HELP Bad News Sounds Coming From Engine (VIDEO)

Hi Guys--

I just got my truck back from a local mechanic to fix a broken exhaust manifold bolt (photo attached).

Tonight I start up my truck and hear THIS! Could he have put too much heat on the block and distorted a push rod guide or something? Doesn't it seem too coincidental that this nasty noise pops up RIGHT when he touches it?

Thanks much for your help!

Exhaust Bolt.jpg

Edited by beefey

Pull your dipstick and check the oil for glitter.

That sounds like a lower end engine knock for sure. If you rev it up and the knock gets faster/louder it's probably a rod bearing.

Lifters will make sound that is about half the speed of the crank because of the camshaft only working one lifter at a time. The noise in the video sounds like it goes along with the speed of the crank.

To me that says rod bearing all the way.

• Like 1

How this happens. Many of the head Exhaust manifold bolt holes are Blind ( sealed bottom). It is possible if the hole was drilled and re tapped

that a bolt is now in the water jacket. This can allow water in the oil in some locations.

Check the oil for any milky~ness. 

hammering pretty loud. sounds like it has a lot of rough miles on it...its too late to do anything about it now. 

1 hour ago, Formulabruce said:

How this happens. Many of the head Exhaust manifold bolt holes are Blind ( sealed bottom). It is possible if the hole was drilled and re tapped

that a bolt is now in the water jacket. This can allow water in the oil in some locations.

Check the oil for any milky~ness. 

That's a great insight. That could have happened. I don't see any obvious water contamination but it is probably pretty difficult without an oil analysis. The truck literally came back from the mechanic earlier today and has only had 25 miles on it since the service. Could coolant in the oil shell out a rod bearing that fast?

The coolant expansion tank is not black by any means...

It never made any noise really at all until this service was performed at the mechanic.

Oil Stick.jpg

Edited by beefey

Just a coincidence after repairs.

Rod knock IMO.

How many miles. 

And for us curios minds, oil changes were done at how many miles?

:)

• Thanks 1

I a mechanic and really want to think it is a coincidence that it happened right after the manifold bolt repair but, really only 55k miles on engine? It can be hard to be sure if it’s a rod and/or cam/lifter, try disconnecting each fuel injector one at a time if it’s a rod noise should change when unloaded. Are those correct manifold bolts?