In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

bharris515

2021 getting Wireless CarPlay...

19 hours ago, dustysilverado said:

Like Eppieguy, I too have a 2019 Silverado 1500, but mine is the Trail Boss LT with the IOS/IOT infotainment system. With great anticipation, I received my CPLAY2air, and while I am having some issues getting the CPLAY2air to work, I am not quite ready to convict the product.

Now I do not generally buy into conspiracy theories, but I did discover something that I think worth passing on.

I decided to consult the 2019 owners manual to read up on the CarPlay feature, however I did not have access to the hard copy in my truck and decided to have a look at the current online version (23400204 D Fourth Printing) at MyChevrolet.com. To my surprise there were "0" hits on keyword "CarPlay" anywhere in the current online version of the owners manual. I thought I had seen it in the owners manual, so I went back to the hard copy in my glove box, as well as a soft copy I downloaded from MyChevrolet last year (both version 84161700 A First Printing), and guess what: there were "26" hits in there.

Does your truck’s carplay feature work if you plug your phone directly in to the truck?

Yes, CarPlay by cable works in both the IP USB port in front of the console and the USB port inside the console storage bin. Note that last night I did finally get CPLAY2air working on my truck. I have started over with the install and documenting the specific steps. This thing is a lot more complex to get working (at least on GM products) than the nice glossy website would leave you to believe.

Stay tuned to this channel.

On 9/3/2020 at 11:53 AM, dustysilverado said:

Yes, CarPlay by cable works in both the IP USB port in front of the console and the USB port inside the console storage bin. Note that last night I did finally get CPLAY2air working on my truck. I have started over with the install and documenting the specific steps. This thing is a lot more complex to get working (at least on GM products) than the nice glossy website would leave you to believe.

Stay tuned to this channel.

How’d it go.  I have a 2019 High Country and couldn’t get mine to work at all.   Not even once and I’m a pretty techy guy. 

23 minutes ago, JAshworth03 said:

How’d it go.  I have a 2019 High Country and couldn’t get mine to work at all.   Not even once and I’m a pretty techy guy. 

I too am a techy guy (electrical engineer), and my professional opinion is that there is no way to make this work using the software combination that I am running on both the dongle and the GM headunit. So while I will keep the dongle and continue to monitor this channel for any updates that might change my experience, I have accepted that I made a bad investment and moved on.

My general thought giving it forward is that even if Carplay says your vehicle is supported (their website says that my 2019 Silverado is supported), do NOT assume that it is unless you don't mind throwing away $149. Buyer beware!

2 hours ago, dustysilverado said:

I too am a techy guy (electrical engineer), and my professional opinion is that there is no way to make this work using the software combination that I am running on both the dongle and the GM headunit. So while I will keep the dongle and continue to monitor this channel for any updates that might change my experience, I have accepted that I made a bad investment and moved on.

My general thought giving it forward is that even if Carplay says your vehicle is supported (their website says that my 2019 Silverado is supported), do NOT assume that it is unless you don't mind throwing away $149. Buyer beware!

Exact same thought here!

My suspicion is that Apple will eventually make an OEM dongle that will emulate the right way.  I'd absolutely love wireless carplay.

Funny enough iOS 14 actually fixed the wireless charging issues I was experiencing with my iPhone 11 Pro Max.  It would only work roughly 35% of the time on iOS 12 & 13 - as soon as I updated to iOS 14, it hasn't failed yet!  100% success.  Wireless charging actually working as intended really has me hankering for wireless carplay!

Interested to see when the 21’s come out what it’ll cost to swap head units to get wireless CarPlay. It’s a must. Huge miss on the 2020s!

40 minutes ago, JAshworth03 said:

Exact same thought here!

My suspicion is that Apple will eventually make an OEM dongle that will emulate the right way.  I'd absolutely love wireless carplay.

