Liking the 6.6 gas

Hello folks, 

More 6.6 gas observations, I now have about 7200 kms on the clock 2500 of which are towing my 9000# gooseneck converted 5’er. About 6200km I was unloaded in a country road near Pincher creek AB and while climbing a moderately steep hill when I flattened out at the top I got a concerning low oil level warning. I stopped and shut down, checked the oil several times and it had nice honey golden oil right at the full mark. I did not add any oil. Fast forward to the return home and at 7200km I rounded a corner and got the same low oil level warning. Again checked the dipstick and it was down about an eighth of an inch from the top of the full hash marks. Did it again during a round about run. It is now parked out front of my house, gonna talk to the dealer first thing. My 2010 Cummins powered dodge and for that matter every other car I have owned since I had my first VW bug in ‘78 Never did that to me between oil changes! Maybe it is normal for these things? Oil life at 42% so I am surprised, is this part of breaking in a direct injection mill? I have to say, it tows fantastically even in the hills and the fuel use was higher than my old rig, but not horribly so! It was pretty close unloaded and really only about 5 litres per 100km more in the mountains, but the oil use in a new truck concerns me...

Just got back from a family vacation to the Smokey Mtns with our 36’ TT about 9500 lbs loaded with gear and I didn’t have any oil consumption over the 1000 mi round trip.  Towed great and had no power issues with keeping speed up the grades in eastern Tennessee.  My truck just turned over 4500 miles on the return trip.  On a side note as part of my breakin I drove the truck like I normally would the first 1000 miles and changed out the factory oil fill for 5w30 Mobil extended performance with a wix filter.  I had great luck with this combo on my old 6.0 that gave me well over 200,000 trouble free miles. Hoping this new 6.6 will return the same.  Let us know what your dealer says on the oil consumption I would be interested in knowing.

• Thanks 1

Going in to the dealer , Wed. to check what we hope to be a bad sensor, I re-checked oil level in the truck after sitting overnight on our absolute level street and it was completely reading full. Can’t fault the truck towing in the hills, just get more regular stretches when I stop a little more frequently for fuel. Tons of power just gotta get used to the revs! Sounds like a muscle car when I pass and has the jam to do it! Never had a hint of oil pressure problems so can’t wait to see what the full scan reveals? Wondering if the variable volume pump may set the sensor off for oil level when in an odd position calling for power? If so hope it can be calibrated. Not a leak under hood or anywhere on the new asphalt.

Going in to the dealer , Wed. to check what we hope to be a bad sensor, I re-checked oil level in the truck after sitting overnight on our absolute level street and it was completely reading full. Can’t fault the truck towing in the hills, just get more regular stretches when I stop a little more frequently for fuel. Tons of power just gotta get used to the revs! Sounds like a muscle car when I pass and has the jam to do it! Never had a hint of oil pressure problems so can’t wait to see what the full scan reveals? Wondering if the variable volume pump may set the sensor off for oil level when in an odd position calling for power? If so hope it can be calibrated. Not a leak under hood or anywhere on the new asphalt.

Hoping it’s just a bad sensor. When I got a 2014 Buick Verano (best sedan I ever had, wish I never traded it in but the life of a traveling consultant is hard on the miles), it was about 3 months old when it left me stranded about 15 miles from home in the interstate with a low oil pressure warning. Buick was great and got it towed and got me a Regal loaner on a Sunday while they held it to look at on Monday morning. Long story short, it was just a bad sensor. They replaced it, I got the car back, and proceeded to never have an engine related issue again while I owned it (they did have to eventually replace a part of the steering column for a failed support bearing towards year 3 but that was all).

Hoping it’s just a bad sensor. When I got a 2014 Buick Verano (best sedan I ever had, wish I never traded it in but the life of a traveling consultant is hard on the miles), it was about 3 months old when it left me stranded about 15 miles from home in the interstate with a low oil pressure warning. Buick was great and got it towed and got me a Regal loaner on a Sunday while they held it to look at on Monday morning. Long story short, it was just a bad sensor. They replaced it, I got the car back, and proceeded to never have an engine related issue again while I owned it (they did have to eventually replace a part of the steering column for a failed support bearing towards year 3 but that was all).
  • Thanks 1

Well back from the dealer all is well, no oil loss apparently the rtv sealant in new engines may cause aeration of the original oil till it cures, the froth at the top of the oil confuses the sensor and does not reoccur after the initial oil is changed out. My first freebie oil change is done and I will spend the winter with 0W20 in my crankcase, which to me seems kinda thin, but I am a former diesel guy...

