8 speed fluid and filter change

Hello everyone, if you dont mind i would like to comment.
i have a 2016 silverado 5.3L w/ 8 speed transmission.
i worked at a shop for many years.
using the machine to flush the system can have negative consequences.
if the machine puts too much pressure, you risk damaging a seal.
Also, have seen it where after a flush, debris can be pushed into the wrong part and cause issues.
we always drop the pan, replace the filter then fill it up, remove a cooler line and start the vehicle.
would continue to add fluid while the vehicle would push the old fluid out.
this way there is not too much pressure in the system.
We had seen issues when using a flush machine.
i added a b&m trans pan and added the b&m dip stick tube.
was definitely worth the money!
alot less messy being able to fill it normal.
adding the b&m pan has a drain plug and a additional 3.5 - 4 quarts of fluid.
makes it very convenient to drain quickly and refill w/ the b&m dip stick tube!  
i added a morimoto cooler, and a morimoto radiator.
and finally deleted the transmission thermostat.
reason is i installed a Whipple 2.9L super charger.
my transmission always sat from 180 degrees upto 230 degrees.

after the changes, i rarely get over 100 degrees now.
heat is the worst for the clutches.

Any questions i would like to help!
1D90C973-CD01-486C-835F-AC31CFFD8F39.thumb.jpeg.6e1e7d3ae04ef94dedee3e5985ca1787.jpeg

Would it be possible to inform us as to where you purchased the BM Trans Pan and Trans Tube parts from?

Sent from Above
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, disneybaker said:

What’s makes amsoil products better compared to Lucas or what I’ve used for past 20 years, Mobil one, or what all reviews say nothing better than ac Delco

Is 10sp pretty much same as 8 speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The quality control in the product is one thing.  Every batch is equal to the last. Being a smaller company compared to the likes of Mobil, AMSOIL strives to product a high quality product.  Don't get me wrong, Mobil 1 isn't bad but for the high volume of oil they put out the quality between batch's can vary. 

Another aspect is AMSOIL covers all their products with their own warranty and stands behind it and have been since they came on the market back in 1972.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Ive read and heard on youtube that the torque converter can have lasting negative effects from using this bad fluid before it is swapped out?

I know the 6.2 torque converter was changed regularly but what about the 5.3? 

• 2 months later...
On 2/7/2020 at 11:14 PM, Josh99722 said:

Hello everyone, if you dont mind i would like to comment.

i have a 2016 silverado 5.3L w/ 8 speed transmission.

i worked at a shop for many years.

using the machine to flush the system can have negative consequences.

if the machine puts too much pressure, you risk damaging a seal.

Also, have seen it where after a flush, debris can be pushed into the wrong part and cause issues.

we always drop the pan, replace the filter then fill it up, remove a cooler line and start the vehicle.

would continue to add fluid while the vehicle would push the old fluid out.

this way there is not too much pressure in the system.

We had seen issues when using a flush machine.

i added a b&m trans pan and added the b&m dip stick tube.

was definitely worth the money!

alot less messy being able to fill it normal.

adding the b&m pan has a drain plug and a additional 3.5 - 4 quarts of fluid.

makes it very convenient to drain quickly and refill w/ the b&m dip stick tube!  

i added a morimoto cooler, and a morimoto radiator.

and finally deleted the transmission thermostat.

reason is i installed a Whipple 2.9L super charger.

my transmission always sat from 180 degrees upto 230 degrees.

after the changes, i rarely get over 100 degrees now.

heat is the worst for the clutches.

Any questions i would like to help!

1D90C973-CD01-486C-835F-AC31CFFD8F39.jpeg

How did you get the whipple cooler to fit with the mishimoto cooler? They both mount in the same location. Was going to do the same setup but didn't see a way around it.

• Like 1

If the dealer offers to change your fluid, DO IT!

Last fall I had the 2016 Yukon 8-spd in the dealer for a tire repair.   Previously, I had a few jerky shifts, occasional bumps, but nothing worth complaining over, although the wife made a few comments about it from time to time.  Still in the 5/60 warranty.  

