5.3l how many miles before rebuild?

14 hours ago, ullose272 said:

The older 5.3s, 99-06, would go forever. But as technology "improved" more things to go bad. AFM really hurt, between oil consumption and bad camshafts. Bad camshafts still happen.

2006-2013 had these design issues which were sorted out. Every motor gets a bad part now and again. The 2014/15 models already have enough years on them to have proved themselves pretty darn reliable. I know of a  few personally rounding 200 K plus without issue.  

2006-2013 had these design issues which were sorted out. Every motor gets a bad part now and again. The 2014/15 models already have enough years on them to have proved themselves pretty darn reliable. I know of a  few personally rounding 200 K plus without issue.  
I know of plenty of them that have had camshafts replaced, i know the issues with rhe AFM engines, i worked on a ton of them when i was a GM tech

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

The LS and LT engines are incredibly durable due to their heavily robust design (especially the iron blocks). That being said, while you'll see many GM trucks with high mileage, many other major components were replaced/rebuilt. I'd say 320,000 miles with regular maintenance, 500k+ if you really baby it.

Edited by YourDailyBeast

1 hour ago, ullose272 said:

I know of plenty of them that have had camshafts replaced, i know the issues with rhe AFM engines, i worked on a ton of them when i was a GM tech

And what percentage exactly of all motors made in this series, the Ecotec3, have had this failure?

Give us a number. 

10 minutes ago, YourDailyBeast said:

The LS and LT engines are incredibly durable due to their heavily robust design (especially the iron blocks). That being said, while you'll see many GM trucks with high mileage, many other major components were replaced/rebuilt. The transmissions were never that stout unless you babied it, the interiors were the cheapest I've ever seen, and their design was mundane and basic.

I have a 2000 Sierra with the 4.8, it's holding up pretty well compared to my buddy's '08 5.3.

He asked about the motor. 

5 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

And what percentage exactly of all motors made in this series, the Ecotec3, have had this failure?

Give us a number. 

He asked about the motor. 

I was looking at two different tabs and I forgot to end it at "replaced/rebuilt", while I was going to save the rest for a different topic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ullose272 said:

I dont care enough to put any time into this, im just sharing what I, and other techs i know that are still in the shop, know about the engine.

Sounds about right.

You don't have the facts but you do like to stir the pot. 

Here is what you know. What you've seen. What have you seen. What comes into the shop. What comes into the shop. Broke stuff. So you based this opinion on your experience of broke stuff and not on the facts.

What isn't broke doesn't come to the shop to fix what ain't broke.

You don't care enough?

You don't have access! 

Whatever.

4 hours ago, ullose272 said:

i worked on a ton of them when i was a GM tech

Did that happen to be between 2006 and 2013?

Did that happen to be between 2006 and 2013?

Late 09 to 14, you are right, its what i have seen, with my own eyes as a reoccuring issue. Just like i saw gm scramble to try to fix oil consumption issues with valve covers, oil sprayer deflectors, then they eventually get pistons. Ive also owned, an 01 6.0 gm, a 05 5.3 gm, 07 5.3 gm, a 14 5.3 gm, and a 17 6.2 gm, none have had the engine apart. That doesnt mean others havent had issues. Who are you? What have you seen?

The shop I deal with has 10 bays. I’ve known him for 40 years. I ask him want to stay away from. Cylinder deactivation engines up to the latest attempt. Not a lot a data on those yet. It’s logical more action going on in the engine. More prone to failure. Asking people who work on cars for a living would be a logical choice. Who else, you’re dentist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk