2016 Suburban 6L80 issues

Guys, I've owned this truck since Jan 30th of this year. It has 66,500 miles on it. To the best of my knowledge the transmission has never been touched/flushed or messed with. That was on my list to do this spring.

I've noticed over the last week or so that the truck has what I've heard described as a "flare" (feels like a slip to me) when shifting 3-4 under moderate pedal. It shifts 3-4, then the RPM's slide up 500 or so where it hangs, then it glides back into 4th gear. Any other car I've driven, I'd call that a slipping tranny but this is my first newer GM.

I've also noticed a delay in engagement when shifting from park to drive or reverse that occurs when hot or cold.

Not sure if the two are related. The truck is back at my dealer's now to be looked at, but I was curious what the opinions would be. I only have about a week left of my bumper to bumper used car warranty, so I'm afraid I might get the old "we couldn't replicate the problem" until a week is up.

Edited by Prospect62

10 hours ago, Prospect62 said:

Guys, I've owned this truck since Jan 30th of this year. It has 66,500 miles on it. To the best of my knowledge the transmission has never been touched/flushed or messed with. That was on my list to do this spring.

I've noticed over the last week or so that the truck has what I've heard described as a "flare" (feels like a slip to me) when shifting 3-4 under moderate pedal. It shifts 3-4, then the RPM's slide up 500 or so where it hangs, then it glides back into 4th gear. Any other car I've driven, I'd call that a slipping tranny but this is my first newer GM.

I've also noticed a delay in engagement when shifting from park to drive or reverse that occurs when hot or cold.

Not sure if the two are related. The truck is back at my dealer's now to be looked at, but I was curious what the opinions would be. I only have about a week left of my bumper to bumper used car warranty, so I'm afraid I might get the old "we couldn't replicate the problem" until a week is up.

If you're parked on an incline, the delay is probably Hill Start Assist.  How does the fluid look?  Brown, smell burnt?  It ought to be changed and some electronic maintenance performed by using GDS2 software which you can use via a laptop or tablet with the VXDIAG Nano or an MDI/MDI2.  Worst case, you'd rebuild your solenoids on your kitchen table, parts cost about $90 off Amazon plus fluids and the software to do a relearn.

On 3/26/2020 at 5:53 AM, swathdiver said:

If you're parked on an incline, the delay is probably Hill Start Assist.  How does the fluid look?  Brown, smell burnt?  It ought to be changed and some electronic maintenance performed by using GDS2 software which you can use via a laptop or tablet with the VXDIAG Nano or an MDI/MDI2.  Worst case, you'd rebuild your solenoids on your kitchen table, parts cost about $90 off Amazon plus fluids and the software to do a relearn.

It's definitely not related to hill start assist. Fluid was dark red but not what I would consider brown or burnt.

The Chevy dealer has informed me that they recommend sticking to the "severe" maintenance schedule with these 6L80's in this year truck.

In response to my complaint they checked for transmission trouble codes and found none, but they said that they could "sort of" feel what I was talking about - but as far as they're concerned if there's no codes, there's "nothing really wrong with it". They did a pan drop and filter change anyway and said that the minor issue I described seems to have been resolved. They also said there were no shavings or metal pieces in the pan when they dropped it. I am picking the truck up later today and we shall see. 

Edited by Prospect62
  • Like 2

Hope all is well now.  I really feel that the transmission fluid and filter should be changed out at 50k no matter what type of driving you do.  If you plan on keeping the vehicle it is good preventative maintenance.  For what it cost to have it done and how little often it is done, it out weighs the cost of replacing/fixing a bad transmission later on down the road.

I change my fluid out with in the first 10k miles of the vehicles life with AMSOIL's fluid and then go from there.  With used oil analysis on the transmission fluid I go 100k between changes and everything looks and runs fine. 

• Like 1

The 6L80E has been known to have the "flare" issue for a while now.  I had it in my Pontiac G8 GT.  Fixed it with a good tune.  It's annoying but I've never had any issues down the road and I don't baby that car one bit.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Ithan Henry said:

The 6L80E has been known to have the "flare" issue for a while now.  I had it in my Pontiac G8 GT.  Fixed it with a good tune.  It's annoying but I've never had any issues down the road and I don't baby that car one bit.

Yeah I did a little Google searching on it and found that it's pretty common. The "flare" feels so much like a slip to me (I guess I'm old school) that it was worrisome. Especially when combined with the slightly slow engagement of drive and reverse from park. 

Is there a transmission-only tune I can buy that will improve shifting? 

1 hour ago, Prospect62 said:

Yeah I did a little Google searching on it and found that it's pretty common. The "flare" feels so much like a slip to me (I guess I'm old school) that it was worrisome. Especially when combined with the slightly slow engagement of drive and reverse from park. 

Is there a transmission-only tune I can buy that will improve shifting? 

The BEST part of my BlackBear tune is how the transmission performs now.  My primary purpose for getting the tune was to disable AFM but Justin tweaked the motor and made the transmission so much more pleasant in operation.  I too just had my trans fluid analyzed at Blackstone Labs and will be changing it every 36K from here on out.

2 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

The BEST part of my BlackBear tune is how the transmission performs now.  My primary purpose for getting the tune was to disable AFM but Justin tweaked the motor and made the transmission so much more pleasant in operation.  I too just had my trans fluid analyzed at Blackstone Labs and will be changing it every 36K from here on out.

I do have the Range AFM unit installed. I didn't want to tune this thing I just wanted to enjoy the goodness of OEM for a change. But the trans sucks, even with AFM off. I know it's a large vehicle - all the more reason for the trans to give us a little more in each gear! 

• Like 1