What would you do with a free S-10

Glad that all worked out, Nate! Good to see it will finally put it to good use. ?? :cheers:

I figure the S10 will be that much better with a little more time to plan the build. ?

Glad that all worked out, Nate! Good to see it will finally put it to good use. [emoji106][emoji106] :cheers:

I figure the S10 will be that much better with a little more time to plan the build. [emoji846]

I’ve spent too many years planning and I need to start acting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I know how that goes. I've been wanting to buy another classic ever since I regrettably sold my '72 El Camino during a period of absent mindedness back in 2011. I'm no closer to making that happen than I was 10 years ago, lol.?

• 10 months later...

The S-10 still has not moved!  This has drug out for what feels like an eternity but I have not quit yet. 

Sadly my grandma passed away this year and we have spent the few months dealing with estate stuff.  

A couple months ago we sold my wife's 2019 Toyota 4Runner.  The market is crazy high at the moment and we made a shocking amount of money on a vehicle we bought new and put nearly 40K miles on in two years.  We spent the profit on a 2011 Land Rover LR4 that my wife enjoys more and honestly I do also.  The 4runner was a soulless appliance that was great in every way but had no character. After buying the LR4 I took it to a local mechanic I trust.  While there I mentioned the old S truck and he said he would grab it with a roll back and have his employees tinker with it while they are waiting on the parts trucks and such.  I also have a great uncle (who has restored countless vehicles) offer to get it running if I deliver it to him.  I am leaning towards the shop option.    

Thursday 12-9-21

The title was transferred into my name and grabbed a shiny new antique tag. 

Saturday 12-12-21

I cleaned the truck out.  There were about 9 fence posts, a tractor fuel tank, and 400 lbs. of barbed wire in the bed along with other trash.  I filled up a trash bag from the cab.  There were a few sleeves of paper Coke cups a Lowes carpenter apron, plastic garbage bags, twine, nylon rope, and more all behind the seat.  I did find some old documents in the glove box.   

• Like 1

Sounds like my parents bought this shiny new ride 3-31-1984. That’s almost exactly a year before I was born!

C2E14EA2-BF21-480C-8F1B-2C63ECE56628.thumb.jpeg.5ee4c6cc85c9fc6a514ade4f60fefd35.jpeg0E481093-6076-40DA-AA93-1FBC6B23B1F2.thumb.jpeg.db44b166a0f612df5a2b172a78205809.jpeg

I can’t figure out how to rotate the photos....

Edited by N.Penley

The truck finally moved for the first time in close to 20 years.  It was loaded onto a rollback and made the trip to a local mechanic to see if the motor has any life left in it.  I remember coasting it down the hill from our shop into the field years ago thinking papaw would have it running in a week or so.  The time never came and no one really gave it another thought.  Over the years a handful of ambitious cheapskates knocked on the door to inquire about the ol pickup but they were promptly told to let it lie. I have big dreams of wasting enough money on this project to drive it again.  After that who knows... 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

This week was devastating!  My truck has sat at a local shop for four months.  I feel the shop owner (Rob) and I have become friends over the past 4 to 5 years that I have been doing business with him.  I occasionally stop by to chat and he shows off his latest personal projects.  I was shocked when a coworker stopped by my office to let me know that Rob died Wednesday night in a motorcycle crash.  He was a genuine guy that loved his family and his work. He always talked cars, trucks, boats, and motorcycles with anyone who would listen and was in love with his wife.  Just a great fella that was a huge asset to the local automotive community. We had an agreement that he would get my old truck running and driving when his shop was slow and needed filler work. He knew I would not pester him regarding time or money.  I hate that I will not get to pick up the truck from Rob and shake his hand or thank him for his work.  I pray for his wife, daughters, and employees.  

In a few weeks I will check on the truck and determine my next move.  I really want to get this old truck running and driving again but things are not looking up yet.  

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

There are political forces in play that will tax gas burning vehicles past the point of affordability for most of us. there is a $150.00 and a  $75.00 tax for owning a hybid or electrical vehicle in my State; 2 taxes.

They (the party that raise taxes) are going to do the same thing with real property if we the people don't start voting responsible representative into office. Private ownership of real property will be taxed to the point few can afford to pay the taxes on it. We'll all be living like the Jetsons (they lived in huge disk thick with many levels in the sky. You never saw the earth in Jetson cartoons just sky, space and the surface of other bodies in space.

I think there will be electrification/hybrid kits for some trucks so people that don't have/won't pay over $100.000 for a vehicle that's depreciated to worthlessness before it's paid for; I know I won't; I'll walk, ride a motorcycle. Or maybe stay at home and order the stuff I need over the internet.

That's another practical side to this dicussion.

• 2 months later...

It has been a while since I have posted an update.   In late May or early June I got a call from the shop the truck was running and they had a laundry list of items needed.  I stopped by and it was indeed running but man did it sound rough.  They had all the lights working, new battery, new wipers, new tires, and were chasing down vacuum leaks. 

I told them to completely replace the fuel tank, lines, and pump along with plugs and wires.  I told the new shop foreman to replace anything needed.  

I stopped by again a couple days ago and no major progress has been made but I am completely OK with that.  I am content knowing that it is better off sitting in the parking lot of a garage getting occasional love and attention instead of sitting in a field or in my driveway rotting away.  

• Like 1