2021 6.2L Trail Boss Issues?!

Hey,

I am currently looking at a new 2021 LT Trail Boss with the 6.2. The truck I was looking at had roughly 166 miles on it on the chevy dealer site listed as new inventory. This seemed fairly high for a new truck so I asked about it and My salesman informed me the truck was purchased last week. On the drive home the new truck broke down and was sent back to the dealer. It is now listed on there site again (or was never taken down) but they don't know what the original issue was with it, but the dealer got it back and sold the guy a different truck.

My guess is possible a valve spring issue that I have been seeing? They are checking the issue out tomorrow. But wanted some thoughts on if the truck is still worth $55+k as listed currently or if being being purchased once and having an issue y'all thought maybe I should stay away or try to get a good deal out of it?

I would stay away. It’s a used truck by definition. No way that is a new truck. It has been registered already and you would be the 2nd owner. Some banks will not count it as a new vehicle for loan rate purposes. Some banks consider any vehicle under a year old and under 5,000 miles to qualify as new. The main reason I would stay away is because that dealer seems super shady (like most Chevy dealers in my experience) and the truck has unknown issues that may leave you without a working vehicle. A lot of dealers nowadays will deliver even out of state free of charge. 

I would stay away. It’s a used truck by definition. No way that is a new truck. It has been registered already and you would be the 2nd owner. Some banks will not count it as a new vehicle for loan rate purposes. Some banks consider any vehicle under a year old and under 5,000 miles to qualify as new. The main reason I would stay away is because that dealer seems super shady (like most Chevy dealers in my experience) and the truck has unknown issues that may leave you without a working vehicle. A lot of dealers nowadays will deliver even out of state free of charge. 

If it wasn’t registered it is still technically a “new” truck. Should be easy enough to pull the service records. If in fact it’s the engine issue I am sure it was fixed properly and you could probably get the truck at a pretty good price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

After considering the potential loan challenges, it would have to a "crazy Eddie" going out of business price.  And only after they provided me the contact of the original owner so I could here their side of the story.  If the dealer balks, then run don't walk away.

• Like 1

So the salesman called me back. The owner was driving the truck home after purchasing and the motor locked up. Sounds like it was for sure the valve issue the 6.2Ls have been having. They service department said the motor was lost and GM will be replacing it.

Unfortunately they will still be listing it as a new truck and not be dropping the price. I guess the contract was torn up and it was never titled so they claim it is still new. interesting story at least

• Sad 1

So the salesman called me back. The owner was driving the truck home after purchasing and the motor locked up. Sounds like it was for sure the valve issue the 6.2Ls have been having. They service department said the motor was lost and GM will be replacing it.

Unfortunately they will still be listing it as a new truck and not be dropping the price. I guess the contract was torn up and it was never titled so they claim it is still new. interesting story at least

By the law it is still considered new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep if the paperwork was never submitted, it’s still a new truck. I wouldn’t buy it with a replaced motor. There’s no reason for the dealer to take off enough to make it worth it for you. It’s better for them to

just sell it to someone else who doesn’t know about the history. 

4 hours ago, newdude said:

I wouldn't hesitate if its got a new engine but if they aren't willing to deal even after they disclosed it to you I'd walk.  

Getting a new motor isn't the issue. Being torn down a thousand pieces installing it is. No way i'd pay a new truck price for that.

Edited by polarys425