Stans 02 Avalanche maintenance

• 4 weeks later...

Figured since I had a recent photo after I treated all the body armor.  I post a picture. She’s been a gem. Driving it more often still amounts to about 18 miles a day. Had a little twinge of it’s time for something else. One ride in a knowing what you got ride quickly silent the thought. It was fun in the past when I was younger. After so many it’s been gently driven lies, this one is staying.

IMG_0542.jpeg

Edited by KARNUT
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

As I stated yesterday the AC warmed a little. I bought a 40$ can of R-134 fill with a low side gauge. My compressor was still cycling so filling was a breeze. The can instructions were very informative. Putting the gauge on the money. My 18 mile round trip was very pleasant. If it leaks out quick dye will go in. Then I will decide if I want to address it or I’ll be able to point and say change that. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

You’re not going to believe this. Especially since I’ve made it clear I like performance. Even the odyssey performs surprisingly well. Going on 4 years with the Avalanche. I don’t get on it. With 373 gears she should run pretty good. It’s got over 180K miles, I’m just chicken. Well someone was pushing my button yesterday tailgating me. They still haven’t raised the speed limit on the road they’d been working on. It’s done nice smooth and pretty. Put it back to 60. So I’m doing 50 a guy is on me. We get to a red light no one is coming towards us he’s going to bolt to pass on green. I just feel it. Racer Stan is engaged. Bring her up on the converter, green nail it. She spins a little snaps off second gear, gone. Ease back to 50, mission accomplished. And the rods aren’t knocking oil pressure is good. And the guy got the message. I wonder how she’ll sound this morning?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Observation with the last oil change. This time with Valvoline high mileage max life. With an oil change my oil pressure goes higher at around 3K it starts dropping. Enough to notice not too low. With max life it’s higher. It will be interesting to see how much it drops around 3K miles. I usually change shortly after.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

The low coolant light came on today. It does it about 3 times a year. This month Im at 4 years with this Avalanche. No visible water in oil or leaks. My younger self would be frantically looking for the cause. My last hot rod truck cured me of that. The stroked blown monster it was. Went 12 years using 1qt every 500 miles with no smoking. Performance cats probably helped with that. Both trucks were for my pleasure only. Proving to me sometimes chasing perfection can be a waste of time. I wish I’d learned that many years ago. 

Edited by KARNUT
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Proving to me sometimes chasing perfection can be a waste of time. I wish I’d learned that many years ago. 

In my case, arthritis forced that lesson on me. If not for that I would probably would still be my ****** and OCD do it yourself-er. On a related note, as the proverbial roll of toilet paper gets closer to the end, I find I have less and less patience for things or people that waste my time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, garagerog said:

In my case, arthritis forced that lesson on me. If not for that I would probably would still be my ****** and OCD do it yourself-er. On a related note, as the proverbial roll of toilet paper gets closer to the end, I find I have less and less patience for things or people that waste my time.

Wow, 6 asterisks for a 4 letter word that starts with a and ends with l and has na in between. I assume the censoring is an automatic algorithm, maybe they have started using AI that thinks a body part is a really, really bad thing!

Edited by garagerog
  • Haha 2