2020 Silverado Traillboss Custom 5.3 V8 WTF!

Gus M

37 minutes ago, Tjeli said:

Ask them to show you actual proof that this happened.  I still don't see how its possible with the intake design on our trucks.  I am leaning towards a mistake they made on your last oil change and they are trying to cover it up.

How would this explain the water in the intake? 

How's the gasket at the air box side of the air intake tube that comes from behind the grill? I installed the GM Performance intake on my truck and found that to be very loose for a factory install. Lots of wiggle room on that end of the tube.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, SPASierra said:

Has OP gone ahead and filed the claim with his insurance, or is it sitting in the back lot of the dealer racking up storage fees?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have filed a claim with my insurance. Especially because GM has not got back to me with any definitive answer on anything. 

8 hours ago, Transient said:

How's the gasket at the air box side of the air intake tube that comes from behind the grill? I installed the GM Performance intake on my truck and found that to be very loose for a factory install. Lots of wiggle room on that end of the tube.

Not sure the dealer has gone through it so I’m sure everything is loose now 

1 hour ago, Tjeli said:

There is still no possible way this could happen driving through 3" of water.  Not even if you were going 100 MPH.

-Eli

My question from day 1. How could this happen and no one at the dealer or GM has given me a definitive answer. New motor cost about 10k out the door they can simply replace this at cost and cut that down to half but they refuse to help in any way. Well they haven’t refused they just don’t respond to me 

Gus

Go walk into the place and say WTF dont you people return phone calls?

That'll raise a few eyebrows and probably get you some action. No way in hell I would put up with b.s. like that .

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

Gus

Go walk into the place and say WTF dont you people return phone calls?

That'll raise a few eyebrows and probably get you some action. No way in hell I would put up with b.s. like that .

Hahaha, the problem is GM isn’t responding and they’re in Detroit. I’m in California (unfortunately) but I agree this is some BS.

Hahaha, the problem is GM isn’t responding and they’re in Detroit. I’m in California (unfortunately) but I agree this is some BS.

I'd still go into the dealer where your dead truck is at and still say WTF. Make them call Detroit.

Life is too short to have to spend time dicking around like this.

39 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

I'd still go into the dealer where your dead truck is at and still say WTF. Make them call Detroit.

Life is too short to have to spend time dicking around like this.

For sure, I just had it towed to another dealer yesterday because the last dealer was useless. I’ll give it a day or 2 max to see what the response is here. This mew spot seems like they have it together but who knows. 

So, after today I do have to question this situation, even though I posted a similar story earlier about how I can see it happening because it happened to me. I took my car to the wash today. It's one of those do it yourself places with the brush and high pressure sprayer. I decided to clean under the hood this time since it was dirty from 9,000 miles of driving. I did the engine degreaser, high pressure spray, low pressure spot free rinse, etc. I have the GM Performance intake. You betcha a ton of water went down that tube before the radiator. After I finished washing my truck I got into it and it fired right up. I drove it out of the bay with no difficulty at all. I drove her home, which included surface and interstate driving, and going up and down hills. When I got home I backed her into the driveway. Since then I took my son to the batting cages, took him to dinner, went home, realized my wife didn't feed our 2 kids and it was already 8pm so I got back into the truck, went and got food, and drove it back home. Several engine cycles, and no issues with water in the engine. Based on post #1, either the water was 4 feet high, or something else happened to the engine. I wonder if we're looking at a broken valve spring that resulted in engine failure? What's the build date on the truck? Truck was built in March, so I don't think that's the issue. Does it rain hard enough to get 4 feet of water in a parking lot in Los Angeles? I doubt it. It's not Norfolk, VA.

I agree with @Transient here because I did the same thing today with my High Country. Washed it in a heated bay with high pressure washer. We have had a blizzard past 2 days and I wanted to get all the grime, salt, and chemical $hit off my truck.  Took me an hour and half to wash and dry it.  Truck took a ton of water in on the front end because it was covered with “grime” from driving on interstate. Truck started up just fine. There has to be something else going on with this issue. Plus, with all those videos I posted earlier in the thread.  These Trailboss’s have been tortured by GM themselves along with all kinds of car magazine publishers. I can’t see how OPs truck did what it did.  There is an underlying problem. Hopefully it get taken care of. 

Edited by TNTSilverado
  • Like 1