Let's install the "upfitter switches"

Congrats everyone on getting through this install. Also congrats on not dropping tools on your batteries and burning your trucks to the ground! Really nice to see so many of you using the directions I typed in here.

My truck is just over a year old now; I've got 17K miles from driving from colorado to Arizona, Utah, Kansas several times and even towing to Wisconsin for the SCCA runoffs last fall.

I wound up populating my switches with

1) 14 (!!) rock lights all around the perimeter. My wife made fun of me until the first time we went camping, and now we use them all the time.

2) Baja Designs Squadron Pros in switches 2 and 3 - the latter I have outside on the base of the a-pillar for ditch lights. Same deal as above :)

3) Switch #4 is to a pair of Viair 450C compressors, in the bed below the front of the camper. That was also a crazy project - and I'm not done, I have discovered I really need a tank for that thing.

I went to use #5 for something, but I just couldn't let myself drill a hole in the third brake light housing then run a wire to who-knows-what. Someone on here had the good idea of just following the lead from the switch and running another wire out the firewall. If I ever need a 5th thing that's what I'll do.

Congrats all - love to see the instructions in use and the stuff you've added to your trucks.

Happy motoring!

On 2/22/2021 at 8:53 AM, mrjulian416 said:

--I had bought four 10' coils of TXL wire in blue, brown, gray, and yellow (Wire Barn TXL wire).  I taped these four wires to the 10g  feed wire before pushing through the firewall grommet.  A little wrestling with the foam under the dash, back and forth pushing from above and pulling from below, I successfully got the 10g feed in and connected, as well has having the four switched lines running back out to the engine compartment.

What size wiring did you order for the the four wires?  As I understand the switches have 20 and 30 amp ratings. 

My truck is being built next week, and I ordered it with the upfitter switches.  I'd like to do the same as you and prewire the switches into the engine bay when I complete the upfitter switch installation.

Thank you!

I don't want to see like an idiot here but are the switches ment to control the relay of the added device/fixture or to also power the device or fixture directly?

My initial assumption was they were to be connected to the relay of the device but as you guys talked about the fuses and wire gages on the different switches it sounds like they power the device directly.

thank you in advance.

Just want to let you guys know that originalgmautoparts.com has 84942073. They operate out of Vic Canever Chevrolet in Fenton, MI. $150 including tax for the whole kit. I live local so I went and picked it up this morning to save the shipping cost. I asked them how they got it because so many of us are having issues finding it. He said it was not an issue at all. Parts were on site in 3 days. Told him I was putting his info on this forum and to expect some orders. :) 

Can't wait to get these installed. Lot's of fantastic info in this tread. Kuddos to you gentlemen for taking the time to help the greater good. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 9:31 PM, Transient said:

Is there a way to disconnect the wire without cutting it? Only asking because I may want to reconnect it at a future date, but want the 5th switch now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

T tap it should work just fine.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 3:04 PM, mrjulian416 said:

They are meant to power the devices directly.  The aux fuse box that gets installed contains relays and fuses.

Thank you for the confirmation. 

Ok so this is greatly appreciated. On my 21 3500, the knee panel doesn't come out that easy at all. I have a bank of 8 Cole Hearse type switches to install and I need some room. I spent 2 hours trying to get things apart enough and I then abandoned the idea (for now) and I am wondering what is behind this flat surface on the centre console? This would work ok for me so I'm just wondering if anyone has actually pulled that?

20210324_151110[1].jpg

19 hours ago, ArrowsmithPML said:

Ok so this is greatly appreciated. On my 21 3500, the knee panel doesn't come out that easy at all. I have a bank of 8 Cole Hearse type switches to install and I need some room. I spent 2 hours trying to get things apart enough and I then abandoned the idea (for now) and I am wondering what is behind this flat surface on the centre console? This would work ok for me so I'm just wondering if anyone has actually pulled that?

20210324_151110[1].jpg

Ok I found this on the web and credit the original poster. But this is a detailed on how to remove the console it takes time BUT makes all life easier. You will need those plastic tools to remove interior panels. The hardest part was removing the dash trim around the radio assembly. The second hardest part was putting together the side panel and making sure it slipped into the slot. You WILL NEED Microsoft Office / word to view this. It will down load to you computer.

Chuck

How To remove console.docx

Edited by Gecko50
  • Thanks 1

For you guys installing this, I have a 2021 2500 HD and things look just a bit different on the electrical side and I have a question/favor to ask if any of you have the second battery:  Can you post a picture of the open fuse box on the 2nd Battery?  The GM part # is 84663447 and I cannot get  a clear answer whether the box contains the relays and fuses or it is just bare and you need to add.  From the cost it seems it should have the guts.

Also, I went to order the kit 84942073 for the 9L7 ( upfitter switches) and it seemed way to cheap - like it was $65 ?  that doesn't sound like a "complete" install kit so I am awaiting word back on that.

I would like to install the upfitters with the 2nd battery for trailering and I work out of my truck bed at times so I would add some lights, radio etc

I had requested a few options when I sent in my build but I guess some of the wiring was not done due to some harness availability out of Mexico?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out - great write up and contributions all around :)

I made a lot of progress today but right now the truck cab is a disaster. I have placed the 2 switches where the up fitter stuff would go and I am placing the other 6 on the trim under the centre console.

20210325_115104[1].jpg

20210325_144730[1].jpg

20210325_144733[1].jpg

20210325_153221[1].jpg

20210325_153237[1].jpg

You will see in the second picture there where the fit up of the dash switches is that I did some cutting to the bit behind the knee bolster. As well I have utilized the OEM fire wall port (trimmed the engine side with side cutters as recommended in earlier posts) and stuffed 10 of the 22 wires I need through it. I will have to find another way for everything else. I also have a coax for the VHF radio and another for the cell booster to come through there as well. 

Lastly the custom built head ache rack is getting ready for powder coating. So I am getting very excited.

Cheers,

I went to order the kit 84942073 for the 9L7 ( upfitter switches) and it seemed way to cheap - like it was $65 ?  that doesn't sound like a "complete" install kit so I am awaiting word back on that.

$65 is definitely too cheap. Should be more like $150-$200.

df603ffa510deb6d2fb6a4f047ac4921.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk