Scrubbing/Rubbing Noise from rearend when first moving after sitting a day or so

On 10/20/2020 at 7:42 AM, HiyoSilverardo_Away said:

Well I think I have finally narrowed it down, but have not been able to figure out the best course of action to resolve the issue.

I let the truck sit for a day and night and then jacked it up just enough off the ground.

In the video (hope it  attaches correctly) you can hear the noise.  Now it does go away after a few hundred feet of driving, but it sounds pretty bad.

So here is what I ended up doing to narrow it down.

I removed the caliper, compressed it, inspected the pads, they are virtually brand new, less than 1,000 miles.  I put it all back together and no noise.  I drove it around with minimum stopping.  Parked it for a day and a night, no noise.  Then I engaged the parking brake on a hunch.  Disengaged it, drove it around the driveway a little and then wham, there was the noise!

With the new emergency brakes/parking brakes, they use an attached motor of some sort to engage the caliper of the actual brake shows, not a separate set of brake shoes or calipers.

I suspect that the motor or something needs to be adjusted some how to back-off maybe a small amount, but not sure. 

If you listen to the truck when you first unlock the doors you can hear what I think are the motors disengaging or at least spinning.

This is pretty annoying!

I had, had a trip planned to the dealership, but the nasty little bug Covid struck some folks and had to cancel the appointment. 

Anyone here though know anything about this new parking brake setup and maybe how to adjust it?  Avoiding the dealership is always on my list of things to do, avoid at all costs if at all possible.

Did dealer find anything solution for this or have you?

Duramax dude  and Mobud

Unfortunately I have not taken it to the dealership yet.  The week I had scheduled we were placed under quarantine.  Not was sick but...  about a month later we were hit with the big nasty...

In the meantime I have not been able to schedule some time yet...  Hoping in the net week or two.  

What I have done which worked just once was remove the wheel and caliper, compress the piston and then reinstall.  Of course no scrubbing.  I drove it and no problems.  Brakes worked great.  I parked it, left running for a little while jumped in and no problems.

I then parked it over night and locked it.  Got up the next morning and unlocked it.  As soon as you do you here the motors for the brakes spinning.  Get in and the problem is back.

Next time before I rolled out of the drive, I resorted initially to something I know everyone here will say is not good, I used some I squirted some WD-40 on both sides of the rotor near the pads.  The problem was gone.  I did this every other day.  The days I did not, problem, the days I did, not problems.

I have two thoughts, that little motor that is used for the emergency brake, if there is a way to adjust it I will.  The other thought, disconnect the wire going to it or look at adding a resistor, or something.  Disconnecting it though will throw the "go take the truck to the stealership and have them fix your brakes" light...  Of course I bet it resets if you plug in back in so may not be an issue.

I have some time over the next few days so going to try a few things.

The last resort will be to just buy a new caliper assembly and install it.  Thinking maybe the original is bad?

Really am irritated by it for sure.  I am concerned also about undue pad wear as well as possible damage to the rotor.

Has anyone else found anything out?

4 hours ago, HiyoSilverardo_Away said:

Duramax dude  and Mobud

Unfortunately I have not taken it to the dealership yet.  The week I had scheduled we were placed under quarantine.  Not was sick but...  about a month later we were hit with the big nasty...

In the meantime I have not been able to schedule some time yet...  Hoping in the net week or two.  

What I have done which worked just once was remove the wheel and caliper, compress the piston and then reinstall.  Of course no scrubbing.  I drove it and no problems.  Brakes worked great.  I parked it, left running for a little while jumped in and no problems.

I then parked it over night and locked it.  Got up the next morning and unlocked it.  As soon as you do you here the motors for the brakes spinning.  Get in and the problem is back.

Next time before I rolled out of the drive, I resorted initially to something I know everyone here will say is not good, I used some I squirted some WD-40 on both sides of the rotor near the pads.  The problem was gone.  I did this every other day.  The days I did not, problem, the days I did, not problems.

I have two thoughts, that little motor that is used for the emergency brake, if there is a way to adjust it I will.  The other thought, disconnect the wire going to it or look at adding a resistor, or something.  Disconnecting it though will throw the "go take the truck to the stealership and have them fix your brakes" light...  Of course I bet it resets if you plug in back in so may not be an issue.

I have some time over the next few days so going to try a few things.

The last resort will be to just buy a new caliper assembly and install it.  Thinking maybe the original is bad?

Really am irritated by it for sure.  I am concerned also about undue pad wear as well as possible damage to the rotor.

Has anyone else found anything out?

