Liking the 6.6 gas

2 hours ago, samuse said:

I've owned 3 6.0s, an '03, '06, '11, now in a '20 Duramax.  I still have my '11 6.0 and it has literally never been in the shop for anything other than scheduled maintenance.  

The Duramax is a power MONSTER.  I love it pulling. 

But I will not own it for more than 3-5 years because modern diesels have not proven to be good long term vehicles.  They're extremely delicate, unreliable, and expensive. 

If you want to keep it, go gas.  

If you want to trade off regularly, the diesel has a LOT more power. 

This post is spot on.  

Based on my experiences with 6.0 in the past, I wouldn’t have second thoughts about it (or the 6.6 gas) in terms of keeping it long term with little to no issues.

I traded a 6.0 in on my current 19 Duramax about a year ago. Absolutely love the truck.  But at that time, I knew it would be a truck I’d drive for 2-3yrs tops before moving on to something else.  Reason being, as samuse said above, they aren’t proven as long term reliable vehicles, mainly due to the ridiculous DPF/emissions nonsense that they are now required to have.  They are very expensive to repair outside of warranty.

They are more expensive to own/maintain while under warranty, mainly for people like me who don’t do their own oil and fuel filter changes.  But the real added expense that you see weekly is in fuel.  $20-$25 more per fill up on the dmax due to fuel price differences, but I can go an additional 100-150 miles on a tank than on the same truck I had prior with a 6.0, so you have to consider that as well.  

As was stated before, it is very difficult to financial justify the added upfront cost and fuel/maintenance costs in the diesel compared to gas, unless you tow heavy on a frequent basis.  The justification for most doesn’t work in terms of dollars, but it does for a lot people in terms of driving experience.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/27/2020 at 1:03 PM, Ray Pickle said:

Going back to ownership cost and getting the job done, gas is the way to go it is simpler cheaper and powerful enough for your 9k trailer and you could treat yourself to an "lt" trim truck for the same money as a diesel w/t. Never mind longer term ongoing expense differences. Mileage differences vs. Fuel expense is at minimum a wash depending on where you live. In the midwest diesel is 50% higher so gas is cheap enough to more than make up towing differential vs. diesel. 

this is exactly what i did......the LT trim offers quite a bit more than custom and price difference is minimal.....LT is best value 

diesel or gas depends on needs.....the 6.6L gas moves pretty well....bit sluggish first couple of thousand miles but now it really gets up and goes....totally happy

Edited by Dunn
  • Thanks 1

On 5/27/2020 at 8:20 PM, Timu8 said:

Thank you for your wisdom on this subject, I appreciate the collective knowledge that this forum offers, I have a little time before I need to replace my truck and the opinions of the group are most helpful!

If fuel costs are a concern, be sure to understand the regular vs diesel pricing in the area the truck will live and work.

Today, Gas buddy shows that in your location (Ft McMurray) they are priced pretty much the same. 

(Here, recently, many locations have been 5 or 6% cheaper for diesel.  Typically, over the last few years, diesel has been 5 to 15% more than regular gas )

Much different than in some areas, where diesel cost is (in some cases significantly) more than regular. 

I keep reading about 'significantly' higher diesel maintenance costs -- but that hasn't been my experience.  

Compared to to fuel and finance costs on a new truck, maintenance costs aren't even on the radar. 

Everyone I know suggests that a 1500 with a 5.3 or 6.2 will get significantly better mileage than a 6.0, when doing similar daily driver duties. 

After running dmaxes for 10 years (LLY, LMM and LML) requirements changed and I tried running 1500's.  Doing the same duties, I found that doing the same (mostly daily driver) work, the 1500's gave me about 10% better (20 usmpg, instead of 17.5 usmpg).  I'm back in a 2500 diesel, not because of fuel but because I prefer the way they drive.  I think the diesel gave better mileage towing, but don't have enough direct (same trailer, same load, same trip) comparisons to quote numbers.

Unless the 6.6 gas is significantly better on fuel than the 6.0, I'm not buying the arguments that the gas and diesel 6.6's will give the same mileage. 

Is the 6.6 gas the right engine for lots of applications/lots of owners -- absolutely. 

Edited by redwngr

I would agree with points made in rdwngr’s post above-specifically on fuel mileage.  

The last two 6.0 trucks I owned would regularly get (hand calculated) an avg of 11-11.5mpg per tank.  This is a leveled crew cab 4wd on 35’s.  My current ‘19 duramax set up identically averages 15.5-16.5 per tank....same conditions/commute/driving style.  

I have no idea if the 6.6 gas would do better on fuel than the 6.0’s I referenced above, set up the same way.  So far, no one has provided evidence that I’ve seen to say it would be any better.  Without yet driving a 6.6 gas, it is hard for me to believe that (With a 3.73 rear/6sp) it is night and day different than my previous 6.0 with 4.10/6sp.

My preference for drivability Goes to the duramax.  

On 6/21/2020 at 7:01 PM, Dunn said:

this is exactly what i did......the LT trim offers quite a bit more than custom and price difference is minimal.....LT is best value 

diesel or gas depends on needs.....the 6.6L gas moves pretty well....bit sluggish first couple of thousand miles but now it really gets up and goes....totally happy

I’ve noticed the exact same thing. It felt sluggish in the beginning, but now, I’m at 6600 miles and the torque and launch are really impressive. 

