Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

N.Penley

What would you do with a free S-10

Recommended Posts

Back in 1985 (the year I was born) my dad bought a brand new 1984 S-10.  The truck is a long bed 4x4 with a 2.8 L and a 4 speed manual and essentially a base model truck with vinyl floor and power nothing.  Dad was ready to trade it in the mid 90's and the dealer offered him almost nothing so my papaw bought it to use as a farm truck.  After a few years pulling farm truck duty it was replaced with a 1998 1500 and was retired to the field next to the shop due to a bad starter.  Now approximately 20 years later it is still in the same spot.  Every few years I have talked about getting it back on the road but airing the tires is as far as that has gone.  When parked the truck had a fairly new motor (2.8), cheap repaint, and was in overall good condition other than the starter.  I have many memories with the old truck like riding in the blue & white booster seat as a kid, hauling hay and tobacco, and learning to drive.  Papaw passed away over a year ago and most of the memories I have of the truck include him.  I know the old truck is absolutely worthless and putting money into it would be asinine but I am starting to loose sleep thinking about my options.  I have 2 car payments, 2 kids, no free time, and my wife is definitely NOT on board.  However I also currently have no other hobbies occupying my time and money or anything to daydream about or research while sitting in meetings at work and winding down in the evenings.  I have little to no experience with mechanic work but I am not afraid to learn.

 

So what would you do?

1.  Forget about the old beater and sell it for scrap or parts.

2.  Get it running on the cheap and enjoy it as a beater.

3.  Build it up with a V8 swap (400sbc or LSX), lift, fresh paint, interior, etc.

4. Do something really stupid and build a long bed, V8, forced induction, AWD, syclone SS 

 

What would you do with a free old S truck that had a few family ties and memories?      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pass.

Can of worms.

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tell this story all the time. The company I worked for had a parts truck that ran 10 hour a day 5 days a week it got around 1400 miles a week on it. They changed the oil every 6000 mile with Mobil 1 5w30. It was a 1998 Chevy S-10  2.8 auto. The truck was driven 70000 a year. In the 6 1/2 years I worked there that little S-10 had gone threw 2 alternators and 3 starters and had 511000 miles on it and didn't burn a drop of oil between oil changes. Might still be going if it wasn't in a bad accident and totaled it. I wished I had bought one just to haul my crap in. Those miles are for Semi truck not gasoline truck. When I drive by that company even today I still look to see that little s-10 has reappeared ( it hasn't of course)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mcgee500 said:

I tell this story all the time. The company I worked for had a parts truck that ran 10 hour a day 5 days a week it got around 1400 miles a week on it. They changed the oil every 6000 mile with Mobil 1 5w30. It was a 1998 Chevy S-10  2.8 auto. The truck was driven 70000 a year. In the 6 1/2 years I worked there that little S-10 had gone threw 2 alternators and 3 starters and had 511000 miles on it and didn't burn a drop of oil between oil changes. Might still be going if it wasn't in a bad accident and totaled it. I wished I had bought one just to haul my crap in. Those miles are for Semi truck not gasoline truck. When I drive by that company even today I still look to see that little s-10 has reappeared ( it hasn't of course)

Actually, that 2.8 was a tough engine.  I've know of several that had gone over 200k with no issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, N.Penley said:

What would you do with a free old S truck that had a few family ties and memories?      

Tannerite

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good story and many us of have faced similar dilemmas.  You are making new memories and your wife is right.  I suspect your Papaw and Dad would also side with your wife against  taking on a money pit at this stage in life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, N.Penley said:

I have 2 car payments, 2 kids, no free time, and my wife is definitely NOT on board. 

I'd listen to the wife?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate all of you verifying my initial instincts. I just hate watching the old truck rot away and I wish I could bring it back to life in some way. If it was a vehicle that was more desirable, valuable, etc. I would have started restomodding years ago.... buts it’s a dime-a-dozen (pun intended) truck. I do not usually get sentimentally attached to anything and I really am not at this point. I just hate to take an inherited gift and trash it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As is becoming the usual I'm going to take the other side of the coin. Restorations are not things done based on value and your statement that is worthless by your own word is false. You find allot of worth in it. Worth no one else sees but you. 

