Afm problem

On 10/7/2020 at 4:40 PM, Bob2C said:

Would an engine flush say like an amsoil product every few oil changes be a good thing to do to prevent any buildup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It wouldn't hurt anything.  Depending on what oil you use and how often you change it as well as driving conditions.  Some don't realize that if you drive very short distances and don't really get the engine up to operating temperature, it can cause more problems.  With these new engines and 8qt stumps. It takes way longer for the oil to reach optimum temp.  

Using AMSOIL's engine flush is a safe way to keep things clean inside at oil change time.  It helps to put all contaminates into suspension and they drain out when you pull the drain plug.

The best thing is to run a quality oil and filter and if you do extended oil drains get a used oil analysis to see how things are inside the engine.

It wouldn't hurt anything.  Depending on what oil you use and how often you change it as well as driving conditions.  Some don't realize that if you drive very short distances and don't really get the engine up to operating temperature, it can cause more problems.  With these new engines and 8qt stumps. It takes way longer for the oil to reach optimum temp.  

Using AMSOIL's engine flush is a safe way to keep things clean inside at oil change time.  It helps to put all contaminates into suspension and they drain out when you pull the drain plug.

The best thing is to run a quality oil and filter and if you do extended oil drains get a used oil analysis to see how things are inside the engine.

Thanks. Had oil analysis done recently on amsoil xl @6k. The prior was gas truck at 3k. I can easily say amsoil xl can go 9k miles with out problem. Gas truck I would do about 5k max IMO

0eae88dbd3cdffbfe68e30d68a9a7c2d.jpg

12 minutes ago, Bob2C said:

Thanks. Had oil analysis done recently on amsoil xl @6k. The prior was gas truck at 3k. I can easily say amsoil xl can go 9k miles with out problem. Gas truck I would do about 5k max IMO

0eae88dbd3cdffbfe68e30d68a9a7c2d.jpg

Nice report.  The only issue I see is fuel dilution. Blackstone tests for fuel on an old system and isn't very accurate.  This is also why your flashpoint is so low. You more than likely have a higher fuel dilution than what is showing.  DI engines are bad for FD.  This is also the main reason I feel that GM when with an 8qt sump.  If they stayed with a 6qt then you couldn't go very long on an oil change since the oil would be shot due to fuel.  It isn't the oils fault.  As you can see AMSOIL did a great job protecting even with high fuels.  Another reason to use a high quality lubricant like AMSOIL.

• Like 1

Nice report.  The only issue I see is fuel dilution. Blackstone tests for fuel on an old system and isn't very accurate.  This is also why your flashpoint is so low. You more than likely have a higher fuel dilution than what is showing.  DI engines are bad for FD.  This is also the main reason I feel that GM when with an 8qt sump.  If they stayed with a 6qt then you couldn't go very long on an oil change since the oil would be shot due to fuel.  It isn't the oils fault.  As you can see AMSOIL did a great job protecting even with high fuels.  Another reason to use a high quality lubricant like AMSOIL.

I do a lot of idling and town driving. I’m sure that has a lot to do with it. My other DI engines are the same way.

I think my biggest problem with amsoil isn't that it is bad as it is quite good (best is debatable) but the fact that amsoil sellers/fans are like cross fitters, they just hound you with their information, findings and pages waving flags, posting their boxes full of it and talking how it is the best by far or you will have a higher chance of a failure. You search for amsoil info and you get 300 pages from amsoil forums and dealers/sellers with their information and test results they want you to see and it supports their agenda. Then you have the people selling it giving you their information, well of course they want to you buy it so they get paid. It just feels like it is borderline propaganda with how much they try and force it down peoples throats, and it is that feeling that has me turned off by them. I have never seen any of the other brands pushing their oils on forums, maybe it is because amsoil is small and trying to carve out a niche or following in the market place? Then you factor in the high cost and that the other top main stream brands (Mobil, Pennzoil, Shell, etc) are tested for millions of miles in the engines by designers and engineers of factory motors like GM's LT/LS motors, Dodges Hellcat/SRT motors and even McLaren's and their 720s. They are the same brands used by top race teams in Formula 1, Nascar and Top Fuel, granted in many cases they are special weights or blends but they get to pick and choose oil brands. If all that is good enough those people then my truck/GTO, which was benchmarked with Mobil, it is plenty good enough as well especially as I prefer to follow a reasonable oil change interval of around 6k. Fresher top tier but maybe a half rung down oil from Mobil at a nearly a 3rd the price is better than top tier 3x the price amosil at nearly 20k intervals. And no, the engine isn't going to fail at 75k, 120k and so on most likely because I don't use amsoil and amsoil isn't going to miraculously guarantee no engine issues to 300k+, it is a mechanical unit if it is going to break it can and will break. I keep my vehicles to 150-200k without amsoil and will continue to do so as that is what is recommended by those who built and torcher tested the motor. 

Tyler

So if I get you right. So get turned off from people like me who sell and use Amsoil and give testimony’s of their use. In my case hundreds of costumers over 30 plus years. But you’re ok with big oil paying for endorsements like NASCAR drivers, formula one and NHRA. Got it.

• Like 1

amxguy1970

I agree with your comments. Have used dino oil for years, went to full syn. 3 k OCI's. 

The Amsoil hype got me to. 

