Chevrolet Performance Intake & Exhaust Installed w/video

11 hours ago, Transient said:

The only answer I can give on that is speculation rooted in fact. The ECU hasn't been cracked by any tuners. It's not that aFe didn't provide a tune, but that they can't. As far as I'm aware, the only way to get an aftermarket tune is via HPTuners and swapping ECUs. GM locked the ECUs down, and the code hasn't been broken yet. I don't know the cost for what HPTuners is doing, but heard it's north of $1,000. Would you buy a CAI that's $1,300+ with the minimal gains you get? Most wouldn't. Only GM has the keys to reprogramming, and so they do it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Agreed.  I’m aware that you can’t reprogram these new trucks and that GM holds the key.  But my original question was why does the GM CAI require reprogramming and the aFe unit does not?

• Like 1

Agreed.  I’m aware that you can’t reprogram these new trucks and that GM holds the key.  But my original question was why does the GM CAI require reprogramming and the aFe unit does not?

Only the only people that know are GM engineers. Every other answer is speculation. I've started this in both my replies so far. What is like to see is actual dyno numbers for a stock truck and then trucks with the various intakes. Let's see if the purported claims are realistic.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2021 at 12:57 PM, Denali21 said:

I would be willing to bet GM requires a reprogram either for warranty reasons [dollars], or regulatory reasons [emmissions - which is also dollars if they get sued].   Why would GM provide the reflash for free unless it is averting a potentially higher cost for them in the future?

In the words of Henry Peterson "...Follow the money..." .

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2021 at 8:42 AM, pierre sucre said:

I would be willing to bet GM requires a reprogram either for warranty reasons [dollars], or regulatory reasons [emmissions - which is also dollars if they get sued].   Why would GM provide the reflash for free unless it is averting a potentially higher cost for them in the future?

In the words of Henry Peterson "...Follow the money..." .

None of this makes sense.  First, the GM tune isn't free.  The cost for the CAI is about double what everybody else is charging.  The tune is included in the cost because the cost of the tune is part of the package.  If you "follow the money" you'll see the aftermarket CAIs are $300-$350.  Now add in the cost of a tune.  I've seen some tuners charge up to $250.  With the GM CAI the dealership isn't charging you for the tune because GM already did.  Whether you pay $350 + $250, or $600 + $0, you're still paying $600.  And, since engine production is self measured via guidelines from the SAE, when GM says their engine makes X power stock and X power with the CAI, you know the measurements are comparable since they were on the same machine, in the same building, with the same testing requirements.  It doesn't get to be more accurate than that. 

Edited by Transient
  • Like 2

On 3/24/2021 at 12:57 PM, Denali21 said:

The GM CAI doesn't "require" calibration, but to optimize the CAI it includes a calibration for the MAF sensor. My guess is the aFe intake is the same. No different then any intake on other trucks. They all benefit from a tune. 

49 minutes ago, Daly said:

The GM CAI doesn't "require" calibration, but to optimize the CAI it includes a calibration for the MAF sensor. My guess is the aFe intake is the same. No different then any intake on other trucks. They all benefit from a tune. 

It does on 2021 models.............

May 17, 2021

The Chevrolet Performance, GMC and Cadillac Cold Air Intake System (RPO 5W7, RVK) available on 2021 Camaro, Silverado, Tahoe, Suburban, Sierra, Yukon and Escalade models equipped with the 5.3L V8 engine (RPO L84), 6.2L V8 engine (RPO L87) or 6.2L V8 engine (RPO LT1) should only be installed on vehicles that were ordered with the RPO/LPO (dealer installed) option. (Fig. 17) The Cold Air Intake System requires a calibration from the Techline Customer Support Center (TCSC), which is not available for vehicles without the proper RPO/LPO 5W7 or RVK option.

The Cold Air Intake System is a Limited Production Option (LPO) that can be ordered with the vehicle at the time of purchase. It is not to be installed or sold as an Accessory Catalog Offering (ACO), or over-the-counter accessory, as the calibration is not available for ACO applications. If installed on an incorrect vehicle, the Check Engine MIL may illuminate and DTCs P0172 (Fuel Trim System Rich) and P0175 (Fuel Trim System Rich Bank 2) may set.

Edited by elcamino

2 hours ago, elcamino said:

It does on 2021 models.............

May 17, 2021

The Chevrolet Performance, GMC and Cadillac Cold Air Intake System (RPO 5W7, RVK) available on 2021 Camaro, Silverado, Tahoe, Suburban, Sierra, Yukon and Escalade models equipped with the 5.3L V8 engine (RPO L84), 6.2L V8 engine (RPO L87) or 6.2L V8 engine (RPO LT1) should only be installed on vehicles that were ordered with the RPO/LPO (dealer installed) option. (Fig. 17) The Cold Air Intake System requires a calibration from the Techline Customer Support Center (TCSC), which is not available for vehicles without the proper RPO/LPO 5W7 or RVK option.

The Cold Air Intake System is a Limited Production Option (LPO) that can be ordered with the vehicle at the time of purchase. It is not to be installed or sold as an Accessory Catalog Offering (ACO), or over-the-counter accessory, as the calibration is not available for ACO applications. If installed on an incorrect vehicle, the Check Engine MIL may illuminate and DTCs P0172 (Fuel Trim System Rich) and P0175 (Fuel Trim System Rich Bank 2) may set.

Wow!  Glad I bought a 2020 and got this done already.  Sucks that it's no longer an ACO.  I feel very fortunate and lucky. 

• 4 weeks later...

The maf housing is larger, therefore the maf sensor will read different than stock. It actually really pisses me off that gm advertises this as a performance air intake; because its not. It makes an extra whole bhp at peak. The larger maf tube does nothing, it does not flow more air in this application. The restriction is the tb and the engine can't pull any more air then it is when wot. 

Aftermarket air intakes make power by shifting the power band. Your losing acceleration, drive ability etc. in the low range and moving it up top. Which is fine if thats what you want; I did. Then I put the stock intake back on and I'll never be going back to an aftermarket one. I dont even need wot throttle anymore; there's now a lot more power under the curve where its actually needed.

A catback exhaust will free up some power, a tune will free up power. After that its boost or engine work. 

Edited by M1ck3y
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 6:38 PM, OnTheReel said:

I dropped 2 tenths to 60 with the Roto-Fab so I would say their claims add up. 

The GM intake is more conservatively designed it seems. The ribbed intake tube and the dry filter eat up some of the gains that otherwise would be had.

Did you throw any check engine codes or need a reflash with the rotofab CAI? Rotofab says it won't throw a code. I just got one for a 2021 gmc 1500 at4 6.2 litre because they discontinued the factory gm cold air intake for 2021 trucks because of throwing codes the GM parts guy told me.

Thank you

Edited by Liquid Plumber AT4
Description

1 hour ago, Liquid Plumber AT4 said:

Did you throw any check engine codes or need a reflash with the rotofab CAI? Rotofab says it won't throw a code. I just got one for a 2021 gmc 1500 at4 6.2 litre because they discontinued the factory gm cold air intake for 2021 trucks because of throwing codes the GM parts guy told me.

Thank you

Nope, never any codes or errors with the Roto-Fab. Have had it on since October 2019.

• 1 month later...

Anyone running the RotoFab CAI on a 2021 with a 6.2L? Any fitment issues? Codes? They claim it makes the truck "sound" different?? Just looking for real feedback.

18 minutes ago, 21guns said:

Anyone running the RotoFab CAI on a 2021 with a 6.2L? Any fitment issues? Codes? They claim it makes the truck "sound" different?? Just looking for real feedback.

Installed mine a month ago. 2021 gmc 1500 AT4. Fit is perfect and clean. No codes as of today. Clamps and parts are solid. It does give better sound.  I have the gmc performance exhaust and it made it gave it a better tone.  Definetly can tell its pulling more air. I researched a lot of CAIs and glad I went with rotofab.  Just remeber to disconnect negative battery terminal during the install....its all in the step by step instructions.