Airbag removal help (steering wheel removal)

I’m trying to fix the pop in the steering wheel. There is the PIT for it and I have the parts.

i initially thought there was a hole on each side of the wheel to insert a tool and push a retaining spring to release the airbag. But on the 2015 Yukon Denali the holes are covered. (Pic attached)

i saw a video where the guy pokes a hole in the wheel.

this can’t be right. Is it like the Colorado/canyon where you take off the column trim, rotate the wheel 180° and insert a screw driver from the bottom (no one top) to release it?

any help?

26B04B93-E45F-4048-B45A-F4E026962F2B.jpeg

I’m trying to fix the pop in the steering wheel. There is the PIT for it and I have the parts.

i initially thought there was a hole on each side of the wheel to insert a tool and push a retaining spring to release the airbag. But on the 2015 Yukon Denali the holes are covered. (Pic attached)

i saw a video where the guy pokes a hole in the wheel.

this can’t be right. Is it like the Colorado/canyon where you take off the column trim, rotate the wheel 180° and insert a screw driver from the bottom (no one top) to release it?

any help?

26B04B93-E45F-4048-B45A-F4E026962F2B.thumb.jpeg.77dadd9c3d05456d4760630a62fbd893.jpeg

Unfortunately, yes this what you have to do

Check at 6:40

Installation video is here because of wires

at 21:33

• 2 years later...
On 12/19/2020 at 6:16 PM, Texas Daddy said:

That's not the only way. Watch this video for adding heated wheel (and add one if you don't have one)...

I know this is old but for those looking for this answer. This video only really works on the keyed models. On the SUVs most of which are keyless you have to poke the holes. No way I could find to get around the column lock on keyless models.