8 speed suddenly went out. No forward or reverse gears

21 minutes ago, flyingfool said:

I would contact a professional transmission builder, they know what the good parts are and where to get them. do your own due diligence..

Isn’t that part of the purpose of car/truck forums, so that people can share their experiences and advice with others?  ?

after awhile we get tired of helping others who dont bring anything to the table.. kinda like a relationship, participate or GTFO.. alot of time the answer has been given over 100 times and no one response to those who dont search

Edited by flyingfool

1 hour ago, flyingfool said:

after awhile we get tired of helping others who dont bring anything to the table.. kinda like a relationship, participate or GTFO.. alot of time the answer has been given over 100 times and no one response to those who dont search

That’s why I made this post, I’ve searched for posts with others who lost forward and reverse suddenly in their 8-speed with no overheating issues and didn’t find any.  So I wanted to see if anyone else had encountered the same or similar issue and maybe not posted about it.  Before I started getting the delayed engagement and hard 1-2 shift happening on the trans about a year and half ago, I had no issues with the 8-speed and it shifted great.  That’s why I’m assuming this may be related?

Same guy gave us all grief for trying to get the dealer to fix our clunky leafs and then makes a post asking about part numbers when he takes his to the dealer for...............you guessed it clunking leafs. As far as the 8 speeds, thats the first I have heard of complete failure like that, maybe you can get some help from GM since they know these trannys have alot of known issues. 

56 minutes ago, Chad2815 said:

Same guy gave us all grief for trying to get the dealer to fix our clunky leafs and then makes a post asking about part numbers when he takes his to the dealer for...............you guessed it clunking leafs. As far as the 8 speeds, thats the first I have heard of complete failure like that, maybe you can get some help from GM since they know these trannys have alot of known issues. 

I hope so, I can’t find a lot of info I n complete failures on these 8L90’s either, especially on a basically stock engine.  Talked to the dealership today, it’s going on their rack tomorrow, so I’ll find out the verdict then. ??

On 12/1/2020 at 7:34 PM, kgkern01 said:

I hope so, I can’t find a lot of info I n complete failures on these 8L90’s either, especially on a basically stock engine.  Talked to the dealership today, it’s going on their rack tomorrow, so I’ll find out the verdict then. ??

Update?

3 minutes ago, kgkern01 said:

They were supposed to put it on the rack Wed, I drove by Thurs morning and it wasn’t outside anymore, however I haven’t heard back yet.  So hopefully on Monday.

Stop in, say you forgot something in the center console, and need to get in the truck.

Just so you know what is going on, could be good, maybe bad, saw way too many parts on the ground when I saw my 16 with the engine coming out.

So I finally have an update.  They said they pulled the pan and the fluid was black and burnt, even though I’ve never seen over 200* on the trans gauge, and it had the updated flush done last summer.  I asked them what failed, and they said they didn’t tear the transmission apart, based on the fluid and small debris in the pan,, they are replacing the transmission.  GM and the dealership is covering $1800 of the cost, I’m getting a new transmission from GM with 3yr/100k warranty.  I still have to pay $3800, but I can live with that amount for a brand new trans and 100k warranty on it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kgkern01 said:

So I finally have an update.  They said they pulled the pan and the fluid was black and burnt, even though I’ve never seen over 200* on the trans gauge, and it had the updated flush done last summer.  I asked them what failed, and they said they didn’t tear the transmission apart, based on the fluid and small debris in the pan,, they are replacing the transmission.  GM and the dealership is covering $1800 of the cost, I’m getting a new transmission from GM with 3yr/100k warranty.  I still have to pay $3800, but I can live with that amount for a brand new trans and 100k warranty on it.

Could be worse. Glad it worked out alright for you