8 speed fluid and filter change

Btw, we’ve got multiple gas stations in town, all with open bays. Customers that use specifically request Amsoil have not one of the issues of that customers running others are having, it’s outstanding oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, M1ck3y said:

I'm not arguing with you, I'm curious about using Amsoil my self.

The problem with that though is oil is not a part. Its like running 85 octane when the manual says minimum 91, 93 required. I remember there was a guy on here that only ever used amsoil and he ran into some issues where he had to take the truck into the dealership. I think he had massive carbon build up, maybe burnt valves? I cant remember, I tried to find the post. I think he was having issues with it being covered by warranty.

I don't think the oil caused it. From what I remember he frequently made short trips, maybe the fuel he used wasn't great either. 

I'm just looking for all the facts. Assumptions are the mother of all ****ups

If you are using AMSOIL fluids and there is an issue.  Make sure to grab as much of the fluid as possible to be analyzed.  If AMSOIL's fluid caused the problem, which is highly unlikely, they will cover the repair. If the AMSOIL fluid was still in specification and the dealer still states it was the fluid then you contact AMSOIL.  I have talked to other dealers when this was the case and AMSOIL pretty much stepped in and turned it around.  

Like stated above.  Here is a copy of AMSOIL's warranty.

Edited by Black02Silverado
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, M1ck3y said:

If Amsoil is not api certified or dexos approved, how would you not have issues with warranty?

1 hour ago, TXGREEK said:

This would be a question for Grumpy.
Dexos is a cult, oil companies have to pay to be a part of, Amsoil doesn’t need to join and has proven throughout independent testing to enormously exceed their minimal requirements.

We've been down this rabbit hole a few times and any answer given will draw fire so I won't give one.  

I, personally, think along this line:

OEM approved fluid contributes to an issue that WILL require the use of my warranty.

If an unapproved fluid and a cooler eliminates the issue, thus the need to use the warranty,....?

What's the problem? 

Related Questions. Is AMSOIL API Certified? – AMSOIL XL and OE Product lines are API Certified and Signature Series meets all the testing requirements. Due to the costs of testing and licensing each new formula, AMSOIL has chosen not license each and every product.

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

We've been down this rabbit hole a few times and any answer given will draw fire so I won't give one.  

I, personally, think along this line:

OEM approved fluid contributes to an issue that WILL require the use of my warranty.

If an unapproved fluid and a cooler eliminates the issue, thus the need to use the warranty,....?

What's the problem? 

Related Questions. Is AMSOIL API Certified? – AMSOIL XL and OE Product lines are API Certified and Signature Series meets all the testing requirements. Due to the costs of testing and licensing each new formula, AMSOIL has chosen not license each and every product.

I couldn't agree with you more, really puts things in perspective. But on the other hand there's the why. Yes, all these ratings and certifications are bought by these oil manufacturers. They're paying money so they can advertise that they meet certain specifications even though their oil  may meet or exceed these ratings regardless. 

But as a business, why would you not opt to buy into this. Amsoil doesn't want to make more money? They don't want more customers? Why would you not want your product in every big chain auto store across the world. Why would you not want to be the recommended fuel by auto manufacturers the world over. Businesses are in the business of making money. If your not growing, expanding, and using this apparent advantage to bring the business to new heights and massive wealth. Your shrinking, your getting smaller. There's no such thing as sitting on the fence. Everyone else is getting bigger and making more money if you sit still and do nothing.

I didn't know Amsoil has a warranty that protects you in the event major engine damage. That's huge, and worth risking a denied oe warranty claim as long as you believe in their product.

I am reading that right, right? So if gm denies a warranty claim because of the use of non dexos approved oil. (We all know it shouldn't or isn't likely to happen). In potential circumstances like this GM is just being a dick, but fully within their legal right to deny a claim. For all they know it is the oil, its not approved by them right? Amsoil will cover the cost of repairing the engine even though their oil isn't at fault. If that's correct, I'm on board!

