Afm problem

With the bean counters firmly in charge, carmakers, and much of American industry have lost their single-minded focus on product excellence and their competitive advantage and are focused on making money over quality.  As one friend joked to me recently, GM doesn't make trucks, they make money.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

With the bean counters firmly in charge, carmakers, and much of American industry have lost their single-minded focus on product excellence and their competitive advantage and are focused on making money over quality.  As one friend joked to me recently, GM doesn't make trucks, they make money.

I still am amazed how many people drive trucks. Watching young mothers struggle to load their kids into trucks and SUVs. Watching people park them is entertaining too. Especially in the New England states. I love my truck. If I could only have one vehicle it would be a full size car like my wife’s Genesis. There’s so my reasons I’m not going to list them all. The biggest trick the big three pulled off in the last 20 years was switching people to truck base vehicles. The money people shell out for a vehicle with a big hole in the back continues to amaze me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I still am amazed how many people drive trucks. Watching young mothers struggle to load their kids into trucks and SUVs. Watching people park them is entertaining too. Especially in the New England states. I love my truck. If I could only have one vehicle it would be a full size car like my wife’s Genesis. There’s so my reasons I’m not going to list them all. The biggest trick the big three pulled off in the last 20 years was switching people to truck base vehicles. The money people shell out for a vehicle with a big hole in the back continues to amaze me.

Don’t agree, trucks are utilitarian and play multiple roles. My 4 door sedan sits in the garage most of the time, always choosing to drive my truck instead. My wife already misses her big Yukon XL and has already mentioned getting rid of her new X5 and back into another XL. There’s something to be said when you’re behind the wheel of a large utilitarian vehicle but don’t have the room to list them all either.

• Like 1

Don’t agree, trucks are utilitarian and play multiple roles. My 4 door sedan sits in the garage most of the time, always choosing to drive my truck instead. My wife already misses her big Yukon XL and has already mentioned getting rid of her new X5 and back into another XL. There’s something to be said when you’re behind the wheel of a large utilitarian vehicle but don’t have the room to list them all either.

The price difference between an equal equipped luxury car and truck is amazing. I can buy a luxury car with the money I saved buy a good used truck as a second vehicle. I’ve done just that.

Back in 2016, 3 weeks after purchasing the Yukon XL, took the family in a long trip to Arizona to stay at a resort for a week then Vegas for a few days but cut it short cause weren’t impressed. Anyway, one of the biggest pluses I got was the 26-27 mpg’s on the trip. Mind you, four people, loaded down with gear, suitcases and still got 26-27 mpgs, never had a large sedan give me that much room, full BlueRay Screens, Video Gaming, superior driving capabilities like just being able to have much more visibility of the road and incoming traffic. Drove through very heavy downpours and had zero uncomfortable moments but rather “Glad to be in it” moments.

I’d have to say out if all the family vehicles I’ve ever had, it’s definitely the #2 missed vehicle, LandCruiser #1 missed [emoji6]

The price difference between an equal equipped luxury car and truck is amazing. I can buy a luxury car with the money I saved buy a good used truck as a second vehicle. I’ve done just that.

Cars/sedans versus trucks and SUV’s aren’t in the same class so there’s going to be a HUGE difference. My high performance luxury Mercedes is just that, a trip from Houston to Dallas and that’s it. Hit a pot hole and it’s $2K per wheel and tire. You mentioned watching moms haul their kids and stuff, that’s exactly the point, exceptional family vehicles, second to none.

Before the XL, my wife had nagged me into getting her a Volvo XC70 AWD Turbo, she loved it in town, “WE ALL” hated it on any trip, super cramped, couldn’t load more than a few suitcases. Only thing it was good for was zippy, safe and that’s it. It was gone in a few years after the rear end literally fell apart. Before the Volvo, I bought her a new Escalade, she loved it. So, seems to me, the SUV’s and Trucks ARE much more sought after and not because of any marketing, because they’re much better fit for medium to large (Utilitarian) families that like being on the go. Oops, I forgot about two very large Shepherds too.

Back in 2016, 3 weeks after purchasing the Yukon XL, took the family in a long trip to Arizona to stay at a resort for a week then Vegas for a few days but cut it short cause weren’t impressed. Anyway, one of the biggest pluses I got was the 26-27 mpg’s on the trip. Mind you, four people, loaded down with gear, suitcases and still got 26-27 mpgs, never had a large sedan give me that much room, full BlueRay Screens, Video Gaming, superior driving capabilities like just being able to have much more visibility of the road and incoming traffic. Drove through very heavy downpours and had zero uncomfortable moments but rather “Glad to be in it” moments.