On 6/24/2020 at 6:53 AM, redwngr said:

If fuel costs are a concern, be sure to understand the regular vs diesel pricing in the area the truck will live and work.

Today, Gas buddy shows that in your location (Ft McMurray) they are priced pretty much the same. 

(Here, recently, many locations have been 5 or 6% cheaper for diesel.  Typically, over the last few years, diesel has been 5 to 15% more than regular gas )

Much different than in some areas, where diesel cost is (in some cases significantly) more than regular. 

I keep reading about 'significantly' higher diesel maintenance costs -- but that hasn't been my experience.  

Compared to to fuel and finance costs on a new truck, maintenance costs aren't even on the radar. 

Everyone I know suggests that a 1500 with a 5.3 or 6.2 will get significantly better mileage than a 6.0, when doing similar daily driver duties. 

After running dmaxes for 10 years (LLY, LMM and LML) requirements changed and I tried running 1500's.  Doing the same duties, I found that doing the same (mostly daily driver) work, the 1500's gave me about 10% better (20 usmpg, instead of 17.5 usmpg).  I'm back in a 2500 diesel, not because of fuel but because I prefer the way they drive.  I think the diesel gave better mileage towing, but don't have enough direct (same trailer, same load, same trip) comparisons to quote numbers.

Unless the 6.6 gas is significantly better on fuel than the 6.0, I'm not buying the arguments that the gas and diesel 6.6's will give the same mileage. 

Is the 6.6 gas the right engine for lots of applications/lots of owners -- absolutely. 

the 6.0 is usually installed into the 2500 trucks, thats why they get shitty mpg, they weigh more and have lower gearing in the final drive, no AFM and not direct injected.

18 minutes ago, flyingfool said:

the 6.0 is usually installed into the 2500 trucks, thats why they get shitty mpg, they weigh more and have lower gearing in the final drive, no AFM and not direct injected.

Yes, I'm fully aware of where the 6.0 is installed.

Question is, does the 6.6 gas equipped 2500 mileage like a 1500 5.3/6.2 (and 2500 6.6 dmax) or does it get mileage like a 2500 6.0L? 

(or somewhere in between)

Everyone blames the 6.0's mileage on the weight of the 2500.  I get that and understand....but the dmax 2500's is in the same chassis as the 6.0, but (in my type of use) gets mileage similar to the 1500 5.3/6.2. 

6.0L, or now the 6.6L gas, in a HD is still the right truck/powertrain for many. 

I'm definitely curious to hear more about the real world impact of the changes to the HD gasser.

8 hours ago, redwngr said:

Yes, I'm fully aware of where the 6.0 is installed.

Question is, does the 6.6 gas equipped 2500 mileage like a 1500 5.3/6.2 (and 2500 6.6 dmax) or does it get mileage like a 2500 6.0L? 

(or somewhere in between)

Everyone blames the 6.0's mileage on the weight of the 2500.  I get that and understand....but the dmax 2500's is in the same chassis as the 6.0, but (in my type of use) gets mileage similar to the 1500 5.3/6.2. 

6.0L, or now the 6.6L gas, in a HD is still the right truck/powertrain for many. 

I'm definitely curious to hear more about the real world impact of the changes to the HD gasser.

I have 6.6 gas and its not that great.....I know my DIC mpg is full of ****** but still even though I haven't actually calculated it gotta be somewhere between 12-15mpg.....I get about same distance as my 19 1500 with 22 gal tank as I do on my 36 gal tank now, maybe a bit more on 2500.....mixed half and half LA city and fwy…..I really thought it would be better and seems to be on hwy more so but still......

I believe 3.73 gears for new HDs

it seems like completely different motor now than it was new.....I never drove 6.0 so no comparison.....but it would smoke my 5.3 RST I am pretty sure, certainly feels like it would anyway

Edited by Dunn

yeah, you might want to change the final gear to a 3.42 or lower, like on the 1500 trucks, , this is known for better economy but not good for towing.. you'll loose torque but gain fuel efficiency thru overdrive on the higher final gear, an 18" rim with a lighter tire designed for a 1500 would improve off line efficiency

6.6L is the stroker version of the 6.2L it has more torque than a 5.3 or 6.2 which is nice since you wont have to revv it so much to pass  or climb a hill loaded with a trailer

Edited by flyingfool
  • Thanks 1

Sure.

But I still like to make fun of the people that say their mileage is sub-par and then you learn they drive like a dummy and go 80+ mph of the highway.

Edited by CamGTP
  • Like 3

yes this is every consumer out there. "my toyota camry only get 16 mpg", it has a v6  and pumps out 300hp  on 87 octane and weighs about 3800lbs,,, wtf Toyota why cant i get 35mpg in the sporty model? hahaha I wonder why.....:banghead:

Edited by flyingfool
  • Like 1

I'm starting to see some double cab models in my area now, as much as I would like the power of the diesel, I don't tow heavy at all right now. My 6.0 is fine for my duties, so I would imagine that the new 6.6 gas would be just a little better, just don't know if I want more truck payments just to get a long bed.... In the future maybe I'll get a trailer to yank around and see things in, i.e. diesel,  I dunno.

• Thanks 1