Best Bed Rack/Overland Rack

On 4/21/2020 at 4:46 PM, AT4CK! said:

So I've installed a Diamondback tonneau on the back of my truck and I'm working to install Front Runner rails with load bars on the Diamondback to support a RTT.  This should provide flexibility, as the load bars can be used for other purposes, or simply removed.  Just search for Diamondback and RTT and you should see some Tacoma examples.

The only downside with the Front Runner setup is the load bars (the ones that run side-to-side of the bed) max out at 56" wide.  Ideally, I think I want the load bars to be 62+" wide.  I believe they have racks that are wider and will fit our trucks.

As far as other options. take a look at Nuthouse Industries or KB VooDoo.

Can you post some pics of your Diamondback setup? I’m interested in doing something like that but don’t know what I’m going to use for occasionally mounting my rooftop tent (my kids love it - and it keeps them contained haha).

• 2 weeks later...

here's a rack i made for my rooftop tent. the steel cost me 57 bucks and it took about 4 hours to make including drinking beer and bullshitting.

angle iron keeps it in place and i drilled 2 holes on each side and bolted it to the box. works pretty good.

wishing i would have got the 6'6 box so the tent could be flush with the cab, but this way i can jam the quad in there if i air down the tires enough.

20200525_184827.jpg

• Like 1

Ended up going with Yakima and their 78" HD bars. I park in a parking garage and couldn't have the tent substantially higher than the cab of the truck. This works out and allowed me to place two bike trays on the side of it, all loaded. The truck still gets 17mpg on the freeway with just the tent, and 15.x with the tent and bikes loaded.

nA6KKjQ.jpg?1

mYQ0HW7.jpg?1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cseaman said:

Ended up going with Yakima and their 78" HD bars. I park in a parking garage and couldn't have the tent substantially higher than the cab of the truck. This works out and allowed me to place two bike trays on the side of it, all loaded. The truck still gets 17mpg on the freeway with just the tent, and 15.x with the tent and bikes loaded.

nA6KKjQ.jpg?1

mYQ0HW7.jpg?1

what rims/tires are those? i've been shopping around 

• 4 months later...

Hey Guys, I bumped into this post and I thought I'd chime in. We are developing modular (real modular) bed racks using the popular T-Slot extrusion. Tons of configuration possible, many accessories coming up and starting at a great price ($579 for a barebones, but fully functional). Check it out at  - www.xtrusion-overland.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great topic.  I'm not an overlander and am mostly interested in a ladder rack that works with a locking tonneau cover.  My research basically revealed a couple options: retrax with a Yakima hd system or TracRac SR with a Peragon cover.  I'm going with the latter... Had the same system on my old f150 and was quite happy.  I like the retrax and look of the black Yakima rack, but the cost is kinda crazy.  

On 9/26/2020 at 6:32 PM, areyesf said:

Hey Guys, I bumped into this post and I thought I'd chime in. We are developing modular (real modular) bed racks using the popular T-Slot extrusion. Tons of configuration possible, many accessories coming up and starting at a great price ($579 for a barebones, but fully functional). Check it out at  - www.xtrusion-overland.com

I didn't know I needed this until I saw this. Now I want it on my Trail Boss! That being said, you guys need more pictures on your site for all of the options you are going to offer (like the various heights, finishes, and what that heavy off-road reinforcement plate is for).

On 5/14/2020 at 6:52 AM, MidWestAT4 said:

Been looking at this one for a while now.  My planned setup would be this rack with a revolver x4 tonneau mounted underneath that I can still open.  Looking to be able to mount a fishing rod tube over the cab with it as needed, but want to be able to pull the whole setup off when I don't need it.  Possibly a roof-top tent in the future, though I'm no "overlander"...

They make a bunch of other accessories for the F150(and Taco's, of course?), but unfortunately haven't ventured into GM territory much yet. 

Best part, I think the price is quite reasonable @$750

https://rcimetalworks.com/product/18-adjustable-bed-rack/

That is what I have and love it. I went with the taller one so I could walk underneath. I have a "changing room" attachment that attaches to the bottom of the tent. 

IMG_20200809_145955393_HDR.jpg

6 hours ago, dudleyfj40 said:

That is what I have and love it. I went with the taller one so I could walk underneath. I have a "changing room" attachment that attaches to the bottom of the tent. 

This looks awesome! What RTT is that?

I built one for my Tundra, and now I’m using it on my TB. Fit is close but not perfect as I made it to bolt to the Toyota bed rail system. Made my own because I wanted a low profile design... and because I’m cheap. Can definitely hold an rtt, but I like it to hold stuff while the dogs ride below in beds under the mesh tarp. Pic with no basket is Tundra

AD6A12D6-2501-4CF5-A360-2D80F9F64145.png

FFEAFFAC-071A-49AC-AA2B-9F7BB909BF1B.jpeg

12 hours ago, dudleyfj40 said:

I ordered the same rack about 4 weeks ago waiting on it to come in. Do you have anymore pics of it? Looks like yours is on some sort of platform? 

The tent is a Camping labs, I have had it for awhile. It was mounted on my off-road camper and I am trying to downsize. 

I fabbed up a rail to put between the rack and the truck to give me extra height so I can roll open my tonneau cover. Plus, I wanted to use the stake pockets. They make standoffs, but I didn't want to drill holes into the truck bed. I used existing holes in the pockets.

IMG_20201002_160818044.jpg

Edited by dudleyfj40
Picture didn't work
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...