Let's install the "upfitter switches"

I installed the up fitter kit in my trail boss ( 2020 ) everything went well has the center console cupholder so a bit more work hooked up power checked it at the battery and the is power at the cable but no power to the accessory wires The lights go on and off the switches but no power to the wires . I switched the 5 amp fuse in their positons but still no power to the leads   Anybody have this problem ? Thanks 

I installed the up fitter kit in my trail boss ( 2020 ) everything went well has the center console cupholder so a bit more work hooked up power checked it at the battery and the is power at the cable but no power to the accessory wires The lights go on and off the switches but no power to the wires . I switched the 5 amp fuse in their positons but still no power to the leads   Anybody have this problem ? Thanks 
Check the plug where the cable that came through the firewall is connected. If not in far enough, or in the wrong slot when you plugged it into the provided receptacle then you could be experiencing what you described. I had a similar issue with mine, and that's where the problem was. Installer error.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Just did the complete install last night... to include completely removing the knee bolster. What a pain in the ***! This discussion was incredibly helpful as I have the center console and could not figure out how to get the lower trim off the radio area.

Thanks to all who have contributed to the how-to!

Did this install today, it was way easier to cut the panel for the switches than replace the entire bolster.   Huge thanks to the OP for this, it would be pretty daunting without it.  Even the youtube stuff I found was only to remove everything and replace the bolster. 

Anyone know what the part # or where to get the little zip tie attachments that are held by the panel clips for the battery cable under the hood?  I've looked around but haven't been able to find anything similar.  I ended up cutting mine off, because where they were installed there was no way they were matching up with the battery attachment site and the panel clips in my 21' AT4 and I couldn't slide them on the shilding.  

I do wish GM was smart and put the relays/fuses/power under the hood and just ran wires to the switches in the dash.  That or at least but 3 of them under the hood and keep 2 inside.  It seems kinda ridiculous to have to run those little 12-14ga power wires back under the hood and to the battey area to hook stuff up or attach say 8/10ga wire to them and try to get that back out of the firewall to the hood/roof area.  I suppose if you wanted something powered in the bed it might work to just drop underneath by the seat.  Looking at wiring diagrams while the relay/fuse/switch might be 20 and 30 amp, 30 amps at 12-14ga wiring isn't even recommended for more than a couple feet.   10ga is the minimum for a 10' run and 30amps.   

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any issues with a power draw after the upfitter switch install?? My truck has had 2 completely drained batteries over the last 3 weeks, each time after a few days of not going anywhere. 

Fuses are placed to only allow power once ignition is on. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2021 at 1:15 PM, Thaflood said:

I never got around to doing this project and just sold my truck. I have the entire kit still in the box if anybody is interested in it. I also have the rear trailer camera that plugs into the bumper available. 

What do you want for the camera shipped? 

On 7/16/2021 at 1:15 PM, Thaflood said:

I never got around to doing this project and just sold my truck. I have the entire kit still in the box if anybody is interested in it. I also have the rear trailer camera that plugs into the bumper available. 

I am interested in the camera if not sold.

• 1 month later...

Thank You All !!  Awesome info. Just joined this portal. Awaiting my 2022 2500HD Duramax, after my 2016 totaled in multi vehicle pileup.  These postings are so helpful like the GMC Motorhome Int'l Club. I've restored a '73 GMC 26ft. Has Olds 455 front wheel drive, four wheel rear independent susp. w/air bags. Owners' of these share tons of never ending upgrades.

Example just for kicks : One GMC motorhome owner, Chuck Stoddard (Stoddard Porsche/Audi, Mentor, Oh.), had Hellwig Mfg. custom make a 2x size front replacement sway bay, and never before, dual rear swaybars. 12,000 lb. coach now drives like a Z-71 pickup.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally did the install.  Got the truck may 27th of this year and had the "kit" sitting under the center seat storage waiting for ambition to build.  Took 5-10 mins to run the wire along the firewall and into the cab.  A little time to take the dash apart and put back together.  Was pretty straight forward thanks to your post.  Hardest part was definately the 2 screws to mount the fusebox.  I was lucky to have some extra torx screws from a mudflap install when replacing the plastic molding deal at the time(think thats where they came from)  so swapped out the hex heads for that spot and used the torx for an easily accessible spot.  Underhood bit to attach the wire n fuses took maybe a minute or 2.  Just wanted to say thanks for the write up.  This (and a ūtūb vid helped for the fuses and stud placement, including plow studs.  Its simple after seeing).

I need to think of something to wire up to the switches now.  Damn. Thats gona be the hardest part now.  Thanks again bud.

Also FYI to anyone saying the zipties holding the loom that have the hole for the push pins to mount under the hood are too tight,  they are, BUT.  You can move them.  Just use some patience (I'm known for having none myself but managed).  You need to gently move kind of rocking each side back and forth and then twist it around the loom in the same direction the aluminum tape was wrapped around it.  Little by little you will make some progress and have them positioned in the spot you need them at.  Didn't really take all that long to do.  Also i ended up drilling through the plastic in one area that didn't have a factory push pin.  Drill from the bottom up and it take just 2 seconds using my Dewalt.

Edited by THE YETI

On 4/25/2021 at 5:34 AM, Transient said:

Check the plug where the cable that came through the firewall is connected. If not in far enough, or in the wrong slot when you plugged it into the provided receptacle then you could be experiencing what you described. I had a similar issue with mine, and that's where the problem was. Installer error.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Great Advice!  That is exactly what happened to me. Went back and made sure I got a good Click, Bingo.  Thanks for all the help.....

Stephen

I just finished my install too. What I had the most trouble with was the 2 bottom screws for the radio. Had to pull out the console/cupholder assembly to pull off that bottom trim. After that, it wasn't bad. Did have a hard time with the zip tie looms under the hood but a little effort and rotating got them lined up. Not sure if GM changed the kit, but mine did come with the 2 screws to mount the relay box. Knowing what I know now, I could do it again pretty quick. It's always the first time that gets ya!