The Flushmount CB Project...

Hey there!

I know CB Radios are pretty much a thing of the past, but I'm old (well, relatively) and I find them to be really useful!  I have flushmounted a few in the past, so this is nothing new to me.

In my 1500 I went with an all in one unit (display in the mic), but it always seemed to be too bulky.  This time I found the President Bill CB.  This thing is tiny!  It actually has a lot of features, and the only thing I miss is not having a PA system, but the compact size makes up for it.  The radio works well, even with my little 2' Firestick antenna.

Here are some pics of the install.  I'm REALLY happy with the finished result.  If anyone wants more details, I will be happy to help! 

Let me know what you think.

WdVsP8I.jpg

K8BR7ev.jpg

ok8j0Pz.jpg

KztlLiY.jpg

R9TCyVK.jpg

SDzWYk7.jpg

Rde1eHf.jpg

GdfOlj9.jpg

zOxlUyb.jpg

jfNzw0U.jpg

h4JYOm0.jpg

• Like 2

2way radios are still quite common around my parts but they are mostly all for vhf/uhf use on radio controlled forestry and oilfield roads. 

I’d be concerned with water getting in the cab with how the antenna wire is routed if you were to ever go through an auto car wash with undercarriage wash but other than that clean install. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2021 at 7:49 AM, L8T said:

2way radios are still quite common around my parts but they are mostly all for vhf/uhf use on radio controlled forestry and oilfield roads. 

I’d be concerned with water getting in the cab with how the antenna wire is routed if you were to ever go through an auto car wash with undercarriage wash but other than that clean install. 

Well that’s a great point I hadn’t considered. I’ll address that. Thank you!

I only mention it cuz someone wired in some external wifi booster into one of our work trucks and they routed it that way instead of through a strain relief or sealed grommet. The undercarriage wash kept flooding the back under and on top of the rubber floor. 

• Thanks 1

Good job.  I'm in the process of installing my ham radio and a CB radio in my center console, under the arm rest lid.  I rarely use the CB but the ham radio will get used almost daily.  It will have a remote head mount to put on dash and remote mic mount as well.  Will post photos when done.  Had a nice setup similar in my 08 LMMs. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Looks real clean. How did you do the antenna, did you just drill a hole to match the diameter of the antenna mount? What part did you use, or do you have any pictures of the underneath?

thanks!

23 hours ago, nichos said:

Looks real clean. How did you do the antenna, did you just drill a hole to match the diameter of the antenna mount? What part did you use, or do you have any pictures of the underneath?

thanks!

Thanks!

It's just a Firestik Firering CB mount.  I drilled a hole to match like you posted, but I used a stainless fender washer underneath to spread the load better. 

19 hours ago, Limelight said:

Thanks!

It's just a Firestik Firering CB mount.  I drilled a hole to match like you posted, but I used a stainless fender washer underneath to spread the load better. 

Great, thanks - I put mine through one of the stakeholes, but I don't think it's getting a good ground.

1 hour ago, itsnotlookinggood said:

boy that looks sharp!! Anyone add one w/o center console?

I have, but I've just been resting it on the transmission hump. I'm going to mount it on the bottom below the switches. I haven't done it yet, I'm trying to justify buying the president mckinley before putting hold in :)

• 2 weeks later...

@Limelightanother question for you - where did you tap in for power? I'm pretty trigger shy here, long story short, I had a uniden bearcat that I put on the accessory on the passenger side fuse box and fried the whole thing (the fuze box, not the CB). Cost me about $400 to replace (there's actually a board behind it) ☹️

So I was going to connect under the engine hood, but also want it on switched power.

Thanks in advance!

6 hours ago, nichos said:

@Limelightanother question for you - where did you tap in for power? I'm pretty trigger shy here, long story short, I had a uniden bearcat that I put on the accessory on the passenger side fuse box and fried the whole thing (the fuze box, not the CB). Cost me about $400 to replace (there's actually a board behind it) ☹️

So I was going to connect under the engine hood, but also want it on switched power.

Thanks in advance!

I did connect it to the passenger side fusebox- one of the exposed lugs in the center.  It's switched and it's retained power so perfect for the CB.  Need to fuse the lead!

13 hours ago, Limelight said:

I did connect it to the passenger side fusebox- one of the exposed lugs in the center.  It's switched and it's retained power so perfect for the CB.  Need to fuse the lead!

Thanks - I think I'm going to go through the firewall, I don't know why but my bearcat fried that whole passenger side fuse block. It was fine w/my dashcam, but as soon as I hooked the CB up it was toast.

24 minutes ago, slj2008 said:

ANY Photo's of installed - With NO center console ?

Give me about a week, I'm going to get this installed sometime this week after work. I have a jump seat.