Cargo/Bed Lights

Now that it's getting darker earlier, I've noticed that my bed lights don't stay on for long after opening up the MultiPro. It would be great/convenient to have the cargo lamp/bed lights (and mirror lights for that matter) illuminate when I've unlocked the door, or at least have some control over them without having to open up the driver door and manually turn them on (then having to remember to turn them off).

You would think with all these bells and whistles (some unnecessary - ie: electronic parking brake), they would have a better/easier way to turn on all the lights at night.

Also would like the fog lights to stay on with the high beams, but this may be a legality issue in some places...

I've read a few posts about a diode mod, but is that the only solution?

- Thanks

I would like to just see a button / switch in the bed to turn those on specifically. 90% of trucks have tonneau covers. Personally the cargo light on the back window just blinds me as I am trying to look in the bed under the tonneau. Love the bed lights but, like you, just wish they put a little more thought into controlling them. 

As far as I know the Boost Auto - All Lights mod is the only safe route to go at this point. I just installed the Auto Fog light mod yesterday. Like that a lot. 

I know on older trucks you could put a 

32 minutes ago, KCU Beor said:

Now that it's getting darker earlier, I've noticed that my bed lights don't stay on for long after opening up the MultiPro. It would be great/convenient to have the cargo lamp/bed lights (and mirror lights for that matter) illuminate when I've unlocked the door, or at least have some control over them without having to open up the driver door and manually turn them on (then having to remember to turn them off).

You would think with all these bells and whistles (some unnecessary - ie: electronic parking brake), they would have a better/easier way to turn on all the lights at night.

Also would like the fog lights to stay on with the high beams, but this may be a legality issue in some places...

- Thanks

I know on older trucks you could use a diode to between the relays on the fog lights and high beams to keep them on when High beams are turned on.   With electrical systems today being far more complicated, this may not be such an easy option anymore.

1 hour ago, Hotwheel said:

I just put a jumper wire at The BCM from the interior lights to the bed lights so now they come when ever the door is open or you press the key fob to open the doors.

I like that idea even better! Can you elaborate please? Can you do this with the cargo light as well?

10 hours ago, Hotwheel said:

I just put a jumper wire at The BCM from the interior lights to the bed lights so now they come when ever the door is open or you press the key fob to open the doors.

Also interested in how you accomplished this.

A jumper wire is installed the same way a diode is installed at the BCM. The diode only allows the current (electricity) to flow in one direction where a wire will allow it to flow in both directions...

For example - Hotwheel used a wire and wanted his bed lights to come on anytime his interior lights were on, which this accomplished. But since the electricity can flow in both directions, when (or if) he uses the bed light switch in the cab, his interior lights will come on too. If a diode is used and placed the correct way (interior lights to bed lights), the bed lights will come every time the interior lights are on (like he has it), but the interior lights will not come on if the bed light switch is used...

Below is a BCM diode mod on a '16 jumping from from one pin in the brown module to one pin in the pink module. The diode has a silver stripe on the pink module side. Electricity can only flown from the brown side to the pink side, but not the other direction. If a wire was used, it would flow both directions...

diode.jpg

13 hours ago, Hotwheel said:

Not the most helpful, but should be a good read with 884 pages of crap to go through. I’m assuming the 1500 and 2500 maybe have the same BCM?

On 10/9/2020 at 10:31 AM, KCU Beor said:

- Thanks

Here's a great mod I'm trying for the fogs.  

9 hours ago, Coles5515 said:

Happen to remember the pages or even better would be pin locations you tapped into...

Pages 57 2-41 & 58 8-42  give the wire colors and the location, just put a jumper wire between the two. Cargo is gray/blue wire at X7 postion 4 & interior light wire is White/brown X7 positon 3. 2056016079_Screenshot2020-10-14072450.thumb.jpg.c2081b41de8a309e089dbc09c55b45d7.jpg 

Screenshot 2020-10-14 071621.jpg

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Hotwheel said:

Pages 57 2-41 & 58 8-42  give the wire colors and the location, just put a jumper wire between the two. Cargo is gray/blue wire at X7 postion 4 & interior light wire is White/brown X7 positon 3. 2056016079_Screenshot2020-10-14072450.thumb.jpg.c2081b41de8a309e089dbc09c55b45d7.jpg 

Screenshot 2020-10-14 071621.jpg

Now we are talking! Thanks a bunch!