Yes the 0w20 is thin for our motors.  Up there in Canada if you wanted you could use a 0w30 to help with the cold starts but I would be concerned with the 20 weight oil once up to temp.  It states right in the owners manual to use either the 5w30 or 0w30 for temps below -20 F

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just checking in, is everyone still as satisfied with the L8T?

I'm shopping trucks right now and keep going back and forth between a 7.3 F350 or a 6.6 3500. Ram isn't even in the running, I have 0 interest in the 6.4

Camper is in the 12k GVWR, so well within both max ratings. Serious tow maybe twice a year (Indiana to South Carolina) otherwise local campgrounds.

While the L5P is the only current HD diesel I trust, I DO NOT want one. This truck will be kept well past the 5 year time frame on the warranty.

Ford has the newer transmission, bigger/more powerful engine, and lower axle gearing. 

Problem with Ford is I don't want to deal with death wobble, and to get the same options as I want on the Chevy it's a $7,000+ price increase on the Ford.

Interestingly in my research I've found that while the Ford has a higher max tow, the Chevy has a significantly higher payload capacity (yes I know options make that vary)

I would REALLY like if the Chevy had at least 4.10s, but sounds like the 3.73s are doing fine.

I have never found myself needing more power.  I too live in Indiana and a couple months back towed a similar weight travel trailer through the Smokey mountains and had no issues maintaining speed on the grades.  This is my 2nd truck with the 6l90 transmission and knock on wood neither have given me any troubles.  I do agree that axle options would be nice but the 3.73 seems to be a good middle ground for decent fuel mileage unloaded.  I too have the 3500 and have not found myself needing more payload capacity.  Hope this review helps in your decision making.

On 9/17/2020 at 12:29 AM, 2020_3500HD said:

Yes the 0w20 is thin for our motors.  Up there in Canada if you wanted you could use a 0w30 to help with the cold starts but I would be concerned with the 20 weight oil once up to temp.  It states right in the owners manual to use either the 5w30 or 0w30 for temps below -20 F

I hope you aren't putting 0w20 in your 6.6 gas HD.  6.6 gas calls for 5w30, not 0w20.  

6 minutes ago, newdude said:

I hope you aren't putting 0w20 in your 6.6 gas HD.  6.6 gas calls for 5w30, not 0w20.  

Yes I know the op stated that the dealer in Canada had put that in his truck was trying to advise him to get it changed back to the spec.  

I just picked up my 2021 3500HD. My last few previous trucks were a 2014 2500 with 6.0; 2016 3500 dually with the LML diesel; and a 2019 Trail Boss with the 5.3.  I don’t tow heavy - have a 23’ center console boat that weighs about 5000 pounds on trailer. The 2014 had the 3.73; as did the dually. The Trail Boss was a 3.23.  The 2021 isn’t broken in yet (500 miles) but, thus far, it feels really good. It does like to rev and I really notice the power coming on around 2800 RPM. It’s not as nimble or quick as the 5.3 TrailBoss; but it’s 2000 pounds heavier. The door sticker puts weight at 7517. I didn’t want the hassle of diesel; and still worry after the LML issues with the Cp4 fuel pump. I believe the LP5 uses a revised fuel pump (but don’t think a lift pump was added). Thus far, I’m really enjoying the 6.6 gasser and feel as though it will do anything I need it to do.

Only quirk I've run into is for this time of the year. Been taking Gibby out to the woods looking for little birdies. We come back all worn out and she just stands there looking at me when I open the back door to let her in. She's waiting for me to pick her up and put her in, being so high up. Not like when we first leave the house, she pops up there like a spring. also nice being able to slide the gun case under the rear bench without obstruction.