Scrubbing/Rubbing Noise from rearend when first moving after sitting a day or so

I found that if I pump my brakes 4 or 5 times before driving first thing in the morning in cold weather, the rubbing noise doesn't happen.  Also, the weather has started to warm up where I live and I haven't had the rubbing noise for the last couple of weeks at all without pumping the brakes.  The service dept at my dealership gave me a print out of a technical bulletin about debris in the leaf springs. I do not think this is the issue, it's something going on with the passenger side rear brake in cold weather, at least with my truck.

• 2 weeks later...

For those following this, I have completely replaced the passenger side caliper with a brand new one... the rubbing is not there at the moment, but I still have noises on an initial movement forward, however it is now mainly when I ride over a bump or drive off a ledge and the rearend bounces a little...

Could it be the leaf springs or possibly the shocks now?

I am starting to wonder now if it has been a couple of different things I have been chasing..

The Parking Brake, I learned a lot about that thing for sure.  The motor actuator is "neat" but like the other older method better...

I will follow-up more as I continue the noise in the rearend at startup and after the first roll

• 1 month later...

Well for those following this and curious, after a lot of frustrating, think you have have but you don't moments, I think I may have found the issue.

So it was related to the brakes as suspected.  It was related to the caliper.

The rear parking brakes (electric) best I can tell do some sort of self-test/check (maybe) every time, the first time you unlock the truck.  The pads press against the rotor and then disengage. 

I don't drive it much and even less last year with everyone staying home.

Most when seeing the video I posted earlier last year would say the same I was thinking, but did not really want to believe, the rotor is warped.  I have helped friends with many a car that had warped front-end rotors where you press the brake when stopping and the front-end starts bouncing around.  This one though never really expected this on a truck with less than 6k miles on it. 

I will say though I have noticed a huge difference after removing and replacing.  I am going on over a week now and no noise and no issues.  It looks like I just had a bad rotor on the passenger side.  What a pain in the neck.

Of course dealerships and the like give you the ole song and dance, welp brakes, those are your problem sir....

Will keep everyone updated as the week and weeks grind on...

All my vehicles new and old make rubbing sounds after sitting a few days. It the brakes. Probably due to our extreme humidity. A couple brake applies it goes away.

5 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

All my vehicles new and old make rubbing sounds after sitting a few days. It the brakes. Probably due to our extreme humidity. A couple brake applies it goes away.

Agreed...

This however and unfortunately was not that...  Sitting outside for long periods of time I have even seen some cars have a lite coating of rust... could be the salt in the air or something else....  What I have had unfortunately was a little different..  The video I posted earlier kind of gives you an idea of one of the symptoms...

When I first started the journey, I had really hoped it was just go away, but it just got worse and worse, happening even after the first 100-1000 ft of rolling down the drive way... 

Edited by HiyoSilverardo_Away

11 minutes ago, HiyoSilverardo_Away said:

Agreed...

This however and unfortunately was not that...  Sitting outside for long periods of time I have even seen some cars have a lite coating of rust... could be the salt in the air or something else....  What I have had unfortunately was a little different..  The video I posted earlier kind of gives you an idea of one of the symptoms...

When I first started the journey, I had really hoped it was just go away, but it just got worse and worse, happening even after the first 100-1000 ft of rolling down the drive way... 

on one of my older trucks I had to replace the rubber brake lines. They look good on the outside bad on the inside. Of course that was after replacing the rotors, calipers, brake master cylinder.

I just got back from a trip to the smokey mountains. it was easier to back my truck the driveway than do a 80 point turn. Heard a rubbing/grinding noise coming from rear end while backing the truck up. It also sounded like the u-joints where going out really bad. Took it to the dealership yesterday morning, couldn't  get the noise to happen. I had my wife record the noise and had it on video while we were there. Went back up to the dealership this morning and showed them the video. Come to find out they are having problems with the slip yoke and leaf spring. Greased up everything and told to keep a eye one it. If it comes back with probably have to replace the slip yoke. I'll add the video it probably won't be good quality cause it compressed. 

