2020 Silverado Traillboss Custom 5.3 V8 WTF!

Gus M

15 minutes ago, TNTSilverado said:

I agree with @Transient here because I did the same thing today with my High Country. Washed it in a heated bay with high pressure washer. We have had a blizzard past 2 days and I wanted to get all the grime, salt, and chemical $hit off my truck.  Took me an hour and half to wash and dry it.  Truck took a ton of water in on the front end because it was covered with “grime” from driving on interstate. Truck started up just fine. There has to be something else going on with this issue. Plus, with all those videos I posted earlier in the thread.  These Trailboss’s have been tortured by GM themselves along with all kinds of car magazine publishers. I can’t see how OPs truck did what it did.  There is an underlying problem. Hopefully it get taken care of. 

Yeah I can’t understand how this happened either. I got my insurance involved but will still keep trying to get a hold of GM. Sounds crazy 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2021 at 12:00 AM, EricTheRed said:

Boy am I glad I got the 6.2L haha! Hopefully this “bigger better” engine will be able to handle a few puddles. 

It isn’t better. I hydro locked my 2020 6.2L Trail Boss last week. I’m in disbelief that it hydrolocked in a 5-7 inch puddle. Unbelievable. I may have to file an insurance claim. I don’t even want this truck anymore. I’ve only had it for 3 months. 

Edited by MrNurse

11 hours ago, MrNurse said:

It isn’t better. I hydro locked my 2020 6.2L Trail Boss last week. I’m in disbelief that it hydrolocked in a 5-7 inch puddle. Unbelievable. I may have to file an insurance claim. I don’t even want this truck anymore. I’ve only had it for 3 months. 

For real??

3 minutes ago, Transient said:

Yeah, he has a whole thread on it. It sounds questionable though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I google searched it and found about 4 people claiming to have hydro locked their Trailboss. Not a huge number but still interesting and a little concerning. Might have to replace the stock air box and roll with the performance CAI. Interestingly I can’t find it on the official GM accessory page anymore.....

On 1/16/2021 at 2:26 AM, Transient said:

So, after today I do have to question this situation, even though I posted a similar story earlier about how I can see it happening because it happened to me. I took my car to the wash today. It's one of those do it yourself places with the brush and high pressure sprayer. I decided to clean under the hood this time since it was dirty from 9,000 miles of driving. I did the engine degreaser, high pressure spray, low pressure spot free rinse, etc. I have the GM Performance intake. You betcha a ton of water went down that tube before the radiator. After I finished washing my truck I got into it and it fired right up. I drove it out of the bay with no difficulty at all. I drove her home, which included surface and interstate driving, and going up and down hills. When I got home I backed her into the driveway. Since then I took my son to the batting cages, took him to dinner, went home, realized my wife didn't feed our 2 kids and it was already 8pm so I got back into the truck, went and got food, and drove it back home. Several engine cycles, and no issues with water in the engine. Based on post #1, either the water was 4 feet high, or something else happened to the engine. I wonder if we're looking at a broken valve spring that resulted in engine failure? What's the build date on the truck? Truck was built in March, so I don't think that's the issue. Does it rain hard enough to get 4 feet of water in a parking lot in Los Angeles? I doubt it. It's not Norfolk, VA.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I agree with most of what your saying, there was literally 3”-4” max of water at the time this happened. I took it to a second dealer for a “2nd opinion” and they agree with me that this seems to be an issue with the vehicle. Obviously no water damage in the sense that I was in 4’ of or anything close to that. Actually just got a follow up call from GM yesterday that they will revisit this case and is now working with the new dealer I have the truck at. I have filed a claim through the BBB so I’m sure that lit the fire too. I also ha e a claim through my insurance but because it’s costing 13k for the repair they have to get “approval” from a senior advisor so there is some delay. Either way I have had now 3 brand new Silverado’s in the past 11 years and never had an issue with anyone of them until now. I always had the 2wd trucks and the first “off-road” truck does this I’m 3” of water? Seems crazy! 

14 hours ago, MrNurse said:

So GM finally got back to me yesterday after a month of nothing, not even a peep! They are going to “re-open” my case and see if they can get it right this time. I filed a claim through the BBB and that kind of lot a fire I believe but who knows. The point is I have filed a claim through my insurance and am waiting on approval because the cost is 13k to get a new engine. My truck had 9k miles and I had it only 9 months when this happened. What state do U live in? I’m in California (unfortunately)... 

23 minutes ago, Gus M said:

So GM finally got back to me yesterday after a month of nothing, not even a peep! They are going to “re-open” my case and see if they can get it right this time. I filed a claim through the BBB and that kind of lot a fire I believe but who knows. The point is I have filed a claim through my insurance and am waiting on approval because the cost is 13k to get a new engine. My truck had 9k miles and I had it only 9 months when this happened. What state do U live in? I’m in California (unfortunately)... 

13k? What are they replacing it with an LS7??

15 hours ago, MrNurse said:

I was joking, bud.

• 5 months later...

I just recently replaced my motor to my 2020 LT TrailBoss due to that reason. Is there something you can put over the hole of the air intake hose near the radiator? I heard a cold air intake with a water resistant cover for the filter works......

• 2 weeks later...

I drove through a foot of water with my 19 trail trailboss and hydrolocked mine. I'm floored. Filed with my insurance company and my adjusted told me he had 23 claims for silverados in a flood last week. Says it appears to be the design of the intake location. My 15 silverado never had a problem. 

On 7/23/2021 at 3:23 PM, SteveL416 said:

I just recently replaced my motor to my 2020 LT TrailBoss due to that reason. Is there something you can put over the hole of the air intake hose near the radiator? I heard a cold air intake with a water resistant cover for the filter works......

• 2 weeks later...

My 2018 Z71 is sitting at the shop with a possibly hydro locked engine right now. Went on a forestry road through about a foot of water and water made its way up to the CAI. Shop says it’s either a dead starter or a hydro locked motor. The water was just under my knees when I ran the tow line to have it pulled out so I find it hard to believe I killed it. When I tried to restart it, it tried to turn over at first but now nothing. Does comprehensive coverage cover hydrolocked engines?

5 hours ago, jaxsilverfox said:

My 2018 Z71 is sitting at the shop with a possibly hydro locked engine right now. Went on a forestry road through about a foot of water and water made its way up to the CAI. Shop says it’s either a dead starter or a hydro locked motor. The water was just under my knees when I ran the tow line to have it pulled out so I find it hard to believe I killed it. When I tried to restart it, it tried to turn over at first but now nothing. Does comprehensive coverage cover hydrolocked engines?

yes, premium will go up though.

Edited by topgear1224