Need advise, looking at 2018 Silverado with all start package

Looking at coming back to a 2 wheel drive crew 2018 Silverado, and need advice on what to look for. Dealer has one they originally sold, seller bought a new truck and it has the Preferred Equipment Group 1LT and All Start package, but concerned about the 3.08 axel ratio. I have a toy hauler that is 4600 lbs and once loaded could be 6 K.

1   Is the axel ratio going to be an issue?

I was told it has the trailering package and was going to look at it this week, as nothing can really be done here in Michigan till the first of the month.

2.   What else should I be looking at for issues?

I had a 2014 crew 4X4 and sold it to go back to an Avalanche but I am concerned of traveling with the toy hauler being pulled by a 7 year old truck.

3 hours ago, No Tyme said:

Looking at coming back to a 2 wheel drive crew 2018 Silverado, and need advice on what to look for. Dealer has one they originally sold, seller bought a new truck and it has the Preferred Equipment Group 1LT and All Start package, but concerned about the 3.08 axel ratio. I have a toy hauler that is 4600 lbs and once loaded could be 6 K.

1   Is the axel ratio going to be an issue?

I was told it has the trailering package and was going to look at it this week, as nothing can really be done here in Michigan till the first of the month.

2.   What else should I be looking at for issues?

I had a 2014 crew 4X4 and sold it to go back to an Avalanche but I am concerned of traveling with the toy hauler being pulled by a 7 year old truck.

From the manual, you would be close to being  maxed with the weight of the trailer and supplies. Thinking it might not be the fastest truck when trying to accelerate into traffic, or going up a hill.

1500 Series 2WD Crew Cab Short Box (b) 4.3LV6 3.23 2495kg (5,500lb) 4990kg (11,000lb) 5.3LV8 3.08 2903kg (6,400lb) 5443kg (12,000lb) 5.3LV8, 6-speed automatic transmission 3.42 4264kg (9,400lb) 6804kg (15,000lb) 5.3LV8, 8-speed automatic transmission 3.42 4218kg (9,300lb) 6804kg (15,000lb) 5.3LV8, 8-speed automatic transmission with Enhanced Towing Package 3.42 4990kg (11,000lb) 7575kg (16,700lb) 5.3LV8 3.73 4990kg (11,000lb) 7575kg (16,700lb) 6.2LV8 3.23 4218kg (9,300lb) 6804kg (15,000lb) 6.2LV8 3.42 5670kg (12,500lb) 8255kg (18,200lb)

Sorry for the format, first numbers are max trailer weight, second is GCWR.

Edited by JimCost2014

1 hour ago, Lsgun1 said:

If the truck is perfect and what you want aside from gearing just have them regear with 3.42 or 3.73 as part of the deal.

Don't think I can due to it still being under warranty but I was thinking about exploring the cost of a swap to a 3.42.

As long as it's not an E-assist model, I'd probably go for it and just swap the gears and get a tune done.

Though the tune thing could void the warranty if the dealer caught that. Probably a pretty low chance of it happening.

Is it a 6 speed or an 8 speed?

Don’t worry about warranty if the dealer does it and documents it. Worst case they void a rear end warranty but frankly a rear failure is slim to none if it’s done properly. It should cost 3-4 hours labor plus parts otherwise.

Edited by Lsgun1

3 hours ago, CamGTP said:

As long as it's not an E-assist model, I'd probably go for it and just swap the gears and get a tune done.

Though the tune thing could void the warranty if the dealer caught that. Probably a pretty low chance of it happening.

Is it a 6 speed or an 8 speed?

6 speed, but I am gonna pass on it. It was a great price, 40K on the clock for $25K

I did a Black Bear tune to my 14 Crew cab... did it for the trans as I didn't like the shifts. I still have my S Cal but wsn't thinking of going that route... but not written in stone.