Enjoying the new gasser?

2 hour drive bringing it home, with 100 miles on it got 15 mpg at 75. More broke in now and I can get 16  or 17 at the same speed without a lot of slowing and speeding or a lot of hills. 83ish (75 zone) and I still get a solid 15. 2 lane roads 60-65 mphI have seen 18 plus. In my 05 5.5 crew cab I could see close to 20 mpg on two lane roads, 18 at 70, but 14-15 at 80+.

Pulling my big boat, I got 12+ on very hilly,  two lane 55 zone.  5.3 probably only got 10-11 on the highway. Both 12-13 around town. So in the long run much more truck for minimal mileage difference (I also have a very short commute these days). More room and bigger bed. A lot heavier for the minor mileage difference. Love the mirrors a lot. It's a custom, so at least I don't seem to be having to worry about a rear slider leak. No leaking spoiler yet. Only electronic glitch is I had an outside temp display in the dash display which has disappeared. Wonder if it has anything to do with wifi or on star expiring.

12 hours ago, Stand By said:

2 hour drive bringing it home, with 100 miles on it got 15 mpg at 75. More broke in now and I can get 16  or 17 at the same speed without a lot of slowing and speeding or a lot of hills. 83ish (75 zone) and I still get a solid 15. 2 lane roads 60-65 mphI have seen 18 plus. In my 05 5.5 crew cab I could see close to 20 mpg on two lane roads, 18 at 70, but 14-15 at 80+.

Pulling my big boat, I got 12+ on very hilly,  two lane 55 zone.  5.3 probably only got 10-11 on the highway. Both 12-13 around town. So in the long run much more truck for minimal mileage difference (I also have a very short commute these days). More room and bigger bed. A lot heavier for the minor mileage difference. Love the mirrors a lot. It's a custom, so at least I don't seem to be having to worry about a rear slider leak. No leaking spoiler yet. Only electronic glitch is I had an outside temp display in the dash display which has disappeared. Wonder if it has anything to do with wifi or on star expiring.

Right on. Glad you’re enjoying your truck. I’d be happy with 18+ on the highway. 

I get 16 to 17 on hwy terrain and speed make it a slightly lower or higher. Mixed driving for me is approx 70 hwy 30 city and my d.i.c. shows 14 over the last 5k. Towing  12 k 5th wheel I get from a low of 8.5 for a tank to a high of 9.7 for a tank. Average in terrain pulled to date is 9.2 towing 

got as high as 21 mpg.....but 18mpg at 60mph and 15-17 @ 70mph....but DIC shows 8mpg in town empty with light foot which seems off.....also some days it will show 18mpg and next day 13mpg, same stretch of road at same speed....has anyone calculated it by hand to see if DIC is close, off or if every truck is different?

truck definetly likes highway more than city in pretty substantial way....

no leak from rear window or fin yet

On 8/19/2020 at 6:11 PM, Dunn said:

got as high as 21 mpg.....but 18mpg at 60mph and 15-17 @ 70mph....but DIC shows 8mpg in town empty with light foot which seems off.....also some days it will show 18mpg and next day 13mpg, same stretch of road at same speed....has anyone calculated it by hand to see if DIC is close, off or if every truck is different?

truck definetly likes highway more than city in pretty substantial way....

no leak from rear window or fin yet

I have hand calculated mine both towing and regular driving. I have been surprised that the computer has been within .3 to .5 each time. 

Towing a 35 foot 8500# bumper pull toy hauler i only average 7.5 at 65-70 range. Non towing around 16. I also only have around 1000 miles on it so I'm hoping things might improve over time.

The two times I bothered to top off correctly and keep track, I was also well within .5 mpg or so. I commuted about an hour and.a half with various vehicles when gas was in the $3-4+ range and knew from the beginning the thing was coming in close. The fuel guage is also displaying pretty accurately for me, considering a couple here posting bad experience in other threads. Maybe the custom dash has less potential of having failures, having simpler electronics?

Thanks for everyone’s comments. I’m getting about 14-15 city now with my Tundra and 17-ish highway going 70 mph or less. The new HD’s give me more space for kid crap (have a second one due soon) and plan to start towing a travel trailer to take the kids camping. The size/weight I’m looking I could probably make work with my Tundra but the payload jump and just overall capability of the 2500 with 6.6 I think will just make me feel a lot more comfortable towing. Now, just need to wait for these dealers to re-stock. I’m getting tired of looking at the same 14 trucks within 200 miles of my zip code. Ha ha. 

15 hours ago, Z71RAD88 said:

Thanks for everyone’s comments. I’m getting about 14-15 city now with my Tundra and 17-ish highway going 70 mph or less. The new HD’s give me more space for kid crap (have a second one due soon) and plan to start towing a travel trailer to take the kids camping. The size/weight I’m looking I could probably make work with my Tundra but the payload jump and just overall capability of the 2500 with 6.6 I think will just make me feel a lot more comfortable towing. Now, just need to wait for these dealers to re-stock. I’m getting tired of looking at the same 14 trucks within 200 miles of my zip code. Ha ha. 

The towing difference between a 1500 and 2500 is night and day. No more looking in the mirrors for passing 18 wheelers that suck you into their lane, lol. 

7 hours ago, Limelight said:

The towing difference between a 1500 and 2500 is night and day. No more looking in the mirrors for passing 18 wheelers that suck you into their lane, lol. 

Ya, I don’t wanna deal with any of that stuff. I’d feel much better being over-trucked than under.