2020 AT4 6.2L 10spd fuel economy

My 2019 6.2 AT4 has been about 15.2 mpg over life which seems fairly honest. I have noticed that the mileage takes a real dive on the highway when not using the right fuel, for a comparo I did a tank of 87 out to my lake house last week and got 14.1 L/100km, this week I tossed a tank of 91 in and got 11.3L/100km over the same drive same wind etc. All pretty flat ground with some rolling hills at highway speeds. I doubt 93 would really change this due to my elevation unless towing.

Each time had a few passengers and 2-300lb in the bed. When I have done the same drive with just me in the truck and nothing in the bed, I have found the 87 is fine down around 12L/100km. Seems like the xtra oomph needed to pull the extra weight around really makes it suck down the 87, whereas the truck seems able to utilize the extra knock reduction  at highway speeds to keep the consumption down.

I’ll spend the extra money considering the drop in economy is at least 16% by cheaping out on gas.

I am sure we will get some armchair experts in here saying premium gas is a government conspiracy soon though.

5 hours ago, killramos said:

My 2019 6.2 AT4 has been about 15.2 mpg over life which seems fairly honest. I have noticed that the mileage takes a real dive on the highway when not using the right fuel, for a comparo I did a tank of 87 out to my lake house last week and got 14.1 L/100km, this week I tossed a tank of 91 in and got 11.3L/100km over the same drive same wind etc. All pretty flat ground with some rolling hills at highway speeds. I doubt 93 would really change this due to my elevation unless towing.

Each time had a few passengers and 2-300lb in the bed. When I have done the same drive with just me in the truck and nothing in the bed, I have found the 87 is fine down around 12L/100km. Seems like the xtra oomph needed to pull the extra weight around really makes it suck down the 87, whereas the truck seems able to utilize the extra knock reduction  at highway speeds to keep the consumption down.

I’ll spend the extra money considering the drop in economy is at least 16% by cheaping out on gas.

I am sure we will get some armchair experts in here saying premium gas is a government conspiracy soon though.

I got down to 8.0L/100kms going from Calgary to Edmonton. Cruise control set to 110 and one passenger using 87 octane. While 91 and 94 ethanol free does get better mileage, still doesnt justify the jump in price. Costs $20-25 more per tank for 91 octane. $25 gets like 200-300km of range, which you wont see from the difference between 87 and 91.  

Edited by Snakes709

1 hour ago, Snakes709 said:

I got down to 8.0L/100kms going from Calgary to Edmonton. Cruise control set to 110 and one passenger using 87 octane. While 91 and 94 ethanol free does get better mileage, still doesnt justify the jump in price. Costs $20-25 more per tank for 91 octane. $25 gets like 200-300km of range, which you wont see from the difference between 87 and 91.  

That’s funny! I did my comparison from Calgary down a bit south of Vulcan.

My record is coming back the other way, got a 9.4L/100km run from Sylvan back to Calgary, should be downhill and I was driving slow (110, speed limit). I think that was on Petro 94 but can’t remember.

Mileage from Innisfail to Calgary was really really good. 

i bet you could go lower coming down to Calgary from Edmonton.

apologies in advance to the forum for using 21st century units haha.

Edited by killramos

9 minutes ago, killramos said:

That’s funny! I did my comparison from Calgary down a bit south of Vulcan.

My record is coming back the other way, got a 9.4L/100km run from Sylvan back to Calgary, should be downhill and I was driving slow (110, speed limit). I think that was on Petro 94 but can’t remember.

Mileage from Innisfail to Calgary was really really good. 

i bet you could go lower coming down to Calgary from Edmonton.

apologies in advance to the forum for using 21st century units haha.

We did edmonton to calgary that day but i had a motorbike in the bed. Was delivering it for a friend. When i run 91 or higher its ethanol free. Recently did a trip from Edmonton to Oliver, BC. Topped up in Golden BC, made it to Oliver with just under half a tank. Had 45L in jerry cans so i dumped those in the tank. Was able to get to that big Petro-Can just outside of calgary on the way to Canmore, just as the fuel light came on.  Was averaging low 9’s sticking to the speed limit with my bike in the back all on 91 from shell to get the most range. Chances are if i used petro’s gas with ethanol i wouldnt have made it. 

2B19BCB4-EA5E-4F67-85FF-2A42208D46CB.jpeg

Edited by Snakes709

2020 AT4/6.2L/10 speed. Just drove from RI to VA, light traffic, 670 miles. I mostly used cruise control, 5-7 MPH over the speed limit. I averaged 22.7 MPG for the trip. The truck has 1500 total miles.

On the return trip, 22.4 mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/19/2020 at 2:41 PM, Snakes709 said:

My brother got about 8.5L/100 km with his 5.3 but that was on a long downhill out of north west Alberta.