Let's install the "upfitter switches"

Update, the truck is reassembled now. Still waiting for some fabricated items so I can place the lights but the interior is just about done now.

I will point out that the side console trim has a slide in/out tab that wasn't identified on the write up and I broke them off. Had to glue them back and then all good. Anyway, see my 2 (1x on/off lit switch and 1 moment switch for my front light bar) and the 6 other switch locations on the side console. 

FYI I found another port on the passenger side in case others need more room to run wire through the fire wall.

This was a time consuming re/re but I like the commercial grade stuff on a work truck over the other stuff.

20210326_134830.jpg

20210326_152658.jpg

20210326_152703.jpg

20210326_153456.jpg

20210326_153500.jpg

20210326_165413.jpg

20210326_165410.jpg

Yeah those tabs on the center console were fun to figure out!   Nice pic post of those.   Yeah I used the firewall port on the other size to fish a larger gauge wire back under the rear seat where I installed my air compressor, still use the upfitter switches to turn it on and off.  Still need to find some decent aux light pics for the 2020 trucks yet.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ekbruster said:

Yeah those tabs on the center console were fun to figure out!   Nice pic post of those.   Yeah I used the firewall port on the other size to fish a larger gauge wire back under the rear seat where I installed my air compressor, still use the upfitter switches to turn it on and off.  Still need to find some decent aux light pics for the 2020 trucks yet.

Thanks. I like to tinker but also to do it right. Installed the drivers side fuse block today and did a lot of shop cleanup (all those bits go everywhere).

• 2 weeks later...

My progress to date... Custom built headache rack to not block the cameras and for service lights and a yellow rotating beacon (tomorrow). Have the big 32" Strands Light Bar installed but not wired yet too. Company logos were today as well.

20210408_105141.jpg

I'm interested in doing this on my 2021 2500 silverado custom diesel. I've never done electrical but have some basic knowledge. Is there anyone in Socal who has done this mod and willing to give a helping hand? I'll provide beverages of choice and some food :). Thank you. 

I'm interested in doing this on my 2021 2500 silverado custom diesel. I've never done electrical but have some basic knowledge. Is there anyone in Socal who has done this mod and willing to give a helping hand? I'll provide beverages of choice and some food [emoji4]. Thank you. 
I'm in San Diego. I have done this already on my truck.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Transient said:

I'm in San Diego. I have done this already on my truck.

Thats not too far from me. I have the kit in my garage I'm thinking of doing it tonight. I might have some questions. I'll pm if you I do. Thank you.

• Like 1

Thats not too far from me. I have the kit in my garage I'm thinking of doing it tonight. I might have some questions. I'll pm if you I do. Thank you.
Roger that! I did the install myself, with some help and support from the members here. Having done it once I'm confident I can do it again.

Just completed the install. It wasn't too bad. Now time to get some lights and accessories. Thanks again everyone.
Baja Designs is headquartered in San Diego. Everything I've ordered from them has been delivered within a day or 2 with the cheapest shipping option on their website.

On 3/9/2021 at 6:03 PM, blamkin86 said:

Congrats everyone on getting through this install. Also congrats on not dropping tools on your batteries and burning your trucks to the ground! Really nice to see so many of you using the directions I typed in here.

My truck is just over a year old now; I've got 17K miles from driving from colorado to Arizona, Utah, Kansas several times and even towing to Wisconsin for the SCCA runoffs last fall.

I wound up populating my switches with

1) 14 (!!) rock lights all around the perimeter. My wife made fun of me until the first time we went camping, and now we use them all the time.

2) Baja Designs Squadron Pros in switches 2 and 3 - the latter I have outside on the base of the a-pillar for ditch lights. Same deal as above :)

3) Switch #4 is to a pair of Viair 450C compressors, in the bed below the front of the camper. That was also a crazy project - and I'm not done, I have discovered I really need a tank for that thing.

I went to use #5 for something, but I just couldn't let myself drill a hole in the third brake light housing then run a wire to who-knows-what. Someone on here had the good idea of just following the lead from the switch and running another wire out the firewall. If I ever need a 5th thing that's what I'll do.

Congrats all - love to see the instructions in use and the stuff you've added to your trucks.

Happy motoring!

Bill,

What rock lights did you go with and do you have any pictures?   Was considering doing the same, maybe not 14, but would also like to do them for camping, we pull in to a lot of places late at night and would be really convenient (even considering putting a wiring harness in the back to control rock lights on the trailer itself.    I ended up putting in the twin ARB compressor under the back seat, fit great, now I just have to run the air lines (going to mount the port in the footwell along the side of the bed).  I ran a separate 4GA wire from where the snowplow fuse goes, and the other firewall hole on the passenger side to the back, and used the line from the switches to power the relay for it.

After reading this entire thread, which was well written and thought out, I ordered my upfitter kit for my 2021 GMC 3500HD Denali DRW. My interior is deep Atmosphere, and I have the keyless start. 

For those interested I ordered kit #84942074 from GMPartsDirect.com. It took exactly a week after I ordered it for them to ship it, but I just got word that it is on the way. This was by far the best price I had found in searching. It was $137.25 plus $18.76 in shipping or $156.01 in total. 

I read where several were having issues in getting it delivered as a kit, instead having to pay more for each piece. Hopefully those issues are now resolved. 

Good luck everybody on your installs. 

truck.jpg

• Like 1

Going back a page or two I mentioned that the kit was listed on the Canadian GMParts site for $65 and just had the title “switch”.  My dealer ordered it in with the part number for the jet black interior- keyless start.  It came in complete. I have it all installed and pulled 4 conductors out the fire wall for my options. 

All in it was something like $63.99 plus tax CDN. Must be a pricing glitch but I will take it!!  Took about 3 hours to get it all in.  Thanks for all the posts!!