Afm problem

Just for clarity, this was a colleague's picture - not mine.

Edited by Jsdirt

My 2017 5.3 with 33,5xx miles on it is at the dealer now with a ticking lifter. Service Advisor called late in the day 10/12 said parts ordered, but 1-11/2 weeks out due to being back ordered. Didn't say which particular part was back ordered. Took the truck in AM of 10/12.

A little back ground, dealer oil changes ever 4k since new. And a Range V8 since 3500 miles .Truck does see alot of short trips as it's my run around the farm truck. Usually my wife takes it in for oil changes, and I just check it to make sure the oil filter isn't leaking and the oil level is correct when she brings it back. 

Edited by Tucker
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

So where does the 2009 model year Lacrosse 4T65e fall in the chain of improvements? I have 49K trouble free on Daisy so far with one complete service at 45K. Fluid and filter. Drop and fill. 

Grumps?  So you see that?  135k highest on a AFM engine?  LOL...oh..God!  Are going to beat me to that record?  Anyway the trans you have in the buick will most likely NEVER Give you a problem it was in everything front wheel GM made...because they were damn good!  I would give many things to go back to those shifting boxes...ever since the 6pd nothing but problems!  Pan drops all I did on mine 4T65e's and 60's

Grumps, I approve those transmissions!

Back to the AFM nonsense GM durability wouldn't even allow the actuations to have one qty mishap under 500k times.  That equates to almost 7yrs.  High miler 3.5 years.  That was a minimum requirement and I believe GM stated their testing showed considerably more or double that number and they were comfortable with the technology handling everyday usage in customer applications.  So I digress......I am at 124k chewing on Grumps tail....knowing both of us are on borrowed "lifter Time"

I am going to AMSOIL tomorrow!  I will make that 135k on AMSOIL!!!!! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tucker said:

My 2017 5.3 with 33,5xx miles on it is at the dealer now with a ticking lifter. Service Advisor called late in the day 10/12 said parts ordered, but 1-11/2 weeks out due to being back ordered. Didn't say which particular part was back ordered. Took the truck in AM of 10/12.

A little back ground, dealer oil changes ever 4k since new. And a Range V8 since 3500 miles .Truck does see alot of short trips as it's my run around the farm truck. Usually my wife takes it in for oil changes, and I just check it to make sure the oil filter isn't leaking and the oil level is correct when she brings it back. 

Sorry to hear that! It's just amazing that GM continues to use these crappy lifters, or another version of them, 10 model years later. Amazing they get away with this! Infuriating ... ? If I sent vehicles out of here like that, I'd be out of business!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tucker said:

our trucks already have the Range device built into the software, it's easy to activate, no need to spend $200 for this contraption. just manually shif to the gear that disables the v4 mode.  6 speed trucks is m5 gear. i dont know why people keep buying stuff like this

I'm very happy with the ride and powertrain in my 2009 Buick LaCrosse 3.8 CXL.
That said if I could find a 64 Electra 225.....now there's a ride [emoji6] 

That’s was my dads car. The white Buick Electra 225 with the 455 4 barreled carburetor, vinyl top. That was an amazing road trip vehicle, very smooth and excellent power. Yeah, it was great for road trips but a boat in the city. I’ve got a buddy of mine that still has his grandfathers Caprice Classic convertible, just as much a battle boat but either will put you to sleep on a road trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I’m at 42k miles, have been running nothing but Amsoil SS along with Amsoil EAO17 Filters, 4K OCI’s, still (Knock on an Amsoil Can [emoji6]) with zero issues, running very strong, no engine noise at all. I’m also SuperChips tuned with AFM off, running on performance mode. I also run every other tank, either 6 gallons of E85 mixed in with 93 octane or Lucas Fuel Treatment with 93 octane, nothing but 93 octane has ever been in this truck.

Absolutely ZERO oil consumption or burn off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, flyingfool said:

our trucks already have the Range device built into the software, it's easy to activate, no need to spend $200 for this contraption. just manually shif to the gear that disables the v4 mode.  6 speed trucks is m5 gear. i dont know why people keep buying stuff like this

Not that this matters to me because I have HP Tuners with AFM disabled, but,...

It seems like I get roughly the same gas mileage with 8th gear locked out. The 3.23 gear set in my truck does me no favors though. 80 MPH gets me 1750 RPM in 8th gear - that's ridiculously tall gearing. Those with data logging abilities need to watch the timing advance curve and cylinder airmass when your engine is lugged on the highway in top gear - then, drop a gear and see how she runs. I get lower airmass, higher timing advance and zero lugging. It's happy in 7th and any gearhead can feel it too. 70 MPH in 7th gets me right under 2100 RPM. Perfect. Engines don't like being lugged around. 

I might get flamed for this but I actually put together a highway only AFM tune where I lock out 8th gear completely and prevent AFM from enabling until 50 MPH. The additional 550 RPM from being in 7th allows AFM to stay enabled for much longer. I'm going up to Waco this Friday and I'm going to leg it out to see just what she'll do. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flyingfool said:

No disrespect, but this is folklore.  AFM kicking in depends on the computer's memory of the truck's usage and the current throttle position.  I agree that 4th gear would probably keep it out of AFM, but I can't tell you how many times I saw AFM kick in on 5th gear and light throttle on our '09 1500 with a 6-speed.  While people on here were telling me it was impossible.  The GM Service Mgr said "not impossible."  Then I got the Range.  Then I finally tuned out the AFM with a Hypertech.  

13 minutes ago, MaverickZ71 said:

No disrespect, but this is folklore.  AFM kicking in depends on the computer's memory of the truck's usage and the current throttle position.  I agree that 4th gear would probably keep it out of AFM, but I can't tell you how many times I saw AFM kick in on 5th gear and light throttle on our '09 1500 with a 6-speed.  While people on here were telling me it was impossible.  The GM Service Mgr said "not impossible."  Then I got the Range.  Then I finally tuned out the AFM with a Hypertech.  

Actually, on the trucks, M5 or lower (6L80) and M7 or lower (8L90) prevents AFM from enabling. Period. Comparing the OS from 2009 era to the new OS is like comparing your iPhone 3G to the iPhone whatever-the-hell they're about to come out with. 

Even with HPTuners I cannot override that. I wouldn't mind AFM in a lower gear in some situations. A master switch and individual gear control would be nice. 

Edited by lucas287

2 hours ago, flyingfool said:

I get 15 MPG on a good day with my '07. Driving around in 3rd would net me 12 at best - probably 10, realistically. Cheaper in the long run to just buy the Range, and be done with it.  

15 minutes ago, Jsdirt said:

I get 15 MPG on a good day with my '07. Driving around in 3rd would net me 12 at best - probably 10, realistically. Cheaper in the long run to just buy the Range, and be done with it.  

This forum specifically is relating to K2XX trucks which all have at a minimum of 6 gears. I don't think anyone is suggesting you drive your 4L60 around in 3rd. Why not get your truck tuned, though? I know of several well known shops within 2 hours of me that charge $300 for a live in-person street tune on a basic older truck like yours. Just a thought :) 

You obviously didn't see my location to the left of my posts. MA - it's all illegal here. State shut down all the diesel tuners. I can only assume the same for the gas ones.

Only place I'd trust is the place that built my buddy's 900 RWHP  '11 Camaro - they're over 2 hours southwest of here - more if you happen to hit rush hour. Not exactly convenient. I'll do it eventually, but not just to tune out AFM. I'll be doing it for a bolt-on supercharger, since my driveline has been beefed up now after all its failures. For now, the Range is doing fine. Bought it used for $140, 4 years ago.

Edited by Jsdirt

13 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

Mechanically, 100% of the time.They basically self-destruct.

I'm a rolling test bed for the Range device - I'll find out soon enough whether or not that device is going to kick this can far enough down the road for me. At 103k miles (with a blown transmission too, but I digress ...), so I'm right in the red zone of failures. Problem is, I only do about 2,500 miles a year, so it'll be a while (not a bad thing for my wallet!). With the tranny blown (and the differential replacement last year), it'll be even less. 

Highest mile one I've ever heard of on original AFM lifters was 135k, give or take a thousand.

I notice that every one of those lifter bodies is scored.  

The pins are what, sheared off or stuck retracted? The failed unit pins are flush with the plungers!