8 speed fluid and filter change

you could add a by-pass trans filter to it, and not have to deal with draining the pan anymore..
I wish there was a kit for it... I'd go for it.

Next time, I'm siphoning the old fluid out, add fresh fluid and call it a day. The filter will be ok without replacing.

amsoil might sell a by pass kit

i'm gonna try running this full flow on my truck next. no bypass, just straight thru. i tried a spin on Derale adapter, work well but i feel the anti drain back valve built into a spin on filter is restrictive and causes the trans to operate at 185 degrees. i like to get my temps down to 145

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Products-10102-Fuel-Filter/dp/B001ELZAUY/ref=pd_sbs_263_2/136-4555928-7921826?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001ELZAUY&pd_rd_r=58e83f13-deaf-42a4-ae96-7bc7f449a471&pd_rd_w=4ALr1&pd_rd_wg=teF7N&pf_rd_p=cc0adad9-73a2-470d-acda-37a71f8758ba&pf_rd_r=2GZSX6XE609X44WF5VX3&psc=1&refRID=2GZSX6XE609X44WF5VX3

Edited by flyingfool

OK just completed the bypass valve with a stock spin on filter, the anti drain back valve may not be an issue yet, i will run it for 500 miles then cut it open to confirm its filtering...

before the bypass valve i was operating at 185F with the trans thermostat deleted too.  now I'm back where i was after the T-stat delete (135-145 F ) 

the by-pass valve is a piece of brass machined to accept input and output trans cooler lines, prependicular to this, are two 1/4" fittings that feed my remote spin on filter.  inside the brass valve is a bypass hole  of 1/8"  separating the 1/4" npt fitting, and creating a pressure differential for fluid flow. the valve can be Purchased from Frantz FIlters.

333.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Edited by flyingfool
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, C Dave said:

Sure would be nice if these transmissions came with a spin on filter like the Allison tran does ! Then even a drain plug in the pan. 

Bliss

the Allison is a by-pass filter, theres no need to drop and drain the pan once you got a spin on.  my current set up cost about $80-90 , but the bypass valve is very important to maintain the trans cooling function , without it it will overheat.

• 5 weeks later...