Funny enough iOS 14 actually fixed the wireless charging issues I was experiencing with my iPhone 11 Pro Max.  It would only work roughly 35% of the time on iOS 12 & 13 - as soon as I updated to iOS 14, it hasn't failed yet!  100% success.  Wireless charging actually working as intended really has me hankering for wireless carplay!

I agree with you that wireless CarPlay is a no-brainer on any modern car (and I cannot wait to get it too), but I would not hold my breadth on an Apple-sourced dongle.

Apple would rather receive a royalty from the automakers on every factory wireless CarPlay system sold in return for the development support they would provide that CPLAY2air developers would love to have but cannot afford. This approach allows Apple to make a bunch of money on their technology while completely avoiding the "Joe Q. Public" interop nightmare currently being felt by CPLAY2air. In retrospect, they really had no chance of being universally successful with all the different bluetooth/wifi handshake variants out there.

But to bharris515f's point, how would you like to have plunked down 90-large on a new 2020 C8 Corvette with "wired" CarPlay, only to find out that wireless was being introduced in the 2021 MY. Don't fret though, I'll bet the hardware in our trucks can support wireless CarPlay, and I would not be surprised if someone on the old intraweb eventually offered up a "flash update" for the 2019/2020 IOS/IOT radios to pick up the wireless functionality. I predict it will cost about $600... that always seems to be the magic number!

I couldn't get my CP2Air work until I disconnected my phone from the GM infotainment system. It still only auto starts about 90% of the time, but I can always get it going. One thing I noticed is that if I try to use Waze and listen to Apple Music both via Carplay, it can't handle it.  The Waze map pixelates and the music skips. Turn one or the other off and the other works fine. The way it seems to operate is that it initializes over bluetooth and hands over credentials to its built-in wireless network (between the phone and the dongle) for operation. My guess is that there's just not enough bandwidth there to support those concurrent apps.

Called the dealership to ask if I would have to swap head units or modules to get wireless in my 2020. They made a call and called me back to say it wasn’t possible. I call BS. Same exact truck as the 2021. There has to be a way to do this....

Yeah I don’t believe that for a second. I took the entire on star module with Bluetooth from a 2010 truck and put it in my 08 without issue. I don’t see why we can’t take a 21 module and use in our 20’s. Right now I use Carplay2air in my 20 and it has been flawless. 

They are starting to encrypt the ecm and many of the modules that connect to them in the interest of cybersecurity making it nearly impossible to swap around parts. Over the air updates to the ecm can now be performed on the newer vehicles (requiring fewer trips to the dealership in theory) but also opening the possibility of your vehicle being hacked by outsiders. This also makes it much harder to delete or add performance enhancements. https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/c8-corvette-gm-evaluating-next-steps-regarding-ecu-encryption/

On 11/28/2020 at 12:26 PM, Pipelayer said:

They are starting to encrypt the ecm and many of the modules that connect to them in the interest of cybersecurity making it nearly impossible to swap around parts. Over the air updates to the ecm can now be performed on the newer vehicles (requiring fewer trips to the dealership in theory) but also opening the possibility of your vehicle being hacked by outsiders. This also makes it much harder to delete or add performance enhancements. https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/c8-corvette-gm-evaluating-next-steps-regarding-ecu-encryption/

This.  My 2020 had an issue with the computer and cameras from the day I drove it off the lot.  Dealer planned to swap it out with one from another truck on the lot due to covid and GM being shut down.  No go.  They are tied to the Vin.  Took almost 3 months to get the new part in.  Ironically, when they put my truck back together the first time the issue cleared and never came back.  Still replaced the unit though.

So just picked up my 2021 LTZ and this feature is not ready for prime time with Apple Car Play - the music cuts out like a CD skipping the entire time. Hopefully an update will fix this soon.

I just brought home a 2021 2500HD LT trim with the All Star and Z71 packages but apparently not the convenience group that is required to get wireless AA and Carplay ?

I had a 2020 2500HD Denali w/o wireless Carplay and now have a 2021 with it.  I love it and have had zero issues.  This should have been on the 20's when they launched the redesigned trucks.