Well let me know if you figure something out. Thanks 

• 1 month later...
On 10/20/2020 at 8:42 AM, HiyoSilverardo_Away said:

Well I think I have finally narrowed it down, but have not been able to figure out the best course of action to resolve the issue.

I let the truck sit for a day and night and then jacked it up just enough off the ground.

In the video (hope it  attaches correctly) you can hear the noise.  Now it does go away after a few hundred feet of driving, but it sounds pretty bad.

So here is what I ended up doing to narrow it down.

I removed the caliper, compressed it, inspected the pads, they are virtually brand new, less than 1,000 miles.  I put it all back together and no noise.  I drove it around with minimum stopping.  Parked it for a day and a night, no noise.  Then I engaged the parking brake on a hunch.  Disengaged it, drove it around the driveway a little and then wham, there was the noise!

With the new emergency brakes/parking brakes, they use an attached motor of some sort to engage the caliper of the actual brake shows, not a separate set of brake shoes or calipers.

I suspect that the motor or something needs to be adjusted some how to back-off maybe a small amount, but not sure. 

If you listen to the truck when you first unlock the doors you can hear what I think are the motors disengaging or at least spinning.

This is pretty annoying!

I had, had a trip planned to the dealership, but the nasty little bug Covid struck some folks and had to cancel the appointment. 

Anyone here though know anything about this new parking brake setup and maybe how to adjust it?  Avoiding the dealership is always on my list of things to do, avoid at all costs if at all possible.

I agree with your idea that it is something to do with the electronic parking brake. My 2020 Silverado first made the exact same noise from the passenger side rear tire after setting the parking brake. Now it does it when it's driven for the first time after setting overnight or sometimes when driving forward after being in reverse.  If I drive it long enough to get the tires and brakes warm and then set and release the parking brake, it may not make the noise for a couple of days.  Have you found anything new out? Any info I could tell the service dept. would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mobud said:

Haven’t been able to fix the issue yet plan on trading it in quick, mine has steadily gotten worse with no help for my service department 

Sorry to hear that!

I have yet to fix mine either...  I really think it is related to the electric motor on the rotor, the electric motor that is used to engage the "parking-brake" action.  The reason I call it action is that the same pads are used for normal braking or the parking brake.  Unlike the older systems where there were two separate systems one for normal braking and the other for parking brake, they are using the same...  I really think it is related though to the motor and possibly something that needs to be adjusted somehow with the braking system...

1 hour ago, bam2880 said:

Does it only do this when you mess with the parking brake?

Hi, What I have done so far...

I have taken the caliper completely off, compressed it, put it back together, rotated the tire by hand as in the video, no noise. 
Drive the truck around, applying brakes at stop signs etc.  and then parked it.  The next day when I come out and unlock the truck you hear in the rear, the motors from the parking brake "spin."  As soon as I hear that I know, I know that I will have the scrubbing return.

The scrubbing noise eventually goes away and I suspect that the pads and rotor just eventually seat, "warmup" etc....

I really believe it is related to the braking system.

I have not had a chance to redo what I just explained and disconnect the power to the motor and see if it happens again.  That will be the piece of the puzzle that I think will answer the question, once and for all.

It has been a huge disappointment in this truck for me.  I really like it and have enjoyed driving it except for the "rubbing/scrubbing" noise.

1 hour ago, HiyoSilverardo_Away said:

The next day when I come out and unlock the truck you hear in the rear, the motors from the parking brake "spin."

That noise you hear when you open your doors has nothing to do with the parking brake motor, it is the fuel pump priming.

2 hours ago, Booger T said:

That noise you hear when you open your doors has nothing to do with the parking brake motor, it is the fuel pump priming.

I will go out tonight and disconnect the leads from the caliper and motor attached and will confirm that...  With the cars and trucks I have owned, the priming of the fuel pump, it does not sound like it is coming from the opposite side of the truck.  This is on the passenger side...  but stranger things have happened...  and after disconnecting I will leave it like that after driving tonight and see what happens...

Edited by HiyoSilverardo_Away

9 hours ago, Booger T said:

Welp, confirmed, not the fuel pump.  I really wish it were that but it wasn't.

I disconnected the connector to the "parking brake" motor on the passenger side, unlocked the doors with the key fob (which at that point I would have heard the motors spin up before), this time no motors on either side spinning...

Drove it around a little tonight and parked it... Of course I have the "maintenance on the parking brake, idiot light" on while driving.  I will let the truck sit tonight and see how things go...

Fingers crossed this is it...