7 minutes ago, Sckidd91 said:

I just got back from a trip to the smokey mountains. it was easier to back my truck the driveway than do a 80 point turn. Heard a rubbing/grinding noise coming from rear end while backing the truck up. It also sounded like the u-joints where going out really bad. Took it to the dealership yesterday morning, couldn't  get the noise to happen. I had my wife record the noise and had it on video while we were there. Went back up to the dealership this morning and showed them the video. Come to find out they are having problems with the slip yoke and leaf spring. Greased up everything and told to keep a eye one it. If it comes back with probably have to replace the slip yoke. I'll add the video it probably won't be good quality cause it compressed.

Wow!  I know some have reported the leaf springs as a problem...  In a new truck I would never have thought the drive shaft, rear end, or anything related to those...

I have been letting my truck sit for a day or so now... will be pulling it out of garage most likely tomorrow or Thursday...  Hoping that it is still all clear!  Will have to wait and see...

@Sckidd91 , did the dealership say give you any indication of how wide spread the issue is and if they are finding other issues?  I have been chasing this for over a year now....

4 minutes ago, HiyoSilverardo_Away said:

Wow!  I know some have reported the leaf springs as a problem...  In a new truck I would never have thought the drive shaft, rear end, or anything related to those...

I have been letting my truck sit for a day or so now... will be pulling it out of garage most likely tomorrow or Thursday...  Hoping that it is still all clear!  Will have to wait and see...

@Sckidd91 , did the dealership say give you any indication of how wide spread the issue is and if they are finding other issues?  I have been chasing this for over a year now....

no they didn't, the service guy did do a little chuckle when he was talking about it so I'd guess it pretty well know. so that two major problems my truck has in my eyes. my radio also goes full volume randomly going down the road. no fix for that issue either and it's done it since the first day I got it. They also know about that

I have a 2020 Silverado RST z71 and am having a different noise pop up. It happens after I've been driving for a little while, 15 minutes or so, and it sounds like a higher pitched metal on metal grinding noise. No noise at all when I start driving, but it seems like once heat builds up, it starts to grind. I don't think it's a bearing, I've heard that noise before and it's not really the same. It doesn't vibrate the steering wheel or brake/gas pedals, I'm pretty sure it's on the front end and not the rear wheels, and it definitely 'grinds' every time the wheels make a rotation, and it seems to go away when I make turns. I don't have 10k miles on the truck yet, got it in July. Had the tires rotated/oil changed in early March. 

• 2 weeks later...

just a update. let the truck sit a week. my wife and I work for the same company so we just drive her 2014 rav4 5 days a week since we are in the same building. Got home Thursday evening and was gonna go to the store and hopped in my trailboss. As soon as I put it in drive and started rolling heard popping clicking noise from rear end. Took it to the dealership that night and dropped it off. They looked at it and have ordered me new leaf springs and shackles but they are on national backorder. So no telling when they will be in. I asked the service writer on a percentage basis how much did the mechanic think it will fix the issue and if has something to do with the slip yoke like he said it could be. The mechanic is 95% sure this will fix my issue and they don't believeit's the slip yoke. So we'll see if it fixes it. Kinda shitty that a truck that only 26000 miles on it has to have new leaf springs and shackles. Gonna be pissed if I still hear the noise and it turns out to be the slip yoke. My wife has horses and she shows them sometimes and don't want my truck to break while hauling them around. Told them if that happens somebody is getting a ear full and they are replacing everything that ****s up if the slip yoke fails.

• 1 month later...

My 2019 Sierra SLT X31 does the same thing. Especially in cold weather. Back out of the shelter, or pull out, depending on how I parked. Rubbing, popping, slow acceleration. Sounds horrible. Had it in for service a few weeks ago. Talked to the service rep. His answer "all the trucks do this, it's normal". Typical answer. Also, the "electric motor sound" when unlocking the doors in the morning. Haven't figured that out. I very rarely set the parking brake. I don't set it at all when parking at the end of the day. 

So apparently part of my problem was the exhaust. Had a shop run my flowmaster cat back exhaust and either bent one if the pipes or the kit itself had a bent pipe. It sometimes will somehow rub against the heat shield at the spare tire, so gotta fix that yet. They did finally replace the leaf springs. That has seem to fix the majority of my issue. Like i said still gotta fix the exhaust but new leaf springs did help. Now its no telling how long they will last.

I’ve got 15k on my 2020 RST and it also has got a very annoying metallic squeak coming from the front while driving in 2wd - the pitch of the squeak  increases with speed. When I select 4 auto or 4H the squeak disappears- going back to 2wd, the sound reappears after a while - the dealership were unable to locate it.

• 3 months later...