Add Z71 package

@Gangly
Thanks! What is G80 gear? Is that the locking rear diff?
Yes.

Actually have a non Z71 right now as a loner they both have front skid plates Z71 as a metal one and then there's a skid plate for the transfer case but neither have skin plates for the fuel tank which is actually really low on these trucks.

If I was ordering a truck or choosing between two on the lot I would actually get one without the Z71 package and save the money and then add the transfer Case skid plate and upgrade the plastic front skid plate to a metal skid plate on my own.

Hill descent control is basically useless for me. And I don't care about the badging.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I purchased my truck with the Z71 option and I have used it to get myself and others unstuck from places my older, limited slip, 2WD truck couldn't go.  Being my first truck with a locking rear, I have surprisingly found that I can get in and out of a few places with 2WD and a locker that some individuals in open diff 4WD's struggle through.  Granted, I needed to the 4WD option to pull them, but I was able to get in the position to do so using only 2WD that locked.  

If I ever go back to a 2WD truck, a locking rear differential will be a MUST.  Though I doubt I will need a locking differential (or 4WD for that matter) more than a handful of times in the next ten years, that feature alone has left a tremendous impression on me and will "make or brake" any future purchase of a truck.

• Like 1

The best and cheapest way is to trade it for a Z71. Or if you only want it for the badges, just add them. I won’t tell anybody. ?

Otherwise, on trucks without the 6.2, the Z71 adds a ton of stuff. It is not a dealer add on package, and much of it is hard, expensive and/or impossible to add after the fact. Different bumper with dual exhaust, two speed transfer case, crappy Rancho shocks, locking rear, hill descent control, skid plates...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Isaac Hinsley said:

Thanks all for the advice and info. 

Also, just to be clear, 4x4 Silverados do not have locking diffs unless z71 correct?

No.  The G80 can be on 2wd, 4x4 or Z71.  

The only major missing items between the 4x4 and Z71 is the 2 speed transfer case, factory dual exhaust and the hill descent control.  Also the Ranchos but those shocks are always up for debate.  You can get pretty much every other item on regular 4x4 like the locker, skid plates, etc.  You can add your own dual exhaust aftermarket if you wanted.  Transfer case you can't add, nor the hill descent control.

Long of short, you can make a semi Z71, but you can't go full unless its ordered on the truck from the factory.        

Edited by newdude
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

The best and cheapest way is to trade it for a Z71. Or if you only want it for the badges, just add them like a ricer. I won’t tell anybody. ?

Otherwise, on trucks without the 6.2, the Z71 adds a ton of stuff. It is not a dealer add on package, and much of it is hard, expensive and/or impossible to add after the fact. Different bumper with dual exhaust, two speed transfer case, average Rancho shocks, locking rear, hill descent control, skid plates...

Fixed that for ya...

Might as well add a 6.2 badge on there as well.

Tyler

• Haha 1

It think it comes down to what are your ultimate goals for the "Z71 package" and your truck overall?

If you don't really have an overwhelming "need" for some of the major items, like 2-speed transfer case, hill descent, etc. I would personally focus on what it is I want from that added package and go with higher quality aftermarket parts. You would be  able to fine to it to what's most important to you. 

By that I mean, you can get better quality skid plates/underbody protection. And I would upgrade your shocks right out the gate over the Ranchos instead of spending the money to get Ranchos that are on the Z71. Then just buy the Z71 badging if you want it.

• Like 2

It think it comes down to what are your ultimate goals for the "Z71 package" and your truck overall?

If you don't really have an overwhelming "need" for some of the major items, like 2-speed transfer case, hill descent, etc. I would personally focus on what it is I want from that added package and go with higher quality aftermarket parts. You would be  able to fine to it to what's most important to you. 

By that I mean, you can get better quality skid plates/underbody protection. And I would upgrade your shocks right out the gate over the Ranchos instead of spending the money to get Ranchos that are on the Z71. Then just buy the Z71 badging if you want it.
This!!

I honestly don't see a reason to use Hill descent control. now if you could go up the hill with that control similar to Toyota crawl control then I would definitely understand but going down the hill really isn't that difficult.

The skid plates you already have the front skid plate it's just plastic instead of metal so order the metal one from GM and then grab the transfer Case skid plate from GM as well, now you have the skid plates of the Z71.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1