I’d have to say out if all the family vehicles I’ve ever had, it’s definitely the #2 missed vehicle, LandCruiser #1 missed [emoji6]

You’re preference in noted. I can do that with a station wagon. The weight distribution is better and a passing tractor trailer wouldn’t move you around. My many years of driving 50-60K miles a year across the country. The white knuckle rainy, windy events in a truck were experience often. I always relieved to take the family cross country vacations in whatever large stable sedan we had at the time. The laid back one finger driving experience can not be matched by any riding high off the ground trucks and SUV today. It defies physics. My fatigue is halved driving a car verses trucks in my long drives cross country. Something I noticed more now reaching 65. Im off topic again. Enjoy your truck!

• Like 1

Modern cars seem to fatigue me more. You feel every single pebble on the roadway, and every sound reverberates through the cheap,  low-bidder chassis. Now my '86 Grand Marquis cannot be matched by ANYTHING built the past 25 years. Bilstein shocks and a new front end, this thing just floats over everything.  Plenty of leg room for everyone, and plenty of room for luggage, and you'll still be able to see out the rearview. :)

Can even tow a trailer if so inclined, as an added bonus.

Edited by Jsdirt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Modern cars seem to fatigue me more. You feel every single pebble on the roadway, and every sound reverberates through the cheap,  low-bidder chassis. Now my '86 Grand Marquis cannot be matched by ANYTHING built the past 25 years. Bilstein shocks and a new front end, this thing just floats over everything.  Plenty of leg room for everyone, and plenty of room for luggage, and you'll still be able to see out the rearview. [emoji4]

Much too my dismay. And still have owning more large GM sedans than any other. The Hyundai and Kia line of cars are the new GM. My wife’s 10 year old Genesis is far superior to any Impala, Grand Marquis I’ve ever owned. My 94 Impala was my last. I had it 8 years.

I miss the velour bucket seat interiors with the fold down arm rest, could drive for ever lol.

Ok, sorry, back on topic, so when did your troubles start [emoji1788] lol

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Much too my dismay. And still have owning more large GM sedans than any other. The Hyundai and Kia line of cars are the new GM. My wife’s 10 year old Genesis is far superior to any Impala, Grand Marquis I’ve ever owned. My 94 Impala was my last. I had it 8 years.

Yeah, both those brands have come a long way. Used to be the biggest piles built - now I'd drive one over ANY GM product hands down. At least I know they'd get me home! Not bad lookers, either.

Yeah, both those brands have come a long way. Used to be the biggest piles built - now I'd drive one over ANY GM product hands down. At least I know they'd get me home! Not bad lookers, either.

We have an 05 Elantra GT we bought new. First of 4 including the Genesis, Genesis Coup, and Santa Fe. The 05 is now with my grandson after my wife and daughter. All trouble free.

11 minutes ago, Jsdirt said:

They have come along way, now they are just on par with every other manufacturer. In the 50k km I had my 2019 Optima, it lost power steering, killed two batteries (Kia swore up and down there wasn't a power draw somewhere), the Pano roof stopped working twice, and there was a TSB to have a sensor reprogrammed to detect excessive engine vibration because they still haven't fixed a problem the 2.4 has had since 2011. The car was nice, but far from the most reliable car I've had. 

Yep, sounds like all of 'em these days. Even my brother's Tundra has been back to the dealer under warranty a few times already for stupid stuff that shouldn't be happening. And they're probably the most reliable brand you can buy today. Sad times we live in, no doubt. I know I'll always be working with crap like this rolling off the assembly lines ...

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Jsdirt said:

Modern cars seem to fatigue me more. You feel every single pebble on the roadway, and every sound reverberates through the cheap,  low-bidder chassis. Now my '86 Grand Marquis cannot be matched by ANYTHING built the past 25 years. Bilstein shocks and a new front end, this thing just floats over everything.  Plenty of leg room for everyone, and plenty of room for luggage, and you'll still be able to see out the rearview. :)

I'm very happy with the ride and powertrain in my 2009 Buick LaCrosse 3.8 CXL.

That said if I could find a 64 Electra 225.....now there's a ride ? 

• Like 1