Liking the 6.6 gas

3 hours ago, Chepachetchevyguy said:

Have you driven one? You won’t be disappointed. And what are you towing/ or doing that you need more than 400 hp? That’s quite sufficient. And 15 mpg isn’t bad for a 3/4 ton gas powered truck nowadays, mine is getting north of 16 on the highway. Try one out, you’ll like it. As for keeping the 6 speed, maybe it’s just the old don’t what isn’t broke 

But with better gearing and more gears it could be better. I will be checking one out, they are kind of hard to come by in anything optioned well in my area though. I plan on looking at it, but going back to 16mpg unloaded sounds kinda rough. My truck is 6k on the scales, so 1000 lbs lighter and I get 8mpg better? I just think GM left some on the table. If they got 20ish I think that would push me to it.

2 hours ago, MORSNO said:

The 6.2 in the 1500 class is a light duty aluminum block engine, it would never last the years and beatings that fleet vehicles do daily and the loads that many of us put on privately.  The 1500 transmissions would never last under these conditions either.  I'm sure we'll see a better transmission in the 2500/3500 class eventually.  There are 6.0 2500/3500's fleet trucks in the million mile range, HD's are built to last not go fast like a 1500.

Yea but your rolling out a new truck, why do they always have to reuse as much as possible. New truck, new engine, same 6spd?... why not the 10spd the duramax gets?

My 6.2 in my half ton has surpassed all of my expectations for towing. The only reason i need a 3/4 is suspension and chassis. It has plenty of power for the 12k I have put behind it. 

I had a 2000 6.0. Loved that truck. Got absolutely crap mileage. It had 310k when I sold it.

• Like 1

I guess the best way to respond to the last post is,  in an effort to make sure an all new/redesign vehicle is as reliable as possible right out of the gate, it makes sense to stick to some tried , tested, and proven components at first. Likely too many variables/ potential failure points. Marketing also always plays a part and in order to add features in the coming models. I.e. 10 speed, additional axle ratios, active cruise, et. al. you can't and probably shouldn't throw it all out there the first year of a major redesign. 

• Like 1

The 10 speed behind the diesel might be too much for the gas.   It's a big heavy transmission and it takes power to turn.  It could eat up the power increase and end up with the same performance as the 6.0.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I see there are many good questions, thoughts, comments on here about the new gm hd trucks with the 6.6 gas. I also hear comments, questions, elsewhere in person and online about these new trucks but not many speaking from actual experience. I own one of these new trucks and have to say it has been great and love the truck, i purchased a 2020 chevy 2500HD LT Z71 crew cab with 6' 10" box with the 6.6 gas engine, w snowplow prep package and gvwr 10,650 lbs. I use this truck everyday for commercial use and tow trailers every single working day. The truck has performed beyond my expectations. Plenty of power and torque, capability and the fuel economy  can be excellent, i feel this gas hd truck engine is a game changer in this market, i have put 22,000 miles on this truck and my best mpg was 21.9 mpg unloaded driving at speeds of 55 to 60mph, worst mpg 7.5mpg was pulling a 33ft travel trailer 9,000 lbs across north dakota with 25 mph + headwinds with gusts, average mpg highway unloaded is 18 to 20 mpg depending on fuel, wind, speed, driving habits other variables, average towing pulling rvs which drag tons of wind and hurt mpg greatly is 8.5 to 10.5 with 6,000 to 12,000 campers. I also changed stock tires for LT 275/70/18 cooper discoverer st (33") which is same size as stock but aggressive, my favorite truck tire the past 20 years. I have a 36 gallon tank and unloaded have drove up to and over 600 miles on a single tank.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 4:48 PM, Ray Pickle said:

I guess the best way to respond to the last post is,  in an effort to make sure an all new/redesign vehicle is as reliable as possible right out of the gate, it makes sense to stick to some tried , tested, and proven components at first. Likely too many variables/ potential failure points. Marketing also always plays a part and in order to add features in the coming models. I.e. 10 speed, additional axle ratios, active cruise, et. al. you can't and probably shouldn't throw it all out there the first year of a major redesign. 

Yup, It's the way GM rolls always has.  FERD will put that unproven nonsense in any new truck for a sale and deal with it later.  Out here almost every landscaper,contractor etc. is driving 20yr OLD 6.0's they are not driving FERDS,RAMS etc. and in typical GM fashion everything else is shot on the vehicle except the engine and trans?  Go figure..........I think GM understands this!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2020 at 12:36 AM, mookdoc6 said:

Yup, It's the way GM rolls always has.  FERD will put that unproven nonsense in any new truck for a sale and deal with it later.  Out here almost every landscaper,contractor etc. is driving 20yr OLD 6.0's they are not driving FERDS,RAMS etc. and in typical GM fashion everything else is shot on the vehicle except the engine and trans?  Go figure..........I think GM understands this!

