Towing large enclosed trailer

Hi I am new to the group. I have a 17 suburban with the max tow package tha gives me a 3.42 rear end ratio. I am pulling an 8.5 wide enclosed trailer and having a hard time getting the truck to to nice speed and rpm wise. Has anyone changed out the ring and pinion gears to a better towing set.? If so what ratio and whose brand? Thanks 

Hi I am new to the group. I have a 17 suburban with the max tow package tha gives me a 3.42 rear end ratio. I am pulling an 8.5 wide enclosed trailer and having a hard time getting the truck to to nice speed and rpm wise. Has anyone changed out the ring and pinion gears to a better towing set.? If so what ratio and whose brand? Thanks 

Check and make sure that you are not towing more than ratings

With a 10 speed tranny, (which I’m assuming you have) you don’t need to change the rear axle.  Put it in manual and select the gear that keeps the engine in the ‘sweet spot’.  We have the 8 speed in our ‘15 ESV and we pull a 7000 lb, 32’ Airstream.  I keep it in 6, and at 65 mph, it’s about 2200 rpm which is right in the torque curve and steady transmission temps at 175. It doesn’t shift much at all while cruising which is what generates excess heat for automatic transmissions.  MPG between 11-13.

Whats your opinion of a nice speed.   Note, in many states you are limited to 55 mph towing a trailer.  IMO any speed faster is just a accident waiting to happen but I see it all the time.   Last winter I was on I-43 going S from Green Bay doing the speed limit 65 and someone with a 1500 towing a large enclosed trailer likely carrying 4 snowmobiles passed me by.  Big hurry to go no where, 20 miles down the road they are in the rest area taking a break.

Thanks, I would like to tow at 65 and I remember that IL had the tow at 55 but rarely ever saw one doing that. I was planning to head west and I hear the speeds are much higher there.  If I could get the RPM's around 2500 @ 65 I would be happy 

Oh and the 17 Suburban has the 6 speed Trans. 4th I'm just about 3 grand or higher and if I drop to 5th it drops the r's way down but it won't maintain speed then it shifts back .  Also I have the 5.3L engine. Wish they brought back the 2500 with some serious power and towing capacity. 

Edited by Robert J.

12 minutes ago, Robert J. said:

Oh and the 17 Suburban has the 6 speed Trans. 4th I'm just about 3 grand or higher and if I drop to 5th it drops the r's way down but it won't maintain speed then it shifts back .  Also I have the 5.3L engine. Wish they brought back the 2500 with some serious power and towing capacity. 

Get the new Suburban with the diesel that is coming out late next year possibly sooner from what I can tell.  The longer the better to give you more time to save for it. :)

1 hour ago, Robert J. said:

Wish they brought back the 2500 with some serious power and towing capacity. 

They make a 3500 Suburban with the 6.0L, but you can't buy a new one. GM will only sell them to fleet and/or Governmental customers. You can find some low-mile used ones if you look hard enough. 

28 minutes ago, jlong1984 said:

They make a 3500 Suburban with the 6.0L, but you can't buy a new one. GM will only sell them to fleet and/or Governmental customers. You can find some low-mile used ones if you look hard enough. 

They are also useless.  Great for payload as they have a 4405lbs payload, but they are 100% legit rated for only 3000lbs towing.  

2 hours ago, newdude said:

They are also useless.  Great for payload as they have a 4405lbs payload, but they are 100% legit rated for only 3000lbs towing.  

Wait, so they're rated for LESS towing than the half-ton? That seems counterintuitive. I can see why they haven't sold many. 

15 hours ago, newdude said:

Most are not used for towing. We had them at the DOT and were used for GPS survey vehicles and carried a lot of equipment and rarely towed anything.  Mine I never even used the back seat. That's were I stowed the GPS receivers and the rear cargo area survey gear such as tripods, tools, batteries, generator etc.  They were special fleet HD K3500's (badged as a 2500) and the lead time was 1 yr from order to delivery and every one had to be justified as to its intended purpose for GM to claim the exemption from CAFE requirements.  

kinematic.gif

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 12:11 PM, Robert J. said:

Robert, sorry I made some bad assumptions about your 17 premium.  3000rpm at 65 is a little high for sustained cruise like you said.  It’s a shame the 5.3, 6 speed combo doesn’t work better together for towing.  Our 05 Yukon Xl with the 5.3 only had the 4 speed and in 3rd at 65mph it was spinning at 2500rpm, pulled the Airstream well in the flat, Only needed 2nd to maintain speed up some hills.  I highly recommend the 6.2l ecotec with the 10 speed.  Buckets of torque starting at 2000rpm and plenty of gear choices for towing.   Better fuel economy than our old 5.3 if you can believe that!