2020 2500 max towing

Some of the single wheel trucks you see will be 3500'd -- which gives them a little higher rating.

A bigger improvement in ratings comes with the dual rear wheel configuration. 

7 hours ago, redwngr said:

Some of the single wheel trucks you see will be 3500'd -- which gives them a little higher rating.

A bigger improvement in ratings comes with the dual rear wheel configuration. 

The ones I’ve seen and I’m mentioning were 2500’s  i know with a 3500 it will be more  ?

I just picked up my 2500HD AT4 yesterday and plan on getting a fifth wheel in the next 2-3 years. There are plenty of fifth wheels that our trucks are capable of pulling with plenty of left over payload. Grand Design makes at least two or three in the 30-35 foot range. I like the fact that when you know your capabilities and max weights it can limit the amount of options that you can pick from because there are so many options out there. My two cents on toy haulers are  you are getting the best of both worlds, RV and a trailer for your gear in one. The toys themselves are heavy so make sure you know that weights of all the stuff going in the toy hauler. Also be aware that toy hauler fifth wheels are designed to have the toys in the back so unloaded tongue weights can be higher than actual weight to make it easier to calculate GVWR. In my estimation you may have to get a smaller toy hauler to stay safe. 

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, cem uras said:

I am looking to buy a 5th wheel toy hauler gvwr is 19,000lbs

i have 2020 2500 6.6 duramax hd denali with airbags.

does it mean that I am overweight 500lbs.

If I keep it lighter by semi empty black, gray, gas, fresh water liquids would I be ok?

I'm far from an expert on towing here, but by the time you load up your camper with supplies and add your toy in the back, I believe you'll be pushing the limits and capacity of a 2500.

2 hours ago, Ray Pickle said:

The new g.m. trucks have more payload than competitors. Payload will almost always be the limiting factor for towing. I pull a 12k 5th wheel with a gas 2500 and it is well within all limits.

I understand what you're saying, and your 12k is one thing, but for the comment above me asking about pulling a 19k toy hauler with a 2500, that is going to be too much. No matter if it's a Duramax or not.

IMG_9566.PNG

Just remember how the trailer ratings are calculated by SAE 2807.  Base vehicle weight + 300 lbs passengers + 100 lbs cargo + hitch weight (forgot the exact weight think it is 125 lbs) + 15% pin weight.   Then the trailer weight is raised until it hits GVW, RGAWR,  OR GCW.  So if your passengers, cargo, or pin weight is higher, your max trailer weight is lower.  I generally tell people if you get to about 80% of max number so should be good, over 80% you better find some scales and start weighing truck and trailer.

#iworkforGM 

On 12/27/2020 at 12:25 PM, cem uras said:

I am looking to buy a 5th wheel toy hauler gvwr is 19,000lbs

i have 2020 2500 6.6 duramax hd denali with airbags.

does it mean that I am overweight 500lbs.

If I keep it lighter by semi empty black, gray, gas, fresh water liquids would I be ok?

Figuring 20% of trailer GVWR as pin weight (which is an accepted rule of thumb for 5th wheels), that trailer would practically max out my 3500's payload rating. So, your 2500 is going to be 500-600lbs overloaded BEFORE your hitch, stuff in the bed, passengers, dog, etc. You're going to have to hit the scales to see what the actual weights are before you'll know for sure where you are. Air bags are for leveling and ride and don't change your payload capacity. One thing that could help is a light weight hitch. I have the Andersen Ultimate which only weighs 40lbs. But, that's only going to get you 100-200 pounds - at the most - depending on what hitch you have or are contemplating. For me, it was a big change from my Pullrite Superglide that required a hoist to get in and out.

Edited by Njmurvin