Tailgate sometimes takes 2-3 tries to open

2019 Silverado TrailBoss LT with power tailgate. Roughly half the time I go to open my tailgate it doesn't open on the first try. I'll push the button on the tailgate itself, the button on the dash, or the button on the remote, and it clicks like it's trying to open, but it doesn't move. Very annoying! Anyone else having this issue and/or know what the problem is?

Mine too! Sometimes takes 5 pushes to release the lock and I am pulling on the tailgate. One of these times I fear it won’t open at all.  I drove a new one a few weeks ago and it opened after one push of the button. 

my 2019 RST needed 2 very rarely 1.......thought 2 was just the standard

2020 2500 is 1 time  every time so far......

with more electronics and computers this is the future ( maybe has been for awhile)

god help those who buy these things outside 5 yrs and no warranty.......just too many things to go haywire

kept my last truck for 15 yrs but this one probably only 5 yrs max and onto a base model as my last truck....will be really old by than, lol...(no issues so far)

it does have a click in tailgate if i try to use key fob to raise tailgate like LTZ and HC have.....like feature is already there but just has a lock on it........try it yours and youll hear it

Edited by Dunn

Mine does this too. From the day i picked it up ive always had to double click the button for it to work (not sure if that's normal but one click doesnt drop it) but probably 75% of the time i have to do a 2nd double click to drop it. 

Ive not had an issue with the remote or button in cab dropping it though 

I've had this issue a bit too and like some of the others... have noticed it will happen with only a slight decline in wherever I am parked. My driveway is sloped upward toward the house and I prefer to back in, which makes it a royal pain in the ass, actually. @megatron51 does this happen to you also when you're parked uphill? If so, there could definitely be something else at play.

I haven't noticed it happening more often in any specific conditions. I'm bringing it into the dealer to have it looked at next week so I'll post about what they end up finding. The good news is they're covering it under the 36k warranty.

Edited by megatron51

I had the same issue when parked on a decline.  However, I noticed it getting worse to the point where sometimes it wouldn't open properly on level ground either.  While washing the truck one afternoon, I opened the tail gate and thoroughly cleaned the hinge roller at the bottom of the tail gate and I have had zero issues since.  It has worked flawlessly since, regardless of incline or decline.

If you get the chance and can remove the tailgate, do so and rinse off the roller hinge.  If you are not able to, then simply rinse the hinge roller down as best you can while on the truck and see if that helps.