To mod or not to mod?

I know the conversations of lifts/lowers/mods have been beaten to death on many different forums, but this question is more geared towards the owner of the rig. I know why people do it..because it looks flipin awesome! but my question more lies with the warranty aspect I know I know.. Magnuson-Moss.. But that's not a get out of jail free card. So why did you personally decide to potentially forgo your warranty in the endeavor of truck epicness!?

I know the conversations of lifts/lowers/mods have been beaten to death on many different forums, but this question is more geared towards the owner of the rig. I know why people do it..because it looks flipin awesome! but my question more lies with the warranty aspect I know I know.. Magnuson-Moss.. But that's not a get out of jail free card. So why did you personally decide to potentially forgo your warranty in the endeavor of truck epicness!?

The top tier lift kits come with an "insurance" policy of sorts. As long as you stick to the recommended tire sizes any warranty failure deemed to be caused by the lift is covered.

Her dis an example of BDS's version

fa39f6b7b1c281ee5ac420a745e186a2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I've seen some lift company's do that but there are still plenty of things people are doing to their trucks without insurance.

I've seen some lift company's do that but there are still plenty of things people are doing to their trucks without insurance.  Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk   

It's included for free from multiple companies. It isn't an extra cost. the effect of this is actually been pivotal to the industry it's stopped a lot of bogus warranty denials. (Oh we're not going to cover your engine that failed from a known flaw that causes overheating because your trucks lifted....)    

Also remember they (manufacturer NOT dealer) HAVE to PROVE the failure was caused SOLELY by the modification. it's the same way that they can recommend filters but they cannot require a specific filter they manufacturer use to maintain warranty integrity it prevents them from having a total Monopoly. That's why companies like Fram can exist. if the OEMs were allowed to patent filter specifications they would have a monopoly in that market.

Now tuning is a different ball game. But physical modifications are much more difficult for them to prove failures.

EDIT: edited for clarity

• Like 1

I mod mine because it's mine, my lift was done by the dealer and they will honor the warranty even with the lift. All other mods I have done that would affect the warranty are easily reversed if I'm worried about issues. But with all that being said I buy 12-20 vehicles a year (for my company) and the dealer is really good to me because of all the business I give them so I'm really not concerned about the warranty. 

I understand that the manufacturer has to be able to prove the failure was caused by whatever aftermarket part, Are some people just more willing to go through the the hoops more then others? I'm kinda with Goobax on this on I feel like I am missing out on some inside knowledge...This is my first brand new vehicle everything else was out of warranty by the time I got it and/or was a lot cheaper to repair/replace oopsies.

Because the likelihood of original failure is probably deemed fairly small. The mods added give you a return that outways the risk. Plus if there is a failure with that specific part, it's hopefully covered by that specific company. It just adds the number of parties you may "potentially" have to contact although it's unlikely you'll actually have to.

The other side of "void warranty" discussion is to keep in mind you're worried about a small specific component of the overall truck. So even if "a" warranty was voided.... it's not the entire truck you lose the warranty to the engine, transmission, etc etc. It's a very silo'd compartmentalized problem.  Unless you just do some really stupid stuff to your truck that blows the whole thing up.?

Out of sheer curiosity, has anyone here had ANY work rejected because of ANY mod here?

People seem to be overly concerned with warranty work, but maybe I am just missing out on the inside knowledge or something.
I believe a lot of it stemmed from overly aggressive diesel tuners combined with a lot of head gasket problems particular on Ford powerstroke.

that led to a lot of the insane warranty stories, most people don't complain if they blow their engine up and it's 2-3k to fix but when it's 15-16k and they still owe 40k on the truck that's when they start to complain.

the other factors a lot of people are doing things like doing zero-down loans and then spending $3,000 and modifications on their truck instead of catching up to their loan. the issue is that means that normally by the time something fails on their vehicle they still owe a very substantial amount of money on it.

For the way a lot of people view brand-new trucks and the way that they structure their financials to only be able to afford the payment and insurance and not be able to afford any extra repairs.
long-term rentals would actually make a lot more sense for these customers but everybody wants the truck to be "theirs" the same way that back in the day all phone cases where black now you can have anything you want on them.