2020 Silverado HD Custom Steering Wheel wobble

Trying to gather any available info before going back to GM on this. First of all I love the truck. I have a steering wheel wobble when I hit a pothole bump or just about anything. The truck has the 20" tires, I'm told tire size has something to do with a wobble. Truck is totally stock with 7800 miles on it. Last Sunday I traveled some dirt roads. One in particular had recently been graded. There were some larger (2") rocks up on the hard surface of the dirt road. The steering wheel started wobbling back and forth a couple of inches and continued to do so. I stopped the truck to get the wobble to stop. I continued on and the wobble started and continued at any speed I went. I tried with both hands to stop the steering wheel wobble but could not. Any thoughts?? Thanks 

I've owned trucks all by life. This isn't normal. Traded a 2010 in on this one that didn't do it. One reason I don't believe its normal is that the first time it did it I was about a mile from the dealership after picking it up, hit a pothole, the steering wheel wobbled and my reaction was "what was that!" This tells me that it was not normal, I was suprised by it.

Could be this?

#19-NA-240: Steering Wheel Oscillation, Vibration, Shake at 80-129 km/h (50-80 mph) - (Oct 21, 2019)

Condition

Some customers may comment on a steering dither (shake) or quick steering wheel oscillation at speeds of 80-129 km/h (50-80 mph).

Cause

The cause of the condition may be possible high road force, out of balance tire and wheel assemblies or a steering gear calibration that is not optimized.

Correction

Road test the vehicle with a PicoScope to determine the source of the vibration. If the tires are the source of the vibration, follow the Service Procedure below. If the PicoScope indicates there is another component causing the vibration, follow normal vibration diagnostics.

The purpose of this bulletin is to outline the recommendations and procedures for diagnosing and repairing steering dither.

WAIT, you were doing above 50mph and hitting 2"+ rocks. I think we found the problem, SLOW DOWN. 

if you were only doing 15-25 then i don't have any input on whats wrong. I would go and have your tires re-balance just to rule it out. 

Edited by BlancoSilverado

When hitting a pothole or bump on the road and the truck steering wheel wobbled I was gpong 35-60 mph. When going down the dirt road and hit 2" rocks and the wheel wobbled I was going 5-15 mph. I knew this would be a waste of time.

I had the same thing for a while with my 2020 Silverado 3500 single rear wheel..   After putting truck in 4 wheel drive on a dirt road and going back to 2 wheel drive took out a lot of the steering wobble.  Sounds odd but it did for some reason.     On rough roads it still felt like the road had more control of the truck that I did and  some steering wobble. .   Dan on another post in this forum installed a SuspensionMaxx SPX-SMX-SSB2520K steering stabilizer that helped his issue.       I installed the same thing and I am very happy with it so far.   It drives much better and has the feel of the 2017 & 2019 2500  I was used to driving.    It was worth the $150 and a hour to install myself.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have the same issue. I just bought the 2020 silverado 2500 custom 4x4 with 20” tires. Hit a pothole on the freeway doing 65mph. The impact forced the steering wheel from my hand. The truck has 1700 miles on it. Spoke to the dealer where I took my 2015 Silverado for service and it was stated that the new trucks have electric steering? This may or may or be the cause but the characteristics are different than old fashioned power steering. I like the idea of the steering stabilizer that was mentioned in earlier post. Thanks for the info!!

• 2 months later...