2020 1500 Custom headlight upgrade to LEDs

25 minutes ago, b1bfixer said:

What’s a good LED swap for 2020 Silverado Custom. 

If I had a Custom, I'd get these Spyder projector headlights and LED high/low beam bulbs like the OP did.  Looks much better than the stock Custom headlights.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/244797-new-spyder-led-headlights-installed-‘19-‘21-silverado/?tab=comments#comment-2472955

Even though the look isn't my cup of tea that is the proper way to do it rather than slapping a set of LED's in a halogen headlight and blinding everyone. Sounds like Spyder is one of the main brands, so they might have style options. Tons of info out there on the LED swap so take a look around, it has been asked a ton and there are many threads detailing it. Either way buy a new headlight and sell your stockers to get some of that money back.  

Tyler

Changing to LED lights on my 2020 Silverado Custom Double Cab was my first modification.  The improvement was well worth the effort and the cost of LED lights in comparison to other mods was relatively affordable.  I purchased my lights from Amazon.  The high beams are Sirius branded and the low beams are CZ bulbs.  They fit nicely under the factory dust covers and the improvement in night time visibility is well worth the effort.  The low beams were relatively simple to install from the top, but the high beams were a challenge because of the longer reach needed to access them.  I found the easiest way to install the high beams was to pull the front wheels and partially undo the front fender liners to provide direct access.  My only question was whether or not the factory dust covers provided enough air space for the LED lights to run efficiently without overheating, and so far the lights have performed wonderfully.  I've attached some photos that show that the improvement

Lights Front.jpg

Low Beam.jpg

High Beam.jpg

That is a good difference!!  Have you had any issues with these?  Another big thing, have any other drivers flashed you because your lights were too bright?  I used to get that a lot in one of my older trucks that had SilverStar lights installed that were super bright.  Were your LEDs plug and play or did you have to alter anything?

11 minutes ago, LordOdin said:

That is a good difference!!  Have you had any issues with these?  Another big thing, have any other drivers flashed you because your lights were too bright?  I used to get that a lot in one of my older trucks that had SilverStar lights installed that were super bright.  Were your LEDs plug and play or did you have to alter anything?

It's not the brightness that blinds oncoming traffic. It's the aim. I.E. take a bright LED flashlight and shine it in someone's eyes; it will blind them. Lower the beam towards their neck/chest and it won't be blinding. Most people level trucks and don't aim the lights and blinds people.  I assure you, it's not because you had "super bright" Silver Stars. Those are DOT approved bulbs. It's because your lights were aimed too high.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, LordOdin said:

So far, no issues at all and no "flashing" from other drivers.  The bulbs were plug and play with no adapters needed.

4 hours ago, It's Tim said:

With more peeps needing "super bright" headlights it sounds like night blindness is becoming a serious issue.

I'll tell you what...My eyes have gone downhill the older I get...Driving at night was never an issue in my 20s and 30s, my 40s have kicked my butt!!!

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2020 at 3:24 PM, Flatblack83 said:

Upgraded to high country headlights, trailboss grille with gen5DIY.com harness. All plug and play, drl's work perfect. Sold all my custom parts and really have less than 500.00 invested

20201011_102820.jpg

How much was this conversion in total? Grill included

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2020 at 5:27 PM, Nickisfatt said:

How much was this conversion in total? Grill included

I bought it all from ebay,  looked for the best deals.  If you sell all the custom parts you will come out pretty good. Mine came to about 500.00. Here is an approximate break down. The light prices are all over the place.  I didnt know mine were high country till they arrived.

1k for the lights

250 harness

400 grille( color matched)

Sold on ebay

Custom lights 400 each

350 grille 

Edited by Flatblack83

• 2 years later...
On 11/9/2020 at 3:24 PM, Flatblack83 said:

Upgraded to high country headlights, trailboss grille with gen5DIY.com harness. All plug and play, drl's work perfect. Sold all my custom parts and really have less than 500.00 invested

20201011_102820.jpg

I'm doing almost the same but do I really need the harness in order to make them work? I plugged in the new headlights but they won't work