They’d have to put 4:10 or lower in it with the 10 speed or it would hardly ever make it to 10th with the bigger tire combos. Rpms are low in 6th with the 3:73 . Probably could go up to 4:56 but that would have to high of a tow rating for someone to pick the diesel in a 2500 . The 6.6 gas got the power  to do some serious towing with the 10 speed and lower gearing just don’t have the engine brake to stop it

Edited by Carolina

• 5 weeks later...

I am new to the forum and am considering a custom trim Chev with a 6.6 gas of course, I like the simplicity of gas. My question is I tow a gooseneck converted 9000lb fiver, will the gas engine be enough for decent towing? I sometimes head into the mountains. I like simple trucks, would a WT with a diesel serve me better?

5 hours ago, Timu8 said:

I am new to the forum and am considering a custom trim Chev with a 6.6 gas of course, I like the simplicity of gas. My question is I tow a gooseneck converted 9000lb fiver, will the gas engine be enough for decent towing? I sometimes head into the mountains. I like simple trucks, would a WT with a diesel serve me better?

I’ve got a 6.6 gas lt trim and tow a 10,000lb mini excavator on an equipment trailer with a conventional pintel hitch, and it handles it no problem, strongest gas powered truck that I’ve ever towed with. no mountain experience yet maybe someone else can help you there.

6 hours ago, Timu8 said:

Good question-I can’t offer any insight into the 6.6 gas because they are hard to find around me.  Dealers don’t order many and the ones they do seem to be gone fast.  I haven’t yet driven one.  I am very interested in trying one out and have read all I can find on here about peoples experiences with them so far.

But, a WT with the duramax can be had for essentially the same price as a custom with the gas engine.  Personally I’d opt for the less optioned truck with the diesel regardless of how much I tow, but especially if I were towing 9000 lbs into the mountains.  I’ve got a 19 duramax now, so admittedly I’m biased towards the effortless torque and towing ability that comes with it, but I have had two 6.0’s in the past......in terms of towing experience and all around daily driving, there is no comparison (just my opinion), duramax wins hands down.  

Some don’t like the exterior looks of the WT, but I like the black grille on them, especially with white and red-I think the contrast looks good but looks are subjective.

Going back to ownership cost and getting the job done, gas is the way to go it is simpler cheaper and powerful enough for your 9k trailer and you could treat yourself to an "lt" trim truck for the same money as a diesel w/t. Never mind longer term ongoing expense differences. Mileage differences vs. Fuel expense is at minimum a wash depending on where you live. In the midwest diesel is 50% higher so gas is cheap enough to more than make up towing differential vs. diesel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Pickle said:

Going back to ownership cost and getting the job done, gas is the way to go it is simpler cheaper and powerful enough for your 9k trailer and you could treat yourself to an "lt" trim truck for the same money as a diesel w/t. Never mind longer term ongoing expense differences. Mileage differences vs. Fuel expense is at minimum a wash depending on where you live. In the midwest diesel is 50% higher so gas is cheap enough to more than make up towing differential vs. diesel. 

Good points-I agree.  I’m paying 50% more per gallon for diesel here where I live.

For me and the majority of people I know who own a duramax, it came down to a “want” more than a need for towing purposes.  Some put a higher value on the options (LT or higher) at the lowest possible cost upfront and over the long term (maintenance of gas vs diesel)....if so then a 6.6 gas is the way to go, no question.  

Others place a higher value on the daily driving feel/experience of a 6.6 duramax, and are willing to sacrifice options if necessary to get it, if trying to fall within a certain budget.  

I will never hook anything to my truck that would be at or over capacity for the same truck with a gas powered engine.  It is however more enjoyable to drive and tow (my opinion only) with the diesel.  The gas will do the job just fine, it will just be doing it (at times) at a much higher RPM.

Thank you for your wisdom on this subject, I appreciate the collective knowledge that this forum offers, I have a little time before I need to replace my truck and the opinions of the group are most helpful!

I've owned 3 6.0s, an '03, '06, '11, now in a '20 Duramax.  I still have my '11 6.0 and it has literally never been in the shop for anything other than scheduled maintenance.  

The Duramax is a power MONSTER.  I love it pulling. 

But I will not own it for more than 3-5 years because modern diesels have not proven to be good long term vehicles.  They're extremely delicate, unreliable, and expensive. 

If you want to keep it, go gas.  

If you want to trade off regularly, the diesel has a LOT more power. 

• Like 1