8 speed fluid and filter change

I have always assumed Sierra and Silverado were the same underneath.  I have an 18 Silverado with an 8 speed/5.3L.  Will this be any different than the Sierra with the same trans/engine?  I have just over 20k on it and have been thinking I should do this service soon.  It all seems to work well now, but I want to keep it that way, not wait for an issue.

Had mine dropped, new filter at 20k miles,

Sent from Above

But at 20k? Seems a little much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a necessity, just peace of mind. Kinda like your first oil change and then second, you never buy a new truck and do your first oil change at 7500, earliest the better as your motor is breaking in its shedding lol. Your transmission is no different.

To each their own but my next one is when it hits 50k miles, less than $200 every 2-3yrs is a lot cheaper than transmission breakdowns that could’ve been avoided on these 8speeds don’t you think?

Sent from Above
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Fluid changes are required for longevity.

Simple concept.

:)

While this is true I had a 2001 Sierra and when I traded it in with 190,000 miles I never changed any fluid but the oil and never had a problem. There's always an exception.

• Like 1

I'm going to take my 2019 in and have the dealer exchange the transmission fluid with AMSOIL ATL here within the next month or so.  I'm at 7,500 miles now and this is the same mileage I had it done on my 2002 silverado and our 2016 Suburban.

I've had the fluid in my 2002 in for 100k and did a UOA and it was still in great shape.  I just dropped the pan and changed out the filter and topped back off with fluid.  I also tow a 4k lbs trailer monthly with it.  Granted it is only a 4sp and I keep it in 3rd most of the time to keep from going in and out of OD on on the interstate but the transmission temp stays around 189°F this is with a stock trans cooler.

• Like 3

While this is true I had a 2001 Sierra and when I traded it in with 190,000 miles I never changed any fluid but the oil and never had a problem. There's always an exception.

And this is why I DO NOT BUY USED! Lol

Sent from Above
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not a necessity, just peace of mind. Kinda like your first oil change and then second, you never buy a new truck and do your first oil change at 7500, earliest the better as your motor is breaking in its shedding lol. Your transmission is no different.

To each their own but my next one is when it hits 50k miles, less than $200 every 2-3yrs is a lot cheaper than transmission breakdowns that could’ve been avoided on these 8speeds don’t you think?

Sent from Above

I’ve always done 500, then 1500, then whatever computer says

I'm going to take my 2019 in and have the dealer exchange the transmission fluid with AMSOIL ATL here within the next month or so.  I'm at 7,500 miles now and this is the same mileage I had it done on my 2002 silverado and our 2016 Suburban.

I've had the fluid in my 2002 in for 100k and did a UOA and it was still in great shape.  I just dropped the pan and changed out the filter and topped back off with fluid.  I also tow a 4k lbs trailer monthly with it.  Granted it is only a 4sp and I keep it in 3rd most of the time to keep from going in and out of OD on on the interstate but the transmission temp stays around 189°F this is with a stock trans cooler.

Amsoil is still a thing, thought that was a thing in the 50s

• Haha 1

Amsoil is still a thing, thought that was a thing in the 50s

It’s what everyone tries to compete with. It started 1972, introduced the first ever pure 100% Synthetic (NOT Full Synthetic) motor oil. Just like “Franks Red Hot Sauce” I put that sh/7 on everything lol!

Sent from Above
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

I just keep restocking every time I do an oil change, Transfer Case, Front and Rear Diffs

682df9edaab16f86fc9995abe64ddaae.jpg1c2905d665d1c241110a35ab1b08b9d4.plist6de088d1eca18bce84f8ad28914a83c5.plist

Sent from Above

You need to use AMSOIL's Upper Cylinder Lubricant instead of Lucas's. 

Uppercylinderlubricant.jpeg

Edited by Black02Silverado
  • Like 2

You need to use AMSOIL's Upper Cylinder Lubricant instead of Lucas's. 

Uppercylinderlubricant.thumb.jpeg.bdb203bca53d6c40c94624a29775ebc5.jpeg

I’ve been using Lucas Fuel Treatment forever, it’s actually kept my vehicles out of the shop, it’s an excellent product annnnd, I get it wholesale lol.

Sent from Above

1 hour ago, TXGREEK said:

I just keep restocking every time I do an oil change, Transfer Case, Front and Rear Diffs

682df9edaab16f86fc9995abe64ddaae.jpg1c2905d665d1c241110a35ab1b08b9d4.plist6de088d1eca18bce84f8ad28914a83c5.plist

Sent from Above

So are you using Wix XP or the Amsoil oil filters?