Afm problem

Fail is an interesting word, don't you think? I've had cars/bikes/trucks fail to get me home or to my destination. None of it motor related. I've had motors fail to perform as they should and still get me to my destination. I've had motors fail to perform to their designed capability. I've had motors fail to excite me. 

I've never had a motor fail, that is break a crank, a rod, spin a bearing, flatten a cam, crash a valve, fail a lifter, pull a stud or by any other means let daylight into a place it shouldn't. Not in the 1960's and not now. Then again I've never asked of a design more than it could give. Not even racing. 

I have had a few spectacular transmission failures. :crackup:Transmissions were the device that taught me machines have limits and that my right foot was directly connected to my wallet. Abuse comes in more forms than flogging it.  

• Thanks 1

Off topic, my wheel bearing just got caught trying to put the humming sound on my tires. Anyone know which one is the best, GM bet it’s not made in USA, Kriptonite or Moog?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

58 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Off topic, my wheel bearing just got caught trying to put the humming sound on my tires. Anyone know which one is the best, GM bet it’s not made in USA, Kriptonite or Moog?

I've been using SKF on customer's vehicles. Also installed a set in the Silverado after the Moog bearings failed after just 23k miles. Half as good as the crappy OE ones! They must've copied the OE design, and made zero improvements. The SKF units are built much better - they use a barrel shaped roller bearing on the side with the most forces applied to it. I believe they call those the X-Tracker bearings - get those. There's a couple different grades of SKF bearings. 

I asked my brother in law as I previously mentioned what to look for replacement on higher mileage GM full-size. He’s 62 now. I can name all his rides. I found his first the 69 firebird. 67 Chevy truck. An S-10. Once out of college and married. His new wife had 626 Mazda. He was still driving the S-10. Then the large GM SUVs along with 2 girls. When the SUVs hit 200K he took them and bought another one. One new pickup became a family hauler in the mix. The one he now drives. One suv was totaled by a red light runner. Counting the totaled one 4 SUVs, one new p/u and one used large p/u for one daughter for college. He’s now restoring the 69 bird the second time. He replaced one rear end on one earlier SUV at over 300K he got close to 400K on that one. And his truck a recent transmission. The cheapskate move himself when he got transferred. Using that truck and large trailer to move his furniture. More than once. And his firebird. Why this history I’ll tell you. Outside the mechanical replacements mentioned. He’s done nothing but routine maintenance. No front end parts. Water pumps. Just maintenance. That’s what people have grown to expect.

• Like 1

That's the way things SHOULD be! They were this way for a long time. Stuff from the old days would last forever if kept out of road salt. Look at Cuba - they've been rebuilding and fixing American relics for 6 decades now, all still on the road!

I foresee bypassing 100 magic boxes with endless wiring nightmares when my truck gets to that age. Will have to come up with new ways to get the windows, radio, and fuel pump to work. Body will be gone by then - it sits in a garage most of the time (broken down twice in the past 2 years), and yet the body still rots away. I gave up washing it every winter after the first rust blisters. The stuff that counts, the undercarriage, gets soaked in oil every fall. I'll be doing that after this new transmission gets in there.

The way the USPS has been dropping the ball lately, it'll probably be winter before the rest of my parts arrive. Been in Detroit for 2 weeks now!! Figures.?

That's the way things SHOULD be! They were this way for a long time. Stuff from the old days would last forever if kept out of road salt. Look at Cuba - they've been rebuilding and fixing American relics for 6 decades now, all still on the road!

I foresee bypassing 100 magic boxes with endless wiring nightmares when my truck gets to that age. Will have to come up with new ways to get the windows, radio, and fuel pump to work. Body will be gone by then - it sits in a garage most of the time (broken down twice in the past 2 years), and yet the body still rots away. I gave up washing it every winter after the first rust blisters. The stuff that counts, the undercarriage, gets soaked in oil every fall. I'll be doing that after this new transmission gets in there.

The way the USPS has been dropping the ball lately, it'll probably be winter before the rest of my parts arrive. Been in Detroit for 2 weeks now!! Figures.[emoji35]

One of the blessings of living in the south no snow. With a simple carport a vehicle can look good for many years. When I lived I New Jersey my wife’s car came out in good weather only. Even then my 74 Nova rusted. Here my wife’s 11 year old car looks new.

• Like 1

George7013 replies to a question about why the need for a replacement motor for his 2015 quarter million mile ride. 

Nothing is "wrong." It has 250k. It ticks obnoxiously loud. The motor could last another 20k miles so I'm trying to plan for when it does decide to go.

Someone should tell him they all 'tick'. ? 

Looks as if the can just got kicked AGAIN. 

:crackup:

It's those lifters again! ? Amazing how one decision by a corporation to save a buck has reverberations around the world ...

Strange how my truck will do that some mornings, and not others, regardless of temperature. Hard to predict anything with these engines anymore. Back in the day I drove 350s and 305s ticking away for years, with a steady diet of the cheapest crap oil I could find. .77 cent a quart Sunoco oil at ADAP Auto Parts, lol. Never had a problem! Neither did any of my friends. Only engines I ever saw get destroyed either had no oil, or no coolant ... and were operated by women. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

It's those lifters again! ? Amazing how one decision by a corporation to save a buck has reverberations around the world ...

Strange how my truck will do that some mornings, and not others, regardless of temperature. Hard to predict anything with these engines anymore. Back in the day I drove 350s and 305s ticking away for years, with a steady diet of the cheapest crap oil I could find. .77 cent a quart Sunoco oil at ADAP Auto Parts, lol. Never had a problem! Neither did any of my friends. Only engines I ever saw get destroyed either had no oil, or no coolant ... and were operated by women. ?

I will agree with great eagerness this new breed needs, no demands a much stricter oil regiment. That said and for those that don't mind, it goes along way to providing yesteryear type reliability from modern motors.  

12 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Timken.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input on the wheel bearings, went with Precision as they’ve come highly recommended by a few offroading buddies of mine, they also have a 3year warranty compared to Timken and others which only come with a 1year warranty.