Scrubbing/Rubbing Noise from rearend when first moving after sitting a day or so

I have had my 2019 Silverado for a few months now.  I bought it new at the end of last year.

I have taken it to a local dealership and they don't hear anything and blame it on a "slushy" sound from differential and said it was normal.  I just shook my head.

Every time the truck has sat for about 24 hours or so and get in and drive off, a rubbing sound is heard from the rear-end.  I have had my wife drive slow and walk next to it several times an tried to isolate he noise.

Problem is that after driving it for a few miles the noise goes away.

I saw a post about the leaf springs.  I have not looked yet, but curious if other have had a similar thing happen and if so, what did you do to fix it?

Can't help you but mine does the same thing most mornings after sitting 12 hrs.  Seems like it is the rear brakes dragging?  Plus it clunks over any bumps or uneven surfaces.  Planning a dealer trip soon.

Thanks all!

I initially thought it was the front too...

It irritated me so much, and I really, really, REALLY, hate going to the dealership for anything, I bought some new pads for the rear, couldn't find any for the front...

I replaced the rear pads...  I was hopeful that it would go away, but it did not.

One thing I will ask though, with the brakes, unlike the older calipers of yester-year it seemed as though you need to do something more than just compress the piston.  I was able to get the piston down to a reasonable level and get the new shoes in, but curious, because it did not seem like I would be able to if the shoes were so new to begin with.

I will continue on the hunt for the mystery sound.  If anyone else has some experiences please let me know. 

Once I figure it out, definitely going to let everyone else know!

1 minute ago, HiyoSilverardo_Away said:

Thanks all!

I initially thought it was the front too...

It irritated me so much, and I really, really, REALLY, hate going to the dealership for anything, I bought some new pads for the rear, couldn't find any for the front...

I replaced the rear pads...  I was hopeful that it would go away, but it did not.

One thing I will ask though, with the brakes, unlike the older calipers of yester-year it seemed as though you need to do something more than just compress the piston.  I was able to get the piston down to a reasonable level and get the new shoes in, but curious, because it did not seem like I would be able to if the shoes were so new to begin with.

I will continue on the hunt for the mystery sound.  If anyone else has some experiences please let me know. 

Once I figure it out, definitely going to let everyone else know!

Im having my readylift kit and newer tires installed today. Gonna drive it for a little bit then ill be checking in with the dealer. The noise did it again this morning. The worst part is that its gonna be hard to diagnose since truck has to be cold or brakes im assuming. I almost wonder if my rotors some how got warped and are causing the noise ?‍♂️

11 minutes ago, Dersch said:

Im having my readylift kit and newer tires installed today. Gonna drive it for a little bit then ill be checking in with the dealer. The noise did it again this morning. The worst part is that its gonna be hard to diagnose since truck has to be cold or brakes im assuming. I almost wonder if my rotors some how got warped and are causing the noise ?‍♂️

If it is the rotors for me, shoot.... 

Brand new truck with only about 5k miles on it.... 

Will keep looking and report back.

Please do the same.

Just now, HiyoSilverardo_Away said:

If it is the rotors for me, shoot.... 

Brand new truck with only about 5k miles on it.... 

Will keep looking and report back.

Please do the same.

Im at 4k myself and its my only explanation. Although id suspect to hear some scraping/ hanging up with normal driving but idk. I visually inspected everything with the tire off the other day and the pads looked good. 

The only other thing i can think of and if its true imma lose my mind is that its the front Diff. My 2015 had the bearings go out at 50k. 

I used my 4x4 at the dunes a month ago and had a vibrating and some rubbing/ scraping (not metal on metal grinding) when i was in 4x4. So its possible. I also had an issue once when a car pulled out in front of me i locked the brakes up and the truck freaked out. The truck braked, disengaged the brakes (with foot on pedal still), reengaged brakes and the traction control light came on. Truck never skidded or broke loose. It was weird af. Light immediately went off too. No ABS light. So idk what to think of that

After more thought and listening I think the rubbing & groaning noise may be the leaf springs, I think it's the axle twist acting on the springs, which are a known source or rear end noise on these trucks.  I still have no idea on the slow speed clunk or knock sound on uneven ground.

Following as I think I have the same issue. Mine normally happens the loudest when I first pull out of the driveway and the rear drops the couple inches onto the street. Don't hear it again the rest of the day. I pulled the rear brakes apart a few thousand miles ago and greased the contact points. No change. Pretty sure its the lead springs. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I think I have finally narrowed it down, but have not been able to figure out the best course of action to resolve the issue.

I let the truck sit for a day and night and then jacked it up just enough off the ground.

In the video (hope it  attaches correctly) you can hear the noise.  Now it does go away after a few hundred feet of driving, but it sounds pretty bad.

So here is what I ended up doing to narrow it down.

I removed the caliper, compressed it, inspected the pads, they are virtually brand new, less than 1,000 miles.  I put it all back together and no noise.  I drove it around with minimum stopping.  Parked it for a day and a night, no noise.  Then I engaged the parking brake on a hunch.  Disengaged it, drove it around the driveway a little and then wham, there was the noise!

With the new emergency brakes/parking brakes, they use an attached motor of some sort to engage the caliper of the actual brake shows, not a separate set of brake shoes or calipers.

I suspect that the motor or something needs to be adjusted some how to back-off maybe a small amount, but not sure. 

If you listen to the truck when you first unlock the doors you can hear what I think are the motors disengaging or at least spinning.

This is pretty annoying!

I had, had a trip planned to the dealership, but the nasty little bug Covid struck some folks and had to cancel the appointment. 

Anyone here though know anything about this new parking brake setup and maybe how to adjust it?  Avoiding the dealership is always on my list of things to do, avoid at all costs if at all possible.

Edited by HiyoSilverardo_Away

My T1 is 2 months short of 2 years old with 16k. I’ve been dealing with this noise since it was only 5 months old. Just as everyone’s describing. I back out of my driveway 1st thing in the morning and there goes that rubbing noise. Sounds like I’ve got seal under truck for a few feet then goes away. 

Ive brought it to the dealer a few times and they say everything’s normal and can’t duplicate the sound. I did my own inspection and narrowed it down to the left rear wheel. I pulled off the wheel 1st thing in the morning cold and haven’t moved it. Put the truck in neutral and turned the rotor. Found the noise!! I marked a section of the rotor and everytime it comes up to the brake pad it makes the noise. 

I read somewhere on the forum multiple people has this same issue. They replaced pads, rotors and calipers. All done by the dealership and still makes noise. 

Maybe you guys are right and has something to do with the electronic parking brake. I’m not going to set my parking brake tonight and see if it does It in the morning. 

I think I might be having the same problem on my truck. It usually happens first thing in the morning but I have had it happen pulling off the highway when the brakes are not cold. I'm under 1000 miles. And it's very frustrating. Here is a video of mine from inside the truck.  Is this what yours is like inside the cab? I had mine at dealer for 2 days and they only reprogramed the brake module. Didn't help

Edited by Robert Schuette