Dealer tech offered to flush the fluid out since I had it in there, said the new formula fixed the issues and was pre-emptive and would take an hour. 

It made a huge difference.  The transmission shifts like a Porsche DCT (well, close anyways) now, smooth crisp shifts, no jerkiness or anything.    

I went from just satisfied with the 6.2/8spd, to very satisfied.

This was exactly the kind of service I expect from a $70k vehicle purchase.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/6/2020 at 7:27 PM, tlaw91 said:

Now you’ll go ahead and begin filling the fluid.

This is what your transmission requires

bb4fd3293d0f453572cdce62e6042b42.jpg

My question is can I use this on my 6speed transmission??? 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This is a best thread ever !!  I am paying 565.00 for a trans flush new mobile 1 ATF and filter change at the local GMC stealership. 4 days ago my wife brought home a 2016 Yuke XL with 86,000 and no warranty. She said it was a one owner vehicle with regular oil changes and not in a wreck. She wanted to surprise me. Well she sure did, the thing shuttered on me between 2nd and 3rd. That's when I learned about all the torque converter problems. Needless to say I haven't had a good night sleep since she brought it home lol. I am picking up the Yuke today I know I have to drive several hundred miles first ( so they say).  Because of this thread I am going to be changing the ATF myself every 25,000 miles.

• Like 2

If Amsoil is not api certified or dexos approved, how would you not have issues with warranty?

This would be a question for Grumpy.
Dexos is a cult, oil companies have to pay to be a part of, Amsoil doesn’t need to join and has proven throughout independent testing to enormously exceed their minimal requirements.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

This would be a question for Grumpy.
Dexos is a cult, oil companies have to pay to be a part of, Amsoil doesn’t need to join and has proven throughout independent testing to enormously exceed their minimal requirements.

No, I get it. Amsoil says they exceed all ratings, which they may; but regardless they're still not approved. So if something goes wrong and gm asks you what dexos approved oil do you use... You say?

No, I get it. Amsoil says they exceed all ratings, which they may; but regardless they're still not approved. So if something goes wrong and gm asks you what dexos approved oil do you use... You say?

I’ve been using Amsoil products for many years, ZERO problems, nothing but the best results, far exceeding all competitors. My dealershipknows I’m running it, they’ve run it through a buddy’s transmission and made jokes “we’re not going to be seeing this transmission in for service anytime soon.”

a066ad17ba2e32e5c9d26f66a53fc9a2.jpg

I'm not arguing with you, I'm curious about using Amsoil my self.

The problem with that though is oil is not a part. Its like running 85 octane when the manual says minimum 91, 93 required. I remember there was a guy on here that only ever used amsoil and he ran into some issues where he had to take the truck into the dealership. I think he had massive carbon build up, maybe burnt valves? I cant remember, I tried to find the post. I think he was having issues with it being covered by warranty.

I don't think the oil caused it. From what I remember he frequently made short trips, maybe the fuel he used wasn't great either. 

I'm just looking for all the facts. Assumptions are the mother of all ****ups

I'm not arguing with you, I'm curious about using Amsoil my self.

The problem with that though is oil is not a part. Its like running 85 octane when the manual says minimum 91, 93 required. I remember there was a guy on here that only ever used amsoil and he ran into some issues where he had to take the truck into the dealership. I think he had massive carbon build up, maybe burnt valves? I cant remember, I tried to find the post. I think he was having issues with it being covered by warranty.

I don't think the oil caused it. From what I remember he frequently made short trips, maybe the fuel he used wasn't great either. 

I'm just looking for all the facts. Assumptions are the mother of all ****ups

Sounds like to me you’ve got lots of researching to do, good luck with that. You should go in Amsoil website and research for yourself. Amsoil doesn’t damage engines, it’s got the highest rated protection and cleaning. If someone had issues it’s due to negligence on their part. People BS all the time, trust very few in these forums especially when everything is cost driven rather than quality driven.

Good luck, hope everything works out for you.