Stans 02 Avalanche maintenance

I wasn’t really going to do this unexciting topic. It be Could be comic relief in these fun times. I couldn’t have been happier with this purchase. Photos can’t do this justice on how clean this is. The maintenance records couldn’t been better. The photo is in my sig. 02 Avalanche Z65 165K miles. 5700$. Did all fluids first week, treatment on plastic panels. Wax the paint. Fun stuff so far. After a few weeks of bliss here we go. First off I hate sun roofs. I debated sealing it, easy to do. I wash a lot. Several small rains seems fine. Hold off sealing. Heavy rains over the weekend. I get in to do drive to my walking track. Water starts dripping on my crotch. Oh no. I shove a towel in the over head cubby hole it came from. Got home carpets wet. So the drying process begins. Sun comes out I seal the the roof. Another rain comes mission accomplished. I ordered a battery powered fan from Amazon. My house one is to big. Monday morning drive to my walking trail no AC sh$t. The next project. Maybe I’ll hold off selling my 92 for now. Will update later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Growing pains for the most part.  Looking forward to this adventure. [emoji4]

I can fade the heat. Not my main family ride. Buying a use car not for the faint of heart. Especially if you’re a family on a budget. There’s plenty of cheap new cars to buy. If you’re mechanical no big deal.

I'm signed up! Let 'r rip tater chip. I love projects like this. Need more closeup's. Please. 

Oh man. I’m technically challenged when it comes to uploading photos. I got Tapatalk down and it went freaky. I can do everything but photos. The other service my pictures are sideways. I use only my phone. My wife’s computer is a no go zone.

• Haha 1

Ok AC guys. I hooked up my low side fill AC can. Left over from charging the 92. It read high. I let out some. It went to high green AC came on. The line got cool. I gave it gas pressure went up. It stayed on a bit then cycled off. Cooler air blowing in. Pressure goes down ac comes back on. Normal or a restriction?

What is your ambient air temperature outside? It could be cold enough where you don't need the compressor on full duty cycle so it is just going on and off. You could also have it overcharged too like you mentioned.

What is your ambient air temperature outside? It could be cold enough where you don't need the compressor on full duty cycle so it is just going on and off. You could also have it overcharged too like you mentioned.

It’s warming up. The last month is hasn’t been that warm but humid. I had it set on auto. Today is warm and humid. I’m thinking it’s overcharged. I’m going to release a tad more. I was concerned about the low side increasing with increased RPMs. The compressor did cycle out. Them back on when the pressure dropped. I never did the acceleration test before. It could be normal, that’s why I asked. Thank you.

Update. Freezes my tootsie going my 9 miles to my walking trail. Not on my way home. Hummm. Tomorrow I’ll go with it off. See if works home.

It cooled like crazy home. I hit the front with water with the RPM steady at 2K. Low pressure gauge stays steady. Looking like dirty condenser or faulty fan. Strange no water temperature increase.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Update on AC. It continued to be part time working. I replaced the low pressure switch. No change. I finally took it to my long time mechanic. The weather is starting to get hot. I have low tolerance for a hot vehicle. Pick it up last night. Broken O-ring. Possibly I semi fixed the problem and caused another one. Wouldn’t be the first time. Reminds me of the my first tune up on my 68 Impala. I put the rotor on backwards. Unfortunately I did it during lunch break around about 30 people who worked for my father. They all pretty much knew what I did and like a chorus said turn the rotor around. I heard about until I did a different stupid teenage thing on the job. Now my left and right brain are at war. Put duals on it!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Update on AC. It continued to be part time working. I replaced the low pressure switch. No change. I finally took it to my long time mechanic. The weather is starting to get hot. I have low tolerance for a hot vehicle. Pick it up last night. Broken O-ring. Possibly I semi fixed the problem and caused another one. Wouldn’t be the first time. Reminds me of the my first tune up on my 68 Impala. I put the rotor on backwards. Unfortunately I did it during lunch break around about 30 people who worked for my father. They all pretty much knew what I did and like a chorus said turn the rotor around. I heard about until I did a different stupid teenage thing on the job. Now my left and right brain are at war. Put duals on it!

Glad it was something simple.  Some times those are the hardest to figure out.   I also had a 68 Impala Custom.  Here is a picture of it on Daytona Beach back in the late 80's.

impaladaytonabeach.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well the AC is definitely fixed. And another heavy rain showed up 3 inches worth. The carpet got a little wet this time. Not nearly as bad since sealing the sun roof. After doing research, surprise. It’s a common problem with Avalanches. I live on a hill. So I’m trying just turning it around. So far that seems to work. I bought a cool little fan off amazon. It’s battery powered and lasts awhile on low. I’ll gradually look for the leak if it returns. With the heat coming and the fan. Mold and mildew wouldn’t be a problem.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back from a 1,000 miles round trip. Took my brother in law to get his camper. Just got missed by a tornado. The nineteen year old truck was flawless. I’ll personally never buy new again. With the heavy rain there overnight the carpet just got damp. I’ve since done more sealing. I’m at 171K miles now. I can’t believe how new this thing looks. From all the research I’ve done. It appears just general maintenance was done. At 167K miles the first transmission service was done. Same with the power steering and rear end. Oil change with the light. Cabin filter once. Antifreeze with the water pump change at 160K. It has a trailer brake inside but the hitch looks unused. That’s it for now.

• Like 2