Hey! I have been mulling over the idea of trading in my '19 Silverado LD with the 5.3L for a '20 Silverado with the 3.0L Duramax. I primarily do highway driving which I think would translate to some decent savings as far as fuel costs go. However, during the colder months of the year we see anywhere between -15C to -35C (5F to -31F) or colder. My main concern is leaving the truck parked outside at work for 8-10 hours during these days without being able to plug in. Will there be significant issues starting? Should I still be considering the switch in engines or should I stick with the 5.3L due to the colder climate.

If temps are regularly in the -35C range I'm a little surprised there aren't plug-in's available.

GM has suggested the 3.0L doesn't really require plug-in until the -25C(-13F) range. 

• Thanks 1

The truck still has glow plugs. The ECM holds off starting the truck until it sees the temperature in the engine from the plugs. Mine has shown the "Wait to Start" light several times for a period before starting. As said above, GM doesn't recommend plugging it in until it is lower than a certain temperature. These engines will not lug as much when starting as the larger diesel engines that are using thicker oil. The 3.0 has 0w20 oil spec. 

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, toasty said:

do the 3.0's even come with the engine heater?

Yes.

LM2   Engine, Duramax 3.0L Turbo-Diesel I6, (277 hp [206.6 kW] @ 3750 rpm, 460 lb-ft of torque [623.7 N-m] @ 1500 rpm)
1 - Includes (KW5) 220-amp alternator and (K05) engine block heater.
2 - Standard on TK10743 models. Includes (KW5) 220-amp alternator and (K05) engine block heater.

And from one of the GM bulletins about the 3.0L

Also inform the customer to avoid engine block heater use in temperatures above 0°F/–18°C. While the owner’s manual states an engine block heater should be used in temperatures less than 0°F/–18°C, it isn’t vital until much lower temperatures of less than –13°F/–25°C.

Edited by redwngr

26 minutes ago, Jcollette33 said:

If you plug it in before the temp is at or below the recommended temp, you could possibly get a CEL and your fan will run on high until the code is cleared or the truck is ran for six or so hrs. Ask me how I know. 

Did they discontinue using the thermal switch on the block heaters? 

They use to have one to prevent just this sort of thing.

Lord, they would leave lug nuts off to save a nickel.

I’m not sure if they did or not. I just know that it happened to me a year ago when I plugged my truck in when it was 4 deg over night. The remote start wouldn’t work the next morning and when I started it by hand the cel was on and the engine fan was on high. When I took it to the dealership they told me not to plug it in unless it was at the recommended temp. 

• Like 1

I’ve only plugged in a few times. Mainly if it’s going to be close to zero and the truck is sitting. (Thanks Covid)

I’ve only gotten the wait to start light once for a few seconds and that was at -12. The 3.0 uses electronic dampeners. Once you shut the truck off the dampeners close retaining the engine heat. My truck sits outside for 10-12hours a day at work and haven’t had an issue. There is also no winter blanket available unlike the HD’s in the past.