Backup Camera Angle

I bought a new 2020 Silverado 1500 and the backup camera is set at an odd angle. It looks to be skewed to the left as you can plainly see an increasing amount of the tailgate across the monitor. I thought it would be a simple fix, but call the local Chevy service department to see if it is a common problem with a fix. I was told that’s the way it’s supposed to be. I know the camera is off-center in the gate latch handle, but it’s a little confusing while backing up since the guidelines are centered, but the camera is skewed. Also the viewing area seems magnified beyond what I would consider normal. Has anyone else had these issues?

8CACD2BD-8A6F-43B8-9BA8-39B67CBD567B.jpeg

• 1 month later...

That is definitely not a software issue! It seems like the camera might have shifted in the tailgate button module. Ill take my tailgate apart tomorrow and see if there is any camera adjustment of any kind. (My camera is perfectly centered, but that seems rude of the service department to dismiss it as a software issue.)

The below information request would indicate this is a known issue:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10183794-9999.pdf

I have the RPO QK1 tailgate mentioned in this bulletin. I am going to take a closer look to check alignment next time I back up.

No expertise implied or expressed

Edited by RWTJR
Fix link

10 hours ago, RWTJR said:

The below information request would indicate this is a known issue:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10183794-9999.pdf

I have the RPO QK1 tailgate mentioned in this bulletin. I am going to take a closer look to check alignment next time I back up.

No expertise implied or expressed

This is actually an old version of it. The new version is 

#PIE0589A: Engineering Information - Request for Pictures On Rear View Camera Not Aligned Customer Concerns - (Nov 30, 2020)

We actually fixed on of these recently. Shim the left side handle retainer with a .50mm/0.02" flat washer

This isn't the repair for it in GM SI. But it will fix the concern.

Capture.JPG.f0384d41ded154f7498252e245ae412d.JPG

21 hours ago, Aaaaaaaayush said:

That is definitely not a software issue! It seems like the camera might have shifted in the tailgate button module. Ill take my tailgate apart tomorrow and see if there is any camera adjustment of any kind. (My camera is perfectly centered, but that seems rude of the service department to dismiss it as a software issue.)

Ya im not really sure what to do when they refuse to fix it cause its software.

• 4 months later...

I am having the same crooked camera issue with my 2021 TB with the QK1 tailgate.  It is at the dealership today being looked at and they are awaiting a response GM technical assistance for more direction.  They would not use the shim fix as noted above without permission.  Dealership did try to swap cameras but it did not fix the problem.  Does anyone know if GM has a fix yet?

• 5 months later...

Over the last year I have called the dealership a couple of times about the crooked camera issue since I first reported the problem. No fix identified. I called again today to ask if GM has a fix for the crooked backup camera yet. Apparently this is not a widespread problem as the gentleman I spoke with had never heard of it.

He did search for a bulletin addressing the problem, and found one. A manual software update is supposed to fix it . I’m taking it in to see if that actually fixes the problem. Will post again after the software download. 

Hey odarevliS, keep us posted, I just called my service advisor to follow up with this.  I have have the same issue with my 2020 1500 Crew Cab since I bought it.. So at 0 miles this was crooked.  I will also post back with whatever happens with my service advisor/information.  

20211130_103734.jpg

Edited by Parrish Mooneyham

Parrish, I believe the service bulletin is NHSTA #22NA136. Info I found on car complaints.com states that NHSTA has not published this bulletin but to request a copy from your a Chevrolet service department. The description of the bulletin doesn’t sound exactly like what’s happening with my camera. 

It says it’s “to correct a customer concern of Crooked Rear View Camera Guideline Image on Radio Display.”