Perspective on 6.6 Gasser

Yup, hook it and carry on.

I've said before on here, a local construction company near me gets in new trucks all the time as they have a huge fleet of vehicles. The 2500/3500's will have a goose neck trailer hooked up on first day on the job as a new work vehicle, 200,000 miles later it's replaced with a new truck.

I strongly recommend getting her a few thousand miles before towing.  I do believe it does some good getting things worn in well.  Get your first oil change done, and then still plan on changing out the front and rear diff fluid as well as transfer case fluid at about 10,000 miles.  I for one see that people who take things easy from the beginning with their trucks and break them in slowly and properly tend to have the least amount of issues in the long run. 

I picked up my 2500hdAT4 gas on August 15th, so far very pleased with all aspects of the truck. Took about a week to get used to the size and driving characteristics from my 2014 Sierra 1500, but nothing major, parking and narrow roads are fun. 

I took the truck on a long trip Monday 8/31 about 600 miles total to the top of Mt. Washington Auto road and back. It got a respectable 15.5mpg all around. I thought that was fair given going up an 8 mile auto road was steep and coming down I was in low gear. The truck rides good and is very comfortable.

I just got back from towing my travel trailer for the first time, it is light for this truck at 7700lbs fully loaded, so i would say arounf 55-6000 with all of stuff in it. Truck was confident had plenty of power and had awesome grade breaking compared to the 1500. I got around 9.4mpg for the entire trip, which is ok, i saved 10k from getting a diesel so i knew fuel cost were going to be more. 

Overall after 1300 miles in about a month I love this truck. Not a lot on the road so it feels unique, gets a bunch of looks and it will be pulling a fifth wheel in the next 18-24 months hopefully. I feel full confident in it's ability, the extra weight and added payload and power are awesome. Like you guys said a mild tune and it will be unbeatable. 

Mike 

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to disagree that mileage is terrible while towing on a cost per mile basis. Between varying fuel cost gaps between diesel and gas, def cost, oil , and filters the difference is narrow. Post emission diesels towing what I tow seem to be getting between 10 and 11 mpg vs. my 9+. Right now diesel and gas prices are more or less a wash but typically that has not been the case. Even with this recent development maintenance and initial price difference makes strong case for gas assuming your towing needs fit in its capability.

• 1 month later...

The owner's manual says to wait 500 miles before towing, and to change oil before first tow.  This is not under break in, but first paragraph under towing section.

I have 8k travel trailer and load the truck to 9.3 k lbs when traveling.  I just traded a 19 dmax for this 20 Gasser.  It is plenty powerful for me, and more fun to drive than the dmax.