Edited by M1ck3y

I couldn't agree with you more, really puts things in perspective. But on the other hand there's the why. Yes, all these ratings and certifications are bought by these oil manufacturers. They're paying money so they can advertise that they meet certain specifications even though their oil  may meet or exceed these ratings regardless. 

But as a business, why would you not opt to buy into this. Amsoil doesn't want to make more money? They don't want more customers? Why would you not want your product in every big chain auto store across the world. Why would you not want to be the recommended fuel by auto manufacturers the world over. Businesses are in the business of making money. If your not growing, expanding, and using this apparent advantage to bring the business to new heights and massive wealth. Your shrinking, your getting smaller. There's no such thing as sitting on the fence. Everyone else is getting bigger and making more money if you sit still and do nothing.

I didn't know Amsoil has a warranty that protects you in the event major engine damage. That's huge, and worth risking a denied oe warranty claim as long as you believe in their product.

I am reading that right, right? So if gm denies a warranty claim because of the use of non dexos approved oil. (We all know it shouldn't or isn't likely to happen). In potential circumstances like this GM is just being a dick, but fully within their legal right to deny a claim. For all they know it is the oil, its not approved by them right? Amsoil will cover the cost of repairing the engine even though their oil isn't at fault. If that's correct, I'm on board!

As consumers, we’re ALL protected if a claim is denied. Just changing the size of your tires can and has been used as reasons to deny a claim. I’ve owned a very large amount of highly modified Trucks and SUVs, never have I ever been denied any repairs. I also have a very good relationship with each and every dealership I’ve ever done business with. I’ve also been using nothing but Amsoil products for a great many years, zero fluid related breakdowns. I just had my breaks worked on, with zero issues of my using Amsoil Brake Fluids, transfer case, front and rear differential etc etc. I’ve even got a G2 Rear Diff cover. I’ve got a lift and dealership has never denied any suspension related repairs.

To each their own but there’s an enormous of good you’d be doing for your vehicles by using Amsoil products.

Good luck, be safe.

3 hours ago, M1ck3y said:

Businesses are in the business of making money.

This sir is a sad but true commentary. 

I use to drag race. I never worried about who or what was in the other lane. That's just a distraction. I ever worried about my place on the ladder. Never took a lane choice. If fact as far as I was concerned I was the only person on the planet. Just me and that darn clock. That clock was my competition and every time I staged my only goals were a lower composite time. That is ET and RT. And every week I got a little bit better. (I raced before bracket racing was a thing, your stagger was based on the national record of each competitor). After a few years I was running on the record or below and winning races. (Records could only be set at National Events). By focusing on being excellent at my craft like cream I rose to the top. Never set a record. Never won a major event. Rarely talked to anyone. Got my ticket and took note of two things. This run against my best run and do I run again. But boy no one wanted to play with me.....

You don't have to have anyone's approval. You don't need to be certified as conforming to some standard. If you good enough at what you do...you WILL draw a crowd. If you focus on that you will get good at it. 

It is so much easier to be satisfied than it is to be successful. Success is measured by an others standard.  Satisfied depends only on yourself. A profitable business can be run on this principle. Just not one with a board of directors. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

I wanted to add my experience changing the fluid on 2018 GMC 8L90

This is in no way to detrack from all the Great information posted by the OP,  the information he proved is very good.   This is only for additional experiences with changing fluid on our 8L90 transmissions. 

Removed the shield and pulled the fill plug.  Then used a oil vacuum pump to pull out most of the fluid from the pan with a dip tube inserted in the fill port.   Removed the pan bolts which allowed the pan to tip down at the end facing the front of the truck.   There was enough clearence to remove the filter with the pan tipped down at the forward end.   Then turning the front of the pan towards the front right tire and tipping up the left side of the pan allowed the clearance to move the pan forward and down.  I did not need to unplug the connectors to rear solenoids.   

Cleaned the pan and gasket.  Then installed the pan leaving the front end tipped down, then slid in a new TF922 filter and leveled the pan and reinstalled the bolts.  Added 7.4 quarts LV HP Mobil one. 

Ran the the truck to bring the fluid temperature to 110 degrees and at that point removed the stand pipe plug from the bottom of the pan.  The truck was level, running in park, and on jack stands for this.  

The transmissions was about a quart over full and this drained from the stand pipe.  Reinstall stand pipe plug, fill pipe rubber plug, and heat shield.  Test drove, all was smooth.  Its a pretty easy task but I miss the having a dip stick. 

Edited by C Dave
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Team,

Wow... What a day!

I finally got all my supplies and proceeded to change the fluid in the transmission (8L90).

In addition to following the instructions from the OP, I also watched this video:

I used the pry bar method per the video to remove the pan. As always, working with a jack and stands is much harder than working with a lift. If you do this as home, raise your vehicle as much as possible. My truck is not lifted. Instead, the rear is lowered 2 inches, making it more difficult.

I bought the same pump as in the video to siphon out the fluid through the filler hole. This will remove about 75% of the fluid in the pan and save you a huge mess.

After removing all the bolts and prying the exhaust slightly downward, I was able to slide the pan out.

I cleaned the pan and magnets... Lots of fine metal on both magnets, which took a couple of extra minutes to completely remove.

I grab the pan in one hand and pry the exhaust downward again to slide the pan in. Installed and torqued all bolts. I give myself a good game. [emoji106]

WTF...I forgot to replace the magnets back in the pan![emoji2959]

I removed all the bolts, tilted the pan and replaced the magnets. To my HORROR, there is a plastic piece laying in the pan (see pictures). Looks like a connector.

PANIC sets in!

I decided to completely remove the pan again so I can figure out what the hell I just broke.

Now I'm struggling...I can't pry the exhaust out of the way... I'm shaking and freaked out.

I decided to loosen up the Y pipe at both manifolds. After a huge struggle and removal of the driver side inner wheel well, I got the driver side collector lose.

I pry the exhaust down and finally remove the pan. Now I have to figure out where the plastic piece came from.

After one hour of searching, I give up and decided to call it a day. However, I start looking at the OP's pictures, and boom...there it is!!!

The plastic piece actually goes over one of the connectors on the back side of the tranny...the ones the OP disconnects. It is not the connector itself, but a cover mounted on top of the connector to keep the wires out of the way. They both have it... One grey and the other white.

Took me another 20 minutes or so to figure out exactly how to clip it back on.

Reinstalled the filter, pan (with magnets), bolts, and added about 7.4 qts of fluid, per OP. Once again, the $7.50 pump worked great.

Tomorrow I will tighten up the collector, replace the inner wheel well, heat shield, and ensure everything is buttoned up.

God willing, I will go for a ride and recheck the fluid after it's warm.

The big lessons here:

- A lift will always be best

- Understand that when the pan is hanging down as you see in the OP's pictures, what's holding the pan's weight is the two connectors on the back. If you force the pan out or accidently bump into it, those two connectors may break. That would ruin your day.

- The safest way...not easiest, but safest, way to remove the pan is to loosen up at least one side of the Y pipe, so that you can easily lower it out of the way to remove the pan. Both sides is best.

- Were it not for the Y pipe, this would be a rather easy, although messy job.

- Ensure you have plenty of time to get this done... Don't rush.

Riccb9cabdd8e35fd9d024577db4495e56f.jpg442a27ae8764b83ddaa63e48fef92c01.jpg
  • Like 1

From the OP... Check out the two connectors circled in this picture. Notice the one on the left has a grey piece to it. That's what fell off and nearly gave me a heart attack.
The connector itself was in place and undamaged.

This is the picture that saved the day. [emoji106][emoji846]21d0f686e6e143cb9a33de24b273ee88.jpg