But I switched to Amsoil ATV oil for my Honda and the difference in motor quietness and transmission shifts was very noticeable. 

amxguy1970
I agree with your comments. Have used dino oil for years, went to full syn. 3 k OCI's. 
But I switched to Amsoil ATV oil for my Honda and the difference in motor quietness and transmission shifts was very noticeable. 

We had tractors we added hydraulic systems to power our clearing attachments. They were high pressure and flow pumps. If you had a high pressure hose failure it would take out the pump through cavitation ( loss of oil). There’re basically like automatic transmission. Amsoil synthetic hydrolic oil gave enough lubrication to allow shut down without losing the hydraulic pump. My father had an 88 Ford diesels with a c-6 transmission. He pulled a large 5th wheel. He also pulled our tractors when needed. At 100K the C-6 fried. With the rebuild we added Amsoil transmission fluid. We also add a bank’s turbo kit and gear vendors. The C-6 and 410 gear made 74 mph the top speed. Gear vendor gave it 94 mph. With Amsoil transmission fluid and oil. The truck never had another failure after an additional 180K miles. I have many examples like that. We sold over 200 of those model tractors with Amsoil fluids in them. Remember we make money repairing the equipment we sell. Amsoil reduce those hydraulic repairs. Of course there was always people who would put in Dino hydraulic fluid. After I told you so, we’d repair them after they burn up the drive pump. The transmission and hydraulic pumps savings made me a Amsoil motor oil user.

• Like 3

OK OK OK. Enough Amsoil sales stuff on this AMF thread! Go start an AMSOIL thread.....

Rather than saying non helpful things, Listen and learn something, Oil is the #1 contributor to AFM failure hence the reason for bringing up high quality products that help stop the chance of AFM problems.

amxguy1970

That’s cause Amsoil isn’t hype, it really is a superior product [emoji6]

I think my biggest problem with amsoil isn't that it is bad as it is quite good (best is debatable) but the fact that amsoil sellers/fans are like cross fitters, they just hound you with their information, findings and pages waving flags, posting their boxes full of it and talking how it is the best by far or you will have a higher chance of a failure. You search for amsoil info and you get 300 pages from amsoil forums and dealers/sellers with their information and test results they want you to see and it supports their agenda. Then you have the people selling it giving you their information, well of course they want to you buy it so they get paid. It just feels like it is borderline propaganda with how much they try and force it down peoples throats, and it is that feeling that has me turned off by them. I have never seen any of the other brands pushing their oils on forums, maybe it is because amsoil is small and trying to carve out a niche or following in the market place? Then you factor in the high cost and that the other top main stream brands (Mobil, Pennzoil, Shell, etc) are tested for millions of miles in the engines by designers and engineers of factory motors like GM's LT/LS motors, Dodges Hellcat/SRT motors and even McLaren's and their 720s. They are the same brands used by top race teams in Formula 1, Nascar and Top Fuel, granted in many cases they are special weights or blends but they get to pick and choose oil brands. If all that is good enough those people then my truck/GTO, which was benchmarked with Mobil, it is plenty good enough as well especially as I prefer to follow a reasonable oil change interval of around 6k. Fresher top tier but maybe a half rung down oil from Mobil at a nearly a 3rd the price is better than top tier 3x the price amosil at nearly 20k intervals. And no, the engine isn't going to fail at 75k, 120k and so on most likely because I don't use amsoil and amsoil isn't going to miraculously guarantee no engine issues to 300k+, it is a mechanical unit if it is going to break it can and will break. I keep my vehicles to 150-200k without amsoil and will continue to do so as that is what is recommended by those who built and torcher tested the motor. 

Tyler

With all due respect, the oil companies you’ve mentioned are NOT picked by automotive manufacturers because of their outstanding qualities, they paid the automotive manufacturers for it and meet “MINIMUM” requirements in order to keep their engines running through the manufacturers warranty period.

You don’t like hearing about the superior Amsoil oil, why? No one is making you buy it, rather than ignoring it you’ve chosen to interact and make your own claims on your cheap minimum requirement oil which great, that’s what you use then that’s what you use but don’t think for a moment that you or anyone else gets a pat on the back for feeding your vehicle the cheapest, minimum required oil and then later blame the manufacturers for failures.

It’s like eating foods containing MSG all the time, they’re all low quality, cheap costing food and eventually the lack of nutrition which would have helped maintain a healthy immune system will cause system breakdowns. Well, same goes with everything in life, engines are no different and being proactive only helps.

Good luck [emoji1303]

• Like 1

Really simple to me. A 100% synthetic motor oil, gear lube ECT. has to be superior. Is it necessary? No! 

Absolutely correct, not necessarily required but highly recommended for longevity [emoji6]

Still boggles my mind, folks buying $50K plus vehicles only to complain about spending a few extra dollars helping to protect what’s already a depreciating asset, why not help it last, eventually with most pay it off and keep it, far cheaper than starting a new financial commitment, help it last.

My AC guy uses Amsoil in his two trucks, one has over 300k miles on it and the other one has close to 200k miles with never having any engine problems but did say he wishes he could’ve said the same for the rest of his truck lol.

Hey, what’s cheaper, paying a few dollars extra on OCI’s for Preventative maintenance or engine repairs? Only you know the answer to this.....

Gooooood luck to everyone and God Bless