 

What most wives object to isn't the project but the fear that the cost and time takes away from the family. It does not have to. Eating elephants is best done one very small bite at a time extremely well chewed with breaks between meals. Do you have a time limit for this project? If so, why? I've idled away hours refurbishing some small item. In that time found a quite place to think. It is absolutely  cheaper than either a bar or a therapist. Helped me keep my sanity during the girls teenage years and sure it saved the marriage. :) 

 

As a child myself my father did such things and I found it was a place I could be with him when he was in a really good mood. There is one that pays a dividend. I learned nearly everything I know holding his light and handing him tools. How much was that worth? 

 

But if all you can see is an old truck, "Scrap it Clyde".

 

 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

But if all you can see is an old truck, "Scrap it Clyde".

Not before the Tannerite! lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

As is becoming the usual I'm going to take the other side of the coin. Restorations are not things done based on value and your statement that is worthless by your own word is false. You find allot of worth in it. Worth no one else sees but you. 

 

What most wives object to isn't the project but the fear that the cost and time takes away from the family. It does not have to. Eating elephants is best done one very small bite at a time extremely well chewed with breaks between meals. Do you have a time limit for this project? If so, why? I've idled away hours refurbishing some small item. In that time found a quite place to think. It is absolutely  cheaper than either a bar or a therapist. Helped me keep my sanity during the girls teenage years and sure it saved the marriage. :) 

 

As a child myself my father did such things and I found it was a place I could be with him when he was in a really good mood. There is one that pays a dividend. I learned nearly everything I know holding his light and handing him tools. How much was that worth? 

 

But if all you can see is an old truck, "Scrap it Clyde".

 

 

Good points as usual, Grumpy.  I own many items of refurbished memorabilia from past generations  of family.  Unfortunately, none of my children share my level of attachment to "things" and I am facing some tough decisions as I downsize.  I also inherited my father's vehicles.  I realized after a couple of years of funding these that my father would have already sold and moved on from these vehicles if he was alive. The money going to my sentimental attachment was not going to my family's current need and wants.   Op's Dad gave up on the S10 and his Papaw subsequently left it to the elements. They had moved on to other vehicles.  BTW  I found keeping a name badge off my father's vehicles kept the sentimental side of me at peace. ? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It all really depends on what value you place on it. I'd say get it running on the cheap and make a fun little fishing/hunting beater out of it. Share the good ol memories you have in it with your children as your making new ones with them. But then again this is all based off the value you have it. No one here is going to be able to give the right answer. Do what's best for YOU.

 

I'm only 29 but when I was 15 my family lost everything when my dad got sick. I was on my own whith a travel bag full of clothes at 17. I really wish I had some of the old junk that was around the house from my childhood now. (This may be the beginning of a hoarder so my kids can have old junk lol) like I said do what you need to do.

 

Sent from my SM-J337R4 using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Superman_XCI said:

 Do what's best for YOU.

I agree that our suggestions are for information only and it is entirely up to the Op.  I will add that financial decisions when married best be treated as joint decisions.  I will say with the utmost confidence to Op that it will not be "best for you" if you do this without your wife being on board.  She doesn't have to love the idea but she can't be opposed.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I agree that our suggestions are for information only and it is entirely up to the Op.  I will add that financial decisions when married best be treated as joint decisions.  I will say with the utmost confidence to Op that it will not be "best for you" if you do this without your wife being on board.  She doesn't have to love the idea but she can't be opposed.  


My wife is just not interested in the truck. She does not mind me spending time and money into it. This would in no way be a financial burden on our family or anything. It would be a hobby and interest she would not share with me and typically our hobbies do align. She also doesn’t want an ugly vehicle sitting in the driveway at the house but I have shop space at the farm.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have the talent and desire go for it. It priceless to you and that’s all that matters.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.