Let's install the "upfitter switches"

Just did my switch install on my 21 At4 1500. And boy it there a lot more to it if you have to replace the kick panel. There is a YouTube video I also followed for that part (CJ Garage) where he installs the whole kit on a Silverado. Only part I had to figure out was the wireless charger and cup holder removal to get to the bottom two screws on the entertainment unit. Photo is of truck taken apart.  

Thank you OP for the write up. Helped on parts of the install :) 

Dash Photo 8.jpg

Dash photo 3.jpg

My 21 AT4 came with the switches installed and I’ve had the wiring sitting in the console for months. Thanks to this thread I got it all installed on Saturday, just took a couple hours. The most difficult part was getting the fuse box screws installed without removing the whole kick panel. 

I still need to run some wires back through the firewall for accessories. What gauge wires is everyone using for that? Loom or no loom? 

Edited by TheElementalCashew

On 10/11/2021 at 8:23 PM, Cali Crusin said:

Man you all are so lucky that the newer trucks have this factory (custom) option.. I have a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT that I want to add switches for, but I don't think this will work for me. Am I correct in that?IMG_4690.HEIC

You might be able to hack the switch wiring up to get it work for you, but it wouldn't be nearly as straightforward as it is on the new trucks. These ones have harnesses and plugs already in place so it's basically plug and play. 

Good afternoon. I bought the upfitter switch parts kit, that includes the switch housing, the GM harness, the battery cabling as well as the replacement knee panel to house the upfitter switches. 

I took it to the dealership to have them install, and they had a question about the he fuses. There is a 60 amp and 200 amp fuse that comes with the kit, and they couldn’t figure out where they go. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Images below for reference. 

55429771-F074-4170-BD61-17BE5797489D.jpeg

AA0866A3-ACF9-40C4-834F-56822332229A.jpeg

049644B1-96CB-41EB-BB04-C7DC6B0CF3E3.jpeg

Lol the dealer couldn't figure out where the fuses went AND told you that too?  Like a legit Chevy dealer told you that?  F#%@ Me. Lol.  They go in the fuse box.  Installed mine myself recently and ill admit I did skim through a utūb vid before doing it but it was pretty obvious once you get going where they went.  I can turn wrenches as good as the next guy but Im far from a journeyman mechanic fwiw as well.  Sorry I cant search for the info for you at the moment my connection is hit or miss.

Edited by THE YETI

19 minutes ago, Npete78 said:

Good afternoon. I bought the upfitter switch parts kit, that includes the switch housing, the GM harness, the battery cabling as well as the replacement knee panel to house the upfitter switches. 

I took it to the dealership to have them install, and they had a question about the he fuses. There is a 60 amp and 200 amp fuse that comes with the kit, and they couldn’t figure out where they go. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Images below for reference. 

55429771-F074-4170-BD61-17BE5797489D.jpeg

AA0866A3-ACF9-40C4-834F-56822332229A.jpeg

049644B1-96CB-41EB-BB04-C7DC6B0CF3E3.jpeg

It’s super easy. See attached. 

UI-Bulletin_147b-Snow-Plow-power-provisions.pdf

• 1 month later...

I tried this install over the weekend in a 2022 Chevy 2500.  Everything went according to the instructions. 

The aux buttons light up when the headlights are on and then when each button is turned on, the small yellow bar is lights up.

However, I don't have any power coming to the 4 wire bundle.  I first used a volt meter and got nothing. I thought maybe I had  a grounding issue so I tried a simple circuit tester with a long ground wire running all the way to the battery and nothing there either (I tested the ground wire and the tester at the battery and the ground wire was good).

If panel with the 4 aux lights lights up, it seems to me I have power.  However, I'm at a loss.  

Any ideas? 

I tried this install over the weekend in a 2022 Chevy 2500.  Everything went according to the instructions. 

The aux buttons light up when the headlights are on and then when each button is turned on, the small yellow bar is lights up.

However, I don't have any power coming to the 4 wire bundle.  I first used a volt meter and got nothing. I thought maybe I had  a grounding issue so I tried a simple circuit tester with a long ground wire running all the way to the battery and nothing there either (I tested the ground wire and the tester at the battery and the ground wire was good).

If panel with the 4 aux lights lights up, it seems to me I have power.  However, I'm at a loss for what to do next.

Any ideas? 

I'm far from an expert and don't claim to be in any way whatsoever.  But, don't you just wire power from whatever accessory you are installing to the wire from whichever switch/button you choose.  Then ground that accessory in a nearby accessible spot?  

On 12/6/2021 at 2:50 PM, THE YETI said:

I'm far from an expert and don't claim to be in any way whatsoever.  But, don't you just wire power from whatever accessory you are installing to the wire from whichever switch/button you choose.  Then ground that accessory in a nearby accessible spot?  

The issue is I'm not getting power from the upfitter switch fuse box that came with the kit. I wired up a brake light to have a little load on the wire and still nothing.  the baffling thing is the switches on the knees bolster light up with the head lights and then again when you push the buttons.  I'm going to remove the bolster that covers the fuse box and drop the fuse box and see if I can get access to test the connections without taking the dash apart again.

On 4/24/2021 at 4:53 PM, Dan Pemberton said:

I installed the up fitter kit in my trail boss ( 2020 ) everything went well has the center console cupholder so a bit more work hooked up power checked it at the battery and the is power at the cable but no power to the accessory wires The lights go on and off the switches but no power to the wires . I switched the 5 amp fuse in their positons but still no power to the leads   Anybody have this problem ? Thanks 

Yup...I am right now.  Did you solve this?  If so, how?

21 hours ago, Winnie2020 said:

The issue is I'm not getting power from the upfitter switch fuse box that came with the kit. I wired up a brake light to have a little load on the wire and still nothing.  the baffling thing is the switches on the knees bolster light up with the head lights and then again when you push the buttons.  I'm going to remove the bolster that covers the fuse box and drop the fuse box and see if I can get access to test the connections without taking the dash apart again.

Hmm i installed mine all and see the lights will light up when i press a button.  Have yet to wire anything to them.  I assumed I would be good to go when I do.  Keep us posted as you check it out going forward here.

Fwiw. I dont believe my switches light up with the headlights.  But I've never specifically took note of that.  Maybe I'll  check it out if they do when i manual turn the headlights on. 

Edited by THE YETI

9 hours ago, Winnie2020 said:

It isn’t really baffling that the lights on your switches work. They likely get power/signal from where you connected them to the body harness under the dash, not from the battery. That’s how they know to turn on with your headlights, etc. 

As to why you aren’t getting power, I don’t really have any ideas other than to check and re-check all your connections. Also make sure you installed the fuse on the battery correctly. Maybe check that fuse and make sure it isn’t broken already. 

11 hours ago, TheElementalCashew said:

It isn’t really baffling that the lights on your switches work. They likely get power/signal from where you connected them to the body harness under the dash, not from the battery. That’s how they know to turn on with your headlights, etc. 

As to why you aren’t getting power, I don’t really have any ideas other than to check and re-check all your connections. Also make sure you installed the fuse on the battery correctly. Maybe check that fuse and make sure it isn’t broken already. 

from what I saw /read on interweb

did you install teh fuses int eh under hood fuse box?

apparently the switch LED power is NOT the load power..it is switched through a contactor.