2016 Silverado with Kumho MTs

Hello. I recently did a 3" front, 2" rear leveling kit in my 2016 Silverado. With the stock tires and wheels it drove and felt the same just slightly higher up. A week later I got the Kumho Road Venture MT71 in a 33x12.5R18. The tires looked great and fit well on the truck with the stock wheels. I did not do any kind of alignment yet. After driving 10 miles on these MTs it feels like the truck is sliding all over the road at any speed over 40mph. It is almost like being on ice. I am running 65psi in the tires. I daily drive this truck for about a hour a day.  Would this be an alignment issue or should I return these tires to Amazon for some ATs? I do not know anyone running this truck lifted with this size tires to compare. Anything would be greatly appreciated.

2020-11-02.jpg

That's way too much tire pressure for a half ton. Back that way down to 40-45psi.

For sure you need an alignment too.

Do those and see how it feels, mud tires on the pavement are not going to handle like AT tires. They will be even worse in heavy rain or snow.

Just my experience, but I had Kuhmo Road Venture AT51, and hated them. Brand new they were just ok, but quickly lost wet traction. I'd stay away from the brand entirely.

• Like 1

In my opinion Kumho only made one tire worth buying, ever.  The V710.  It was a good and very fast tire for auto cross.  I'd never buy anything for the street from them.  You should look at the Goodyear Duratracs if you want a very aggressive tire that works.

Its looks vs. function. I had some really nice looking nitto ridge grapplers Id wanted for the longest time, and while they wern't as bad as yours seem to be, they just didnt handle my 85mph commute speeds well at all (especially in the rain). I returned them to amz for full refund and threw stock michelins back on. So smooth and solid through 100. Those MTs wont get better - get out while you can if you aint happy...

So here's the results. Previously for the alignment after doing the 3" front and 2" rear leveling kit my alignment was only off on the right side camber by .90*, the toe was also almost exactly parallel where the spec was to be more slightly toed out. The person doing the alignment said it was close enough not to cause bad tire wear or drivability. Now for the tires. I swapped them out about 100 miles ago now. It is a night and day difference in drivability with the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. The truck no longer wonders and feel like its sliding all over the road. I know they are a different type of tire and the Nittos are more of a street tire for occasional off roading and the Kumhos are the exact opposite. I am happy with the Nittos and I wanted to share my opinion and outcome of this post thread in the hopes it will help someone with the same issue/questions. Thanks for the input everyone! 

On 11/11/2020 at 8:46 PM, Texas Daddy said:

Its looks vs. function. I had some really nice looking nitto ridge grapplers Id wanted for the longest time, and while they wern't as bad as yours seem to be, they just didnt handle my 85mph commute speeds well at all (especially in the rain). I returned them to amz for full refund and threw stock michelins back on. So smooth and solid through 100. Those MTs wont get better - get out while you can if you aint happy...

Amazon will take a return on tires that were mounted and driven on?  

• 1 month later...

I have a set of Kumho AT51......absolute junk, terrible in wet weather, so out of round did a Road Force balance and put the worse tires on the rear and the best on the front, never really balanced......30K and already worn to where they are useless in snow