Bilstein 6112 thread for ‘19-‘20

• 2 months later...
On 12/6/2020 at 6:13 AM, Justinv113 said:

I have yet to disconnect the sway bar to see if that helps with the 6112 package. 

Did you ever test this? Theoretically the digressive valving of the Bilstein's should help offset the lack of a sway bar. 

You're absolutely right. I disconnected it last week and the handling is largely unchanged. Its a win win. Smoother ride without any real compromise. I have not towed anything without the bar, though. 

Ordered 6112s for the front and the 5100s for the rear on my 6.2 TB along with Cognito tubular UCAs.

I plan to set the fronts to the 1.2" setting. Right now, I have a Motofab bottom strut 1.5" spacer that goes bye bye once these get thrown on.

I'm not into huge lifts for a variety of reasons, but I'd like to run a larger tire (35s or close to it) on my stock 18s when these Duratracs wear out.

I'll take before and after measurements and ride impressions. 

6 minutes ago, HapaTrailBoss said:

Ordered 6112s for the front and the 5100s for the rear on my 6.2 TB along with Cognito tubular UCAs.

I plan to set the fronts to the 1.2" setting. Right now, I have a Motofab bottom strut 1.5" spacer that goes bye bye once these get thrown on.

I'm not into huge lifts for a variety of reasons, but I'd like to run a larger tire (35s or close to it) on my stock 18s when these Duratracs wear out.

I'll take before and after measurements and ride impressions. 

You don't need UCAs with the 6112s.  Stimulus money burning a hole?  🤣

Just now, lapoolboy said:

You don't need UCAs with the 6112s.  Stimulus money burning a hole?  🤣

LOL unfortunately I won't be getting a penny of that just contributing to national consumerism on my own.

I pound my truck off road, it's more peace of mind even if it's a placebo.

• 2 weeks later...

So I completely forgot to do ride height measurements with my 1.5 spacer compared to the 1.2 the 6112s provide. I can tell there is a slight rake which I prefer anyways since I load up my bed with crap a couple of times a month.

I can say it's a very noticeable difference from factory as far as ride quality. The truck is far more composed and planted on rough pavement. Body lean is vastly reduced and the truck has a firm confidence inspiring feeling. I'll probably hit the trails tomorrow or next weekend and share the differences there vs the stock suspension.

I know a lot of people mentioned this being night and day compared to the stock ranchos, while not to that extent IMO this was definitely worth the price paid.

Can anyone say if the 6112s are capable of handling the additional weight of a winch bumper? I have a Fab Fours Matrix bumper ordered and it weighs 150 lbs. Trying to avoid having additional squat up-front and increasing the already drastic rake.   Truck is a 2020 Sierra 1500 AT4. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, drs1er said:

With the 6112's and aftermarket UCA's, how are you loosening the UCA bolts to grease the bushings? You can't fit a wrench in there, thoughts?

Excellent point.  I suspect they are just pumping the grease to them without worrying (or knowing) about the harm it can do to the bushings.  This is why the rubber-bushing ReadyLift UCAs are so attractive.  Too bad they don't sell them separately.  

9 minutes ago, lapoolboy said:

Excellent point.  I suspect they are just pumping the grease to them without worrying (or knowing) about the harm it can do to the bushings.  This is why the rubber-bushing ReadyLift UCAs are so attractive.  Too bad they don't sell them separately.  

This reason alone makes me wish i didn't go the 6112 route.

Are you still running the icon coilovers with uca's, are you happy with them?

6 minutes ago, drs1er said:

This reason alone makes me wish i didn't go the 6112 route.

Are you still running the icon coilovers with uca's, are you happy with them?

Nope.  Sold them to a buddy at work.  I'm running 2" GM lift, stock UCAs, 6112's set at 1.2", and 5160's in the back.  Happy as a pig in slop!

PXL_20210323_225313688.jpg

Edited by lapoolboy
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, lapoolboy said:

Nope.  Sold them to a buddy at work.  I'm running 2" GM lift, stock UCAs, 6112's set at 1.2", and 5160's in the back.  Happy as a pig in slop!

PXL_20210323_225313688.jpg

I'm running the same setup, no complaints on ride quality.

Just had to get my CV shafts replaced under warranty because they both started slinging grease from the boots at the